What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Stand on cover???  (Read 3305 times)

bobaloo

Stand on cover???
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:40:58 pm »
My spa is inside a screened porch.  I am stringing lights along the roof and can't get a ladder between the hot tub and wall where I want the lights.  Is it possible to stand on the cover with my weight distributed on a piece of plywood?  I will only stand on the edge part of the cover that rests on the hot tub side wall.  My hot tub is a Hot Springs Limelight Glow with standard cover that came with it.  Could that also damage the wall of the spa?  Anyone ever do this before?  I weigh 230lbs.  :o

Hot Tub Forum

Stand on cover???
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:40:58 pm »

MarKee

Re: Stand on cover???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:53:04 pm »
I think the Limelights come with a 1.5 lb density foam cover, which isn't super strong.  Even a 2 lb. density cover can crack with the right amount of pressure.  Plywood might help spread out the weight but it still sounds iffy.  Can you not stand on the lip of the spa shell with the cover off?

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:35:31 pm »
Or possibly take the cover off and add two pieces of plywood or some 2x4 runners to reinforce their strength?  The foam is  prone to be indented or could feasibly crack.  Most have a 300lb load capacity but that is more for things like snow that would be evenly distributed, versus the dead weight or a person.

I stack spas atop spas in my warehouse so I know the spa can take the weight.  I'd prefer if you took the cover off and put some runners across the tub and toss some plywood over it if you could.

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 07:01:54 pm »
Put clean cardboard under any wood you place on your tub edges.
Retired

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 10:13:22 pm »
Put clean cardboard under any wood you place on your tub edges.

I concur.  Also, it's 2 lbs. density.  The only Hot Spring spa's with less than that is the Hot Spot TX (1 lbs) or the Jetsetter (1.5)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 09:27:37 pm »
I have an indentation in my cover from two tiny girls that decided it was a good place to sit during a grad party! Water always puddles there and freezes..It's very visible and the cover was probably only 6 months old, so not a good thing :(  don't take a chance on compromising your cover..
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 07:35:41 am »
I have an indentation in my cover from two tiny girls that decided it was a good place to sit during a grad party! Water always puddles there and freezes..It's very visible and the cover was probably only 6 months old, so not a good thing :(  don't take a chance on compromising your cover..

My now 32 year old daughter is a bright human being, great mother, but one day many years ago I came on one a spring day and it was one of the first warm days, maybe 60F, but she was laying on the hot tub cover because it was warm. When I yelled at her to get off her reply was one of the dumbest things she ever said, "I knew you would yell"
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 07:35:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42