What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone used these chemicals?  (Read 12841 times)

CBrown.tx

Anyone used these chemicals?
« on: March 18, 2016, 12:08:25 pm »
Well couldn't add pic: the chemicals are Hot Tub Serum - Total Maint watercare & SpaGuard Oxidizer - Enhanced Shock for spas/hot tubs.

We got our hot tub delivered this week and the dealer provided these chemicals and said to add 2 capfulls of each and that's it.  Said to add 2 caps of each once a week.  So we added and tested the water the next morning using Taylor K2005 kit. Our chlorine levels didn't even register; water was clear.  The PH was off the scale in darkness.  So I added an additional cap of serum and waited another 6hrs.  Same result!

My father-in-law has a pool and he checked it with his test kit (different brand and looked much simplier) and some test strips he had.  At least now we had something registering on free chlorine but WAY high and Ph was between 8-8.5; He said we needed to add acid and once we got the Ph straight the chlorine would straighten out.  Note... both his kits and strips were showing relatively same numbers.

Trying to find faith in this system our dealer swears by but something doesn't make sense.  And where is the chlorine coming from? Just the shock?

I searched the forum and only found this reference of it with Ahh Some: http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,19278.msg195261.html#msg195261

Anyone used this stuff and suggestions one way or the other on what to do?

Thanks in advance
Chris

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone used these chemicals?
« on: March 18, 2016, 12:08:25 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Anyone used these chemicals?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 06:42:08 pm »
Is there any labeling on the bottles that say the ingredients? Yes you need acid to get your PH down. (Spa Down) There's alternatives to Spa Down but they are far trickier to handle. Oxidized, MPS (peroxymonopersulfate.....spelling) Enhanced shock usually has MPS and chlorine in it. Total Maintenence Water Care likely dichlor/bromine? (chlorine) Labels? Or MSDS.

You didn't mention your Total Alkalinity? (TA) or the Hardness of your water?
Retired

Compatico

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:42:35 pm »
Is there any labeling on the bottles that say the ingredients? Yes you need acid to get your PH down. (Spa Down) There's alternatives to Spa Down but they are far trickier to handle. Oxidized, MPS (peroxymonopersulfate.....spelling) Enhanced shock usually has MPS and chlorine in it. Total Maintenence Water Care likely dichlor/bromine? (chlorine) Labels? Or MSDS.

You didn't mention your Total Alkalinity? (TA) or the Hardness of your water?
Like Tman said, the shock is likely adding chlorine and your pH is too high. I've never used this "serum" stuff and have no idea what's in it. I tried to find out what's in the "serum" but the website doesn't say anything about ingredients and says water change every 6 months - which is way too long if you're using the tub almost every day. It might last 6 months before a change if you only use it on weekends which is rare especially for a new owner.

Since there's no science behind their product, it's probably just a clarifier with a scent and they're selling bulls#!t. I use the dichlor & bleach method and it's very easy to keep the tub clean and sanitized without all the other expensive chemicals.

MarKee

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 01:59:43 am »
Hot Tub Serum is made by the same company that makes Ahh-Some.  They make 2 products, one comes in a very small container and is a paste that will purge your plumbing of any build up or bio-film.  Works very well, just like Ahh-Some.  The second product comes in a container about a gallon is size.  This is the weekly maintenance product.  Works really well, prevents bio-film build up, and seems to eat up foam and oils.  The Hot Tub Serum products are expensive but they work well.

someguy

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 08:02:09 am »
Hot Tub Serum is a program that works.  There is science to back this up.  It is made by the same company that makes Ahh-Some Hot Tub Plumbing & Jet Cleaner.  Hot Tub Serum is a wonderful alternative to other higher priced maintenance hot tub chemical programs that are nothing more than Borate and Metasilicate.  These higher priced alternative programs are high profit centers for their retailers.  Hot Tub Serum dealers offer a 100% money back guarantee to their customers and provide a superior program at half the cost of the two leading programs.  Used as directed, we know of nothing else that will keep hot tub water as super clear and continuously mitigate the build-up of contaminants that are usually lurking within the plumbing and jet system.

newtoit

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 08:51:23 am »
I've been using Hot Tub Serum for a year now, it keeps the water super clear and my free chlorine reading stays way up so I have been able reduce how much I use, which my wife likes. The one thing my dealer told me you have to do when starting with new water or a new spa is to make sure you set your PH at about 7.2-7.3 first. Serum will hold the PH in place. I put in Two capfuls per week a little more when the spa get heavy use and I'm happy. I'm on my second bottle now. I tried both Aqua Finesse and Silk Balance and found them not to be as good as Serum and way more expensive. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 06:08:19 pm »
Well couldn't add pic: the chemicals are Hot Tub Serum - Total Maint watercare & SpaGuard Oxidizer - Enhanced Shock for spas/hot tubs.

