What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone used these chemicals?  (Read 12845 times)

Compatico

Re: Anyone used these chemicals?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 12:48:00 am »
http://www.ahhsome.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/MSUBiofilmTestResults_1.pdf
Which just makes claims but no hard data to back up those claims. And no ingredients list either.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 12:48:00 am »

Compatico

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 12:51:44 am »
Chem Geek has been expousing the benefits of Ahh-Some and Hot Tub Serum in earlier posts.
Chem Geek is familiar with our test results.
Actually I've read many of ChemGeek's posts and he doesn't brag about these products. He prefers a clean tub with proper sanitizer levels.
A lot of people are familiar with the claimed results...still no scientific data to back up those claims.
Yet there's TONS of data to back up the proper use of sanitizers to maintain a clean tub.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 01:22:18 am »
Chem Geek has been expousing the benefits of Ahh-Some and Hot Tub Serum in earlier posts.

Oh reeeeeeeaaaly? Do a search for "Hot Tub Serum" and tell me where, any where, it's even in the same THREAD that Chem Geek has posted in.

Come back ad tell me where...or, if there is no where...........................
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

someguy

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 08:33:15 am »
 The cost for the Ahh-Some Hot Tub/Jetted Bath Plumbing & Jet Cleaner can be seen on numerous websites and found at many hot tub retailer's showrooms.  Our ingredients are a proprietary formulation that is based on over 18 years of tweaking.  As stated in scientific reports, Di-Chlor and Bleach, also my favorite hot tub sanitizers, are incapable of removing plumbing build-up even at very very high ppm's.  This is why it is necessary to use a product that can loosen it and allow it to migrate to the water inside the tub so the sanitizer can do it's job as a killer of "planktonic" cells.  Proprietary formulations are very common in the recreational water industry and many other industries as well.  Look at Coke.  We provide an up to date MSDS sheet on all our products.
The single best thing a hot tub owner can do is to "purge it" on a regular basis to eliminate what is, NOT may, be lurking inside the dark crevices of the plumbing and jet infrastructure.  When doing so their water will be much easier to maintain, feel and look better than ever.  Would love to have Chem Geek sound in here.  He is the water guru and has wonderful insights about water maintenance in hot tubs.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 11:36:57 am »
What people get confused about is sanitation and biofilm.  Chlorine is a commodity and a sanitizer.  Spa Serum, Silk Balance etc. are proprietary formulas that cut down on or eliminate biofilm.  Which should mean the sanitizer is more effective; you have to use less to maintain proper levels.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 12:26:06 pm »
The cost for the Ahh-Some Hot Tub/Jetted Bath Plumbing & Jet Cleaner can be seen on numerous websites and found at many hot tub retailer's showrooms.  Our ingredients are a proprietary formulation that is based on over 18 years of tweaking.  As stated in scientific reports, Di-Chlor and Bleach, also my favorite hot tub sanitizers, are incapable of removing plumbing build-up even at very very high ppm's.  This is why it is necessary to use a product that can loosen it and allow it to migrate to the water inside the tub so the sanitizer can do it's job as a killer of "planktonic" cells.  Proprietary formulations are very common in the recreational water industry and many other industries as well.  Look at Coke.  We provide an up to date MSDS sheet on all our products.
The single best thing a hot tub owner can do is to "purge it" on a regular basis to eliminate what is, NOT may, be lurking inside the dark crevices of the plumbing and jet infrastructure.  When doing so their water will be much easier to maintain, feel and look better than ever.  Would love to have Chem Geek sound in here.  He is the water guru and has wonderful insights about water maintenance in hot tubs.

No one said Ah-Some didn't work, there are others that work just as well or better, I like Swirl Away. We are asking why pay a butt load of money to add something weekly that IMO is nothing but a waste of money. I have seen tubs that were 20 years old that never used a purge product and never had a problem. Biofilm builds up because of poor maintenance and lousy sanitation. The OP asked some questions because hot tub serum isn't working for them. Maybe you need to go back and help them make it work for them. Apparently they ARE willing to spend the extra (likely un-needed) money.

In the mean time, we as professionals need to help people and NOT try and sell them stuff. We have 2 consumers in this thread alone saying it doesn't work for them and a few that sell it saying it does. Think about that.
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 01:26:11 pm »
Hot Tub Serum is made by the same company that makes Ahh-Some.  They make 2 products, one comes in a very small container and is a paste that will purge your plumbing of any build up or bio-film.  Works very well, just like Ahh-Some.  The second product comes in a container about a gallon is size.  This is the weekly maintenance product.  Works really well, prevents bio-film build up, and seems to eat up foam and oils.  The Hot Tub Serum products are expensive but they work well.

Thanks Markee. Expensive, but work well.
Retired

CBrown.tx

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 07:19:19 pm »
ok... just an update.  As posted originally I wasn't getting any readings to really speak of.  Either didn't register or was off scale.  I got a ducky and added some three hth dual action 1" tabs and set duck on 1 to get some chlorine going. We sat in it Wed and had lots of foam starting out.  We've been out of town for few days so today I did the following and the results:

Topped off water.  We're on well which is actually soft but I still use the "prefresh" filter from spa depot to filter water.
Added four caps of serum (lil less than 1 per 100gal) and two of the enhanced shock which shows the ingredients as: sodium dichloro-s triazinetrione 58% & other 41.8%.  Refilled duck (was completely empty) with 6 tabs.  Waited 20min and shut cover.  That was at noon.  It ran a filter cycle from 2-5.  Water was much clearer than before. At 5 we tested the water using K2005

FC/TC - Both off scale 10+
PH 8+
Acid demand- 6 drops (haven't looked at scale)
Base Demand - Who knows.  No change after 20 drops
Alkalinity - 350ppm after retesting using the High TA method
Hardness - 20ppm

Presuming both FC/TC and PH numbers will drop tomorrow? I sucked at science in school and it shows now  :o

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 07:11:45 am »
You need to get your PH and TA down where they belong. Skip the Serum for now. Acid.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 07:11:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42