What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Vs Marquis  (Read 15057 times)

SOULRIC

Caldera Vs Marquis
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:43:07 pm »
Hi everyone:

I am doing research like I do on everything and think I have narrowed it down to 2 manufactures. Caldera & Marquis They both seem like higher end brands and I am trying to find what the real differences are performance wise quality of pump, jets, maintenance and insulation since I live in New England. One thing that stands out is the Marquis in made in the USA, but they seems more expensive? I work in the manufacturing industry and appreciate products made here.

If there is anyone out there that has some pros and cons of the 2 brands it would be greatly appreciated. I will wet test both at the end of the day but I tend to focus on how things are built and perform.

I also wanted to mention this purchase is more for therapy than leisure. I do have achy knees and shoulders so if one has better aspects in that department it would be good to know. I am also looking at a cost of 8 to 10k.

Thank you for any advise.

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Vs Marquis
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:43:07 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Caldera Vs Marquis
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 01:29:51 pm »
Hi everyone:

I am doing research like I do on everything and think I have narrowed it down to 2 manufactures. Caldera & Marquis They both seem like higher end brands and I am trying to find what the real differences are performance wise quality of pump, jets, maintenance and insulation since I live in New England. One thing that stands out is the Marquis in made in the USA, but they seems more expensive? I work in the manufacturing industry and appreciate products made here.

If there is anyone out there that has some pros and cons of the 2 brands it would be greatly appreciated. I will wet test both at the end of the day but I tend to focus on how things are built and perform.

I also wanted to mention this purchase is more for therapy than leisure. I do have achy knees and shoulders so if one has better aspects in that department it would be good to know. I am also looking at a cost of 8 to 10k.

Two well thought of brands and while it certainly matters what deal you can get on each, which might be visually preferable... since you say this is about therapy and that you're going to wet test then I'm not sure what else to say because that wet test should indicate which feels best and fits you best. The one thing I would add is that you should try to wet test them on the same day or at least the same weekend because it'll be easier to compare that way and if you know about how hot you like it then have them preset it to that temp ahead of time because some like it hot and some not so much (if you have no preference I'd hope they'd have it set at a typical temp like 100 or 101).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 01:46:02 pm »
Although Caldera is a decent spa, I think the fit-and-finish and quality is definitely a step up on the Marquis.  Do you know what Marquis model you're looking at?  If you're looking at the Signature Series, open up the front access panel and take a look inside, then also take a look at the Caldera insides.  It's going to look a lot cleaner and there will be a noticeable difference on how the spas are put together.  Unless they have changed in the last few years, Calderas are still using the wood-framed bottom, the Marquis Signature Series will have an ABS plastic pan that is better protected from the elements.  The HK-40 jets and Geyser jets in the Marquis Signature series are some of the best therapy jets in the industry, have you felt those yet?

SOULRIC

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 03:39:32 pm »
Although Caldera is a decent spa, I think the fit-and-finish and quality is definitely a step up on the Marquis.  Do you know what Marquis model you're looking at?  If you're looking at the Signature Series, open up the front access panel and take a look inside, then also take a look at the Caldera insides.  It's going to look a lot cleaner and there will be a noticeable difference on how the spas are put together.  Unless they have changed in the last few years, Calderas are still using the wood-framed bottom, the Marquis Signature Series will have an ABS plastic pan that is better protected from the elements.  The HK-40 jets and Geyser jets in the Marquis Signature series are some of the best therapy jets in the industry, have you felt those yet?

Thank you for the response, When looking at the Marquis I think the resort or the reward? When it comes to Caldera it would be the Martinique. I definitely want a lounger. Caldera seems to have one of the best warranties, but i figure out the exact one for Marquis which scares me a little.
I have not tested either spa, but I like the idea of the MicroSilk but not sure if it is a gimmick. I do have sensitive skin so it seems interesting.

Also if the jet quality is better on the Marquis That alone might sell me.

