What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is this too good of a deal to pass on?  (Read 5549 times)

Dolly1967

Is this too good of a deal to pass on?
« on: April 04, 2016, 05:02:04 pm »
Hello spa owners,
My husband and I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new strong spa at  a greatly reduced price. It is a long story but I'll try to keep it short...
A good friend bought this tub from a trucking company out of their discount salvage business. In transport the box got damaged and a very small piece of plastic underneath (nothing to compromise the integral structure) got cracked you can't even see the crack unless you get down on hands and knees and look under the unit. The buyer refused to take it and the shipping company was stuck with it. This spa really is in mint condition and never been used.
There is no manual with it and I am assuming no warranty because the friend did not buy directly from a dealer.
We know it is a strong spa and believe it is a Madrid 60 5-6 seater with lounge.
So based on what I can see it is approximately a $10,000 spa and we are able to buy it for $3,000. We think this is probably a really great deal but...
Reviews on Strong Spas seem hard to find, we live on the East Coast of Canada where winters can be very cold and snowy amd we would be using it at the cottage (we use the cottage all year round) but mostly only on weekends through the winter and more often in summer and fall. This would be our very first spa.
Does anyone have any opinions, advice, watch outs on this deal? Does it sound too good to be true or is it possibly the deal of the century?  Thanks in advance for any input/opinions.

Hot Tub Forum

Is this too good of a deal to pass on?
« on: April 04, 2016, 05:02:04 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Is this too good of a deal to pass on?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 06:59:22 am »
Hello spa owners,
My husband and I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new strong spa at  a greatly reduced price. It is a long story but I'll try to keep it short...
A good friend bought this tub from a trucking company out of their discount salvage business. In transport the box got damaged and a very small piece of plastic underneath (nothing to compromise the integral structure) got cracked you can't even see the crack unless you get down on hands and knees and look under the unit. The buyer refused to take it and the shipping company was stuck with it. This spa really is in mint condition and never been used.
There is no manual with it and I am assuming no warranty because the friend did not buy directly from a dealer.
We know it is a strong spa and believe it is a Madrid 60 5-6 seater with lounge.
So based on what I can see it is approximately a $10,000 spa and we are able to buy it for $3,000. We think this is probably a really great deal but...
Reviews on Strong Spas seem hard to find, we live on the East Coast of Canada where winters can be very cold and snowy amd we would be using it at the cottage (we use the cottage all year round) but mostly only on weekends through the winter and more often in summer and fall. This would be our very first spa.
Does anyone have any opinions, advice, watch outs on this deal? Does it sound too good to be true or is it possibly the deal of the century?  Thanks in advance for any input/opinions.

First off there is no such thing as a 10,000 dollar Strong Spa. They are a value brand that sell from 2000-5000 bucks. Does that change your opinion of whether it's a good deal or not? If you build something worth 3000 bucks and price it at 10,000 bucks. Does that make it a good deal at 3000 bucks?

Basic parts inside, messy layout with little to no thought on engineering smooth water flow, and lacking on insulation. But if your looking for a value tub at a value price they are one of many choices you have. Wet test it along side of others to see if it's comfortable for you.
Retired

kporter

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:56:08 pm »
What Tman said.

I will be blunt.
Personally speaking I think you are about to spend 3,000 to disappoint yourself.  A hot tub with no warranty. One of the first things you see on their website is a winterizing guide...East Coaster beware.
http://www.strongspas.com/premium-madrid-60
No mention of local service or support. The fact that you actually have no idea what actually happened to this hot tub and what may be wrong. Red flags all over the place for me. Find a good hot tub locally and put your 3k towards something you can feel good about.

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 02:18:43 pm »
When we were shopping for our tub I stopped at a smaller local place and they had just one tub left they were going out of the tub business to just do pools and the guy said I’m getting to old to crawl in a snow bank in feb to fix a tub. The one he had left was a demo that he had filled for a short time and then sat empty for 5 years. it was a name brand that was no longer in business and a really nice tub and he was letting me have it for “Half” price and it was actually less than half the price of the Caldara we ended up buying with mostly the same quality and features. I asked about a warrantee and he said that was long gone but he would cover it for 90 days himself just because he felt good about doing that. I thought about it a lot and decided no. That was a year ago and I went in to buy diclor a week ago and it is still sitting there. I would pass on your deal, or maybe not pass throw them a wild low number and see what they say. Tell them you will take it off their hands for $500 or something like that.   8)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 05:10:30 pm »
"a name brand that was no longer in business" ???? Bit of an oxymoron eh?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 06:00:03 pm »

You sure your not from Canada?
Retired

bud16415

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:10 pm »

You sure your not from Canada?

All brands have a name. I can’t remember the name next time I stop I will ask. Keep in mind when you are a hot tub salesman selling a used tub to a first time buyer the term name brand slips right off your tongue.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42