What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic glacier opinions?  (Read 3307 times)

Blizzard180

Arctic glacier opinions?
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:25:27 pm »

Been looking at getting first hot tub.  I looked at Arctic and since I live in the north their insulation sounds good to me.  Dealer has what I think offered a good deal.  $8500 on signature glacier with their mylovar walk on cover, peak ozone 2 with circ pump, maintenance free cabinet, forever floor, true guard heater, therapy air and steps.

Is this a good deal?  Will I pay less to operate than other tubs like they claim?  Thanks.

My other option is a new but damaged sundance Altamar for a few hundred less.  Chipped and cracked shell that was repaired  on top and outside part of shell above the water line.  Full warranty except on damaged parts

I wet tested both and liked them both.  Different but both good.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Arctic glacier opinions?
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:25:27 pm »

Compatico

Re: Arctic glacier opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 12:00:03 am »
Been looking at getting first hot tub.  I looked at Arctic and since I live in the north their insulation sounds good to me.
Many tubs use the same concept but I don't think it really makes and difference. The heater is what keeps the water warm really, the insulation helps obviously, but whether it's full foam or insulated cabinet doesn't really matter.
  Dealer has what I think offered a good deal.  $8500 on signature glacier with their mylovar walk on cover, peak ozone 2 with circ pump, maintenance free cabinet, forever floor, true guard heater, therapy air and steps.
It's hard to say if it's a good deal or not as prices vary a lot across different areas. You have the good stuff in there like the cabinet and floor which means no maintenance.
Will I pay less to operate than other tubs like they claim?
Doubt it makes any difference. Same goes for the circulation pump...they claim it uses less power, but since it's running 24/7 it actually consumes about 50% more power than running a 4 hour cleaning cycle with the main pump. At the end of the day, you're not saving. And a hot tub doesn't use that much electricity compared to your fridge and furnace or A/C. A dollar a day isn't far off for consumption.
My other option is a new but damaged sundance Altamar for a few hundred less.  Chipped and cracked shell that was repaired  on top and outside part of shell above the water line.  Full warranty except on damaged parts
I'd insist on a warranty for the damaged area because it if starts leaking or chips and flakes a week later, I'd be pissed. Maybe ask for a 90 day just in case. If it's good for a few months it's probably good for life. Then it might be a great deal...but that's me.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 06:44:33 am »

Been looking at getting first hot tub.  I looked at Arctic and since I live in the north their insulation sounds good to me.  Dealer has what I think offered a good deal.  $8500 on signature glacier with their mylovar walk on cover, peak ozone 2 with circ pump, maintenance free cabinet, forever floor, true guard heater, therapy air and steps.

Is this a good deal?  Will I pay less to operate than other tubs like they claim?  Thanks.

Thanks.

If I sold Arctic I would claim they use less electricity than other brands also. Even though it's not true.

Think about this. If the warmth from the pump is used to help create R-factor and prevent heat loss. What happens the other 20 hours a day when the pump isn't running if you only need 4 hours of filtration? By putting a pump that runs 24/7 in, any savings in heat loss will be quickly eaten up by pump running that's not required.

Don't allow sales BS to convince you that it's better. Use things like comfort on your butt by wet testing. Comfort in the dealer to make your decision. Arctic makes a fine tub but not better than about 10 other brands.

The Sundance and Arctic will be the about the same to operate.
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:46:20 am »
Arctic is probably about the only company that makes an  insulated cabinet spa that's as nearly as efficient as full foam. The main key is preventing air infiltration, and I've NEVER seen another spa that can conquer that problem. Yup, it's the heater that keeps the water warm, but what SIZE hear is needed?? And the heater is the BIGGEST expense to operate.

No, you won't pay much more or less than another top quality spa. If it really was much less, every other company would either follow in Arctics tracks, or go out of business.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »
Doubt it makes any difference. Same goes for the circulation pump...they claim it uses less power, but since it's running 24/7 it actually consumes about 50% more power than running a 4 hour cleaning cycle with the main pump. At the end of the day, you're not saving. And a hot tub doesn't use that much electricity compared to your fridge and furnace or A/C. A dollar a day isn't far off for consumption.

Compactico this isn't a true statement. The circ pump in a hot springs tub uses substantially less in 24 hours than a standard jet pump in 4. And you have to add run time to maintain heat for the non circ pump tub.

Just wanted to make sure we are clear on this.
Retired

Water Boy

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:06:07 pm »
I sell Arctic Spas, and that is a really good price on the Glacier. That is quite a bit less of what we would sell that for with all those options. The Glacier is a very comfortable spa, but I'm sure you already know that since you wet tested. The Sundance is a good spa too. I'd be A little concerned on a shell repair if it isn't warrantied. I would make sure of that if you are spending that kind of money on a new spa.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:06:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42