What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Budget brands or scrap it?  (Read 6971 times)

GrayBeardCA

Budget brands or scrap it?
« on: March 17, 2016, 01:00:15 am »
We're just starting to research hot tubs (spa's?? we're so new to this we don't even know what to properly call it). Anyways, before we invest a lot of time researching them, is it realistic to expect to get something reliable & new for 5k?
Interests:
- Relaxation - just want to unwind after work/evenings.
- Reliable - I don't want to skimp and end up with a dud - so if this isn't a realistic price range, I'd rather scrap the idea or hold off until we're willing to spend more.
- Seat 4-ish - I'm not looking to host parties in this thing, just personal/family relaxation - family of 4.

Things I'm not really interested in:
- entertainment features
- waterfall features

I have a ton of hot tub dealers around me. A quick google search came up with the following brands (I'm sure there are more, I only looked up the first 10 or so on google - I couldn't tell who made some of them, these are the ones that I could tell: bullfrog, hot springs, sundance, la-z boy, nordic, dimension 1, marquis, jacuzzi, maxx, artesian, catlina, la, birch bay, clearwater.

Are any of these realistic? If so - what should I look for? What's the best way to find out what models are comparable so I can compare apples to apples?

Sorry if these questions are asked frequently. I tried looking through the website for a couple of hours tonight and so far I've learned a lot, it just seems most people on here seem to discuss a higher end product than I may be in the market for...

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Budget brands or scrap it?
« on: March 17, 2016, 01:00:15 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Budget brands or scrap it?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 04:14:13 pm »
We're just starting to research hot tubs (spa's?? we're so new to this we don't even know what to properly call it). Anyways, before we invest a lot of time researching them, is it realistic to expect to get something reliable & new for 5k?
Interests:
- Relaxation - just want to unwind after work/evenings.
- Reliable - I don't want to skimp and end up with a dud - so if this isn't a realistic price range, I'd rather scrap the idea or hold off until we're willing to spend more.
- Seat 4-ish - I'm not looking to host parties in this thing, just personal/family relaxation - family of 4.
Things I'm not really interested in:
- entertainment features
- waterfall features
I have a ton of hot tub dealers around me. A quick google search came up with the following brands (I'm sure there are more, I only looked up the first 10 or so on google - I couldn't tell who made some of them, these are the ones that I could tell: bullfrog, hot springs, sundance, la-z boy, nordic, dimension 1, marquis, jacuzzi, maxx, artesian, catlina, la, birch bay, clearwater.
Are any of these realistic? If so - what should I look for? What's the best way to find out what models are comparable so I can compare apples to apples?
Sorry if these questions are asked frequently. I tried looking through the website for a couple of hours tonight and so far I've learned a lot, it just seems most people on here seem to discuss a higher end product than I may be in the market for...
Thanks!
You can get a Nordic, Lazyboy, Maxx, Birch Bay, Cataline and Clearwater for that price but IMO Nordic, Clearwater and Catalina are the only ones I would buy the rest are junk.

Hot Springs, Dimension One and Marquis are top notch but you may have to get into their entry level models to get to that price range. Bullfrog, Jacuzzi, Artisian and LA will be more also. Not sure if they offer entry level models or not.

Get out there and kick some tires.
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 06:16:33 pm »
posted this in a thread just the other day but you can def. find a nice little "value spa" for around 5k...One of my personal favorites in that range is from Nordic: http://www.nordichottubs.com/indoor-outdoor/item/retreat.html

built in the USA, very simple and reliable and you will easily find parts after the warranty period is over if you don't mind working on things yourself

GrayBeardCA

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:12:07 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I just got back from a local store that I thought only sold Nordic, turns out they sell Nordic and Clarity Spas (by Master Spas). I admit I know next to nothing about hot tubs, but the models the salesperson showed me on the Master Spas 'looked' nicer. My wife liked the acrylic (?) look of the Master versus the plasticy look of the Nordic Retreat. She's warming up to the idea that we'll need to spend more to get something she likes.

He showed me the Precision 7 which seat 6-7. I'm probably totally botching this, but one of the selling points was that it could heat and run the jets at the same time, as the nordic he showed us would not heat while the jets were running so there would be some loss of heat. (?) He quoted us 6500 (not including taxes) for the Precision 7 + stairs/cover + lift + 1 month supplies. We told him that he was our first stop and we wanted to check out some other brands as well.

Is that a decent price for that model? I did a search and it appears not many on this forum have a favorable opinion of Master Spas because they sell in tent shows, this is in an actual store. We haven't wet tested it yet - I wanted to see what else was out there and narrow things down a bit before we decided what to wet test.

Tomorrow we're heading to probably a couple of stores but we'll look at one that has Clearwater, Catalina, Jacuzzi, Maxx,Artersian, LA, Birch bay.