SOULRIC

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 03:42:24 pm »
Hi everyone:

Two well thought of brands and while it certainly matters what deal you can get on each, which might be visually preferable... since you say this is about therapy and that you're going to wet test then I'm not sure what else to say because that wet test should indicate which feels best and fits you best. The one thing I would add is that you should try to wet test them on the same day or at least the same weekend because it'll be easier to compare that way and if you know about how hot you like it then have them preset it to that temp ahead of time because some like it hot and some not so much (if you have no preference I'd hope they'd have it set at a typical temp like 100 or 101).

Well I guess I am lucky because I found a dealer that has both! It amazes me that the don't have long term financing since it is such a large amount?

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 04:11:45 pm »
I went to the International Pool, Spa & Patio Expo in November with the expressed mission to find another brand to carry in my showroom.  Disclaimer:  Caldera wasn't at the expo *but* they are here locally at a competitor's establishment and thus I am well versed with that brand.

Though I ultimately chose a different brand to carry in my showroom, Marquis was runner-up.  I was drawn to the as they are American-made, the GPM that their pumps and jets can produce, the ABS basin, the @ease chemical system, the MicroSilk option, the finer filtration option they had, and the overall contours/feel of their units.

But I always note that the brand is 50% of the equation:  The local dealer/distributor is the other half.  If the dealer is not reputable, hasn't carried the brand for a long time, etc... then those are major red flags.  The two brands I carry are fantastic.  But as I would tell anyone in other markets:  If their local dealer is shady/of low quality, then go with a different brand. 

Most importantly, and astutely pointed out by another poster on this thread above:  Find out what unit feels comfortable and what brands have the best-feeling jets.  A wet test is what will ultimately make your decision.  Unless your scruples dictate that you must by American, have a hankering for a certain aspect/feature of a brand, wet testing is most important.  The dealer would be next in importance, in my opinion.

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

SOULRIC

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »
I went to the International Pool, Spa & Patio Expo in November with the expressed mission to find another brand to carry in my showroom.  Disclaimer:  Caldera wasn't at the expo *but* they are here locally at a competitor's establishment and thus I am well versed with that brand.

Though I ultimately chose a different brand to carry in my showroom, Marquis was runner-up.  I was drawn to the as they are American-made, the GPM that their pumps and jets can produce, the ABS basin, the @ease chemical system, the MicroSilk option, the finer filtration option they had, and the overall contours/feel of their units.

But I always note that the brand is 50% of the equation:  The local dealer/distributor is the other half.  If the dealer is not reputable, hasn't carried the brand for a long time, etc... then those are major red flags.  The two brands I carry are fantastic.  But as I would tell anyone in other markets:  If their local dealer is shady/of low quality, then go with a different brand. 

Most importantly, and astutely pointed out by another poster on this thread above:  Find out what unit feels comfortable and what brands have the best-feeling jets.  A wet test is what will ultimately make your decision.  Unless your scruples dictate that you must by American, have a hankering for a certain aspect/feature of a brand, wet testing is most important.  The dealer would be next in importance, in my opinion.

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

Thank you for the incite, and I totally agree that a good dealer goes a long way. I have a few questions for you. You mentioned you know Caldera well do you also think Marquis has a better performing jets? You gave your opinion on Marquis but nothing on Caldera.

Also I have to ask what Spa company you ended up picking for your showroom? And why did you choose them over Marquis? I prefer to get as many opinions as possible especially on such a large purchase.

pmang

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 08:55:11 pm »
If you're looking for long term financing, Hot Spring just announced a 36 month, 0% deal... They have some great spas in your price range with loungers. I'm in New England also and recently bought one... Very happy with it... Worth checking out!

SOULRIC

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 09:15:47 pm »
If you're looking for long term financing, Hot Spring just announced a 36 month, 0% deal... They have some great spas in your price range with loungers. I'm in New England also and recently bought one... Very happy with it... Worth checking out!

Problem is if you don't pay in full in 36 months you get all the back interest!  Also Caldera is doing the same deal right now.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 09:29:27 pm »

Problem is if you don't pay in full in 36 months you get all the back interest!  Also Caldera is doing the same deal right now.