We got our hot tub delivered this week and the dealer provided these chemicals and said to add 2 capfulls of each and that's it.  Said to add 2 caps of each once a week.  So we added and tested the water the next morning using Taylor K2005 kit. Our chlorine levels didn't even register; water was clear.  The PH was off the scale in darkness.  So I added an additional cap of serum and waited another 6hrs.  Same result!

My father-in-law has a pool and he checked it with his test kit (different brand and looked much simplier) and some test strips he had.  At least now we had something registering on free chlorine but WAY high and Ph was between 8-8.5; He said we needed to add acid and once we got the Ph straight the chlorine would straighten out.  Note... both his kits and strips were showing relatively same numbers.

Trying to find faith in this system our dealer swears by but something doesn't make sense.  And where is the chlorine coming from? Just the shock?

I searched the forum and only found this reference of it with Ahh Some: http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,19278.msg195261.html#msg195261

Anyone used this stuff and suggestions one way or the other on what to do?

Thanks in advance
Chris

As stated before all the sales BS took over, get you PH down and be sure to sanitize what ever you choose to sanitize with.
Retired

Compatico

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 11:46:11 pm »
As stated before all the sales BS took over, get you PH down and be sure to sanitize what ever you choose to sanitize with.
I read about both products and not one scientific report or chemical ingredients were posted on either website. Their "proof" is so called scientific results that have no data and they show tub plumbing that looks like it was fouled on purpose suggesting that's what all hot tubs are like. They also suggest that "biofilm" is not sanitized with typical tub sanitizers like chlorine and bromine. Seems to me that these magic cleaners are nothing more than clarifiers that bond with organic material to allow them to be trapped by the filter making the water appear "crystal clear". My water always looked clear, even when I knew that after a good 1 hour soak with 2 people it had to be full of organic material that needed to be broken down with a typical shock. Most of the organics and bacteria are microscopic so we can't see them anyway. Doesn't mean your tub is perfectly clean.

And it's funny I checked my tub and piping carefully prior to selling it, and it was absolutely spotless as expected using normal chlorine sanitizers. I guess the marketing BS that Tman mentioned is just that...BS...intended to generate sales of an unneeded product. I'm sure using these products your tub will appear to look clean...doesn't mean it's sanitized or safe to use.
 :o
No thanks...I'll stick to proven methods that work - dichlor and bleach method for me. Clean, sanitized water in the hot tub is what I want...not something that makes it appear clean.
 8)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:48:16 pm by Compatico »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 06:13:38 am »
Hot Tub Serum is a wonderful alternative to other higher priced maintenance hot tub chemical programs that are nothing more than Borate and Metasilicate.  These higher priced alternative programs are high profit centers for their retailers. 

So let the consumer decide.

Hot Tub Serum is what? How much does it cost?
Retired

someguy

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 08:43:50 am »
Hot Tub Serum does NOT replace using a sanitizer.  What Hot Tub Serum does do is allow the hot tub owner to use LESS sanitizer to do the same job.  Sanitizers do NOT kill or aid in the removal of biofilm.  Even super high sanitizer levels are no match for it.  Sanitizers do kill or oxidize planktonic biofilm, those specks that have broken away from the thicker matrix build-up you can't see within the plumbing infrastructure.  Hot Tub Serum works by penetrating and breaking up the build-up so the flow from the pumps can push it into the hot tub proper where the sanitizer does it's intended job.  Every hot tub owner should read about biofilm and how it may affect their hot tub.  Using your browser simply type in biofilm and it will take you to,the Center for Biofilm Engineering at Montana State University.  These are the gold standard people in the biofilm arena. 

Chief Kyle

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 04:57:14 pm »

Nobody got nothing?
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 05:52:07 pm »

Nobody got nothing?

I'm smelling the BS all the way up here in MN...same key marketing terms as Silk Balance and Aquafinesse..."backed by science" "treats bio-film" "100% money back guarantee" just another super high margin "snake oil" product I'm sure just like Silk Balance...post up some ingredients and let Chem Geek take a peak, until then I'm not buying the story

someguy

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 06:23:18 pm »
Someone has been expousing the benefits of Ahh-Some and Hot Tub Serum in earlier posts.
They are familiar with our test results.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:21:23 pm by Bonibelle »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 09:48:22 pm »
Cost and ingredients please. Otherwise....snake oil. Someone said "less expensive than others" Someone said "it's not a sanitizer" All I want is cost and ingredients. Ahh-Some IS NOT a sanitizer and requires a couple drains and refills to do it right, it cleans out pipes, like Drano cleans out pipes, there are other products that do that to. This is??????? Besides likely 20-30 times the cost of dichlor and bleach.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 09:48:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42