Thanks for your advice.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 11:44:39 am »
The Master Spa was 220V, the Nordic 110V.  That is why the Master will run the jets and heater at the same time, not the Nordic.  Any 220V spa will do so.  Depending what your weather is like, usually not a big deal on a smaller tub.

220V electrical run can be 3 times as much to install as 110V.  Make sure you factor into your budget.

If you are expanding your budget to $6-$7K or more, make sure you check out the HotSpring offering.  Sundance and Jacuzzi also.

Some dealers offer great financing programs, which might make something that costs more affordable.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Sam

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 12:07:40 pm »
I wouldn't purchase from Master Spas because they aren't high quality and they condone dishonest sales tactics.  For $5k you can get a Garden Spa by Artesian which is a reputable manufacturer.  They are acrylic and not rotomold.  The jets aren't super powerful but in that price range that's what you get.

If you bump up to $6.5k you can get a lot more options.  Maybe look in the Bullfrog X series, the X6L.  It should be around that or a little less.

Isaac-1

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:55:16 am »
All the stuff that has been said seems like sound advice, however if the latest bells and whistles are not important to you, you might really want to consider a used or refurbished spa bought from a dealer.  Hot tubs depreciate worse than anything else in this price range that I can think of, so it is often possible to find a quality built top of the line model for over 50% off that is only 3-5 years old, and 75+% off new cost if you are willing to look at 5+ year old models.  Consider that a well built tub located in a location that is protected from exposure to the weather can last 15-20 years, and to compare this to car shopping would you buy a 2016 Chevy Spark vs a certifed used low mileage 2010 Mercedes E-Class if the price was the same?  How about if the Mercedes was cheaper?  You might ask why people would trade in a 2-3 year old tub, and the answer is lots of reasons, maybe they were moving across the country, or maybe they found they never used it, but the important thing is not why, but that qualty tubs like this are out there.

uvmskier

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 08:56:02 pm »
I bought a Nordic encore SE last fall.  The same dealer is building my inground pool next month.  He told me this week that they used to do tons of spa repair until they switched to Nordic.  I think you'll read here that Nordic is not the BMW or Mercedes of spas but is more like the Toyota.  Personally, I would not have been able to afford a spa if it had been more than $6k.  This Nordic model runs on 220 so it heats and pumps at high speed at the same time.  I know I'm opening a giant can of worms here but I don't think about whether I'm sitting on acrylic or plastic when I'm sitting in my spa in the dark with bubbles all over the surface.  I think this is way overblown on this board.  I'll also point out that I'm someone who appreciates the difference in tile vs linoleum or granite vs laminate in my house.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 09:17:03 pm »
I bought a Nordic encore SE last fall.  The same dealer is building my inground pool next month.  He told me this week that they used to do tons of spa repair until they switched to Nordic.  I think you'll read here that Nordic is not the BMW or Mercedes of spas but is more like the Toyota.  Personally, I would not have been able to afford a spa if it had been more than $6k.  This Nordic model runs on 220 so it heats and pumps at high speed at the same time.  I know I'm opening a giant can of worms here but I don't think about whether I'm sitting on acrylic or plastic when I'm sitting in my spa in the dark with bubbles all over the surface.  I think this is way overblown on this board.  I'll also point out that I'm someone who appreciates the difference in tile vs linoleum or granite vs laminate in my house.

I agree with part of that but as a nordic and a marquis dealer I can tell you it's night and day as far as therapy between the 2 brands. The SE version of that pushes water pretty good but there is a reason that tub is 5995 versus some of the Marquis that I sell for 10k plus. The therapy aspect is not the same. That being said my warranty calls on Nordics re very well as they are a very well built tub. Plus the factory support there is second to none.

uvmskier

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 09:48:53 pm »
I'll agree that the one area where I wish my spa did more is the water pressure.  However, I don't think you're doing to find anything better without spending $2-3k more.  I'll probably spend that much when I'm replacing this one someday.  However, there is the diverter and you can shut jets down for maximum therapy in one seat.

GrayBeardCA

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 10:17:05 pm »
Well, we're hoping to schedule a wet test on the D-1 Latitude. (I unexpectedly received a bonus that gives us a little more freedom in looking at different hot tubs). My wife really likes the idea of the bullfrog so we're going to check them out but the dealer closes at 4pm every day so we'll have to wait until Saturday. I guess it's one thing to like how they look, we'll see if the feel matches up.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 10:35:07 pm »
I'll agree that the one area where I wish my spa did more is the water pressure.  However, I don't think you're doing to find anything better without spending $2-3k more.  I'll probably spend that much when I'm replacing this one someday.  However, there is the diverter and you can shut jets down for maximum therapy in one seat.

Important thing is you got the tub in the budget you wanted to be in. I was just pointing out the differences of the Nordics versus marquis. For a so called value line you can't get better bang for your buck then with a nordic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 10:35:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42