A lot of Marquis dealers are doing them36 month ones also. I'm in Mass and offering it through May 1st on Marquis tubs

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 10:48:11 pm »
Disclaimer-Markee sells Marquis.  I sell HotSpring.  Although Marquis is a decent spa, I think the fit-and-finish and quality is definitely a step up on the Caldera.  Caldera is made by Watkins, a Masco company, the world's largest spa manufacturer. The wood framed bottom is the same tried and true method they have been using for 40 years.  We still maintain Caldera and Hot Spring spas that are 20+ years old with this framing.  Not to worry in New England.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 12:01:29 am »
I agree, wood framing has performed for the life of every 20 year old quality tub I have disposed of.
Retired

SOULRIC

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 09:07:18 am »
I agree, wood framing has performed for the life of every 20 year old quality tub I have disposed of.

You seem like you have been around awhile? Do you also think the Marquis is a step up from Caldera? Also I took that whole picture above with a grain of salt, If it was that great the rest of the industry would try to do something similar.

I wasn't even thinking about the noise! thanks for pointing it out.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 11:53:15 am »
As you asked I'll explain. *NOTE:  I have no horse in this race so I will not sell you on my product.  Its merely an exchange of information.  It has to be first known that the brands discussed on this thread are all of top quality.  You are in the neighborhood and that is most important.  Nobody can insist one car brand is the best.  But I bet we can all agree that there are a handful of car brands that are above the rest.  This applies to hot tubs, in my opinion.  And you are dealing in the top echelon.  Kudos.*

I chose Artesian Spas.  I have carried Catalina Spas for over 25 years but they're so focused on swim spas that their spa line has suffered.  I chose Artesian as they have switchless motors, which have 10-15 less moving parts on their motors, which will encourage a longer lifespan for their motors. 

I like that they use DirectFlo, which places motors very close to the the area it is supplying, plumbing lines and reducing friction and getting the most out of their motors.  Additionally, they have up to 4 and 5 motors (excluding a circ pump) on their Island and Platinum lines if you really want to optimize a jet count of, say, 50-60+.  Think:  A smaller motor supplying a smaller jet count that is placed very close to said jets.  Multiply by 3, 4, 5... Get it?  You're buying the tub for hydrotherapy and I like the feel and the output of Artesian.

American-made is a big thing for me.  It may not be to others and that is fine.  Its something that I value, however. 

They have a warranty that can get you a full 5 years warranty on parts and labor, with neither being pro-rated.  I like that aspect. 

I also like their soft contours in their units.  Other brands I looked at had severe curves or were chunky and awkward. 

I am not a huge fan of options:  I like my tubs to be straightforward, and if a customer likes options, so be it.  I don't encourage add-ons.  However, if the customer wants something, Arestian has as many as the other brands, and a few things most dont.  @ease chemical system is something I enjoy.  I do not go for gimmicky stuff and I take water chemistry very seriously.  I've been in this business since '98 but Im still only 35.  I research things and @ease was something I liked.  It is only available on Artesian, Caldera and Marquis units.  However, @ease makes aftermarket options so there is that.

They have a top-end line called Platinum but in all honesty the Island line is practically just as good and you can save a few thousand dollars.  I like that I don't have to price-gouge my customers but can still offer a product that I feel can stand up to and (in my biased opinion) surpass the competition in my market:  Sundance, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Caldera, Bullfrog and Master Spas.

But again- You are looking at some fine brands all around.  So you're not likely to be making a poor decision.

Sorry for the dissertation on Artesian Spas.  I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

JustAnotherNewbie

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 03:21:35 pm »
I'm going to chime in here as well. Just to give an opinion from a non spa salesman. I second the wizards thoughts on Artesian. When we were researching our spa purchase. We didn't even consider Artesian at first. I had narrowed it down to Caldera,  HS, Jacuzzi, and Marquis. We were looking for a big family tub, (cantabria, grandee, j495, a8) luckily for us the Jacuzzi dealer also carried Artesian, and suggested we wet test the Grand Bahama elite after wet testing the J495. What a difference! We continued our testing of the others but ultimately purchased an Isla Margarita Elite. It was the best in the wet test and literally thousands less than the others. Good luck.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 03:21:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42