What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How my research and debate went, Hotsprings vs Sundance vs Bullfrog  (Read 16469 times)

Hydrotherapy Guru

Hi folks

First of all thanks to all the members on this forum, this site was essential in my quest for the perfect hot tub for me.

Just want to tell y'alls a little about my journey and where I eventually landed. First off, I am building an in ground pool, when I spoke to the builders about possibly having an in ground spa added to the project 2 out of 3 guys who were bidding my pool strongly suggested considering a pre-built spa. Knowing I had a limited budget for the overall project they advised me that while they could certainly build it, on a bang for buck basis a pre-built manufactured spa simply could not be beat.

So that was easy, no built in gunnite spa, price to performance ratio just wasn't there. OK, so who do I look at? The guy who ended up winning the bid to build my pool suggested the local Sundance dealer, said he had known him for years and they were a standup company. So that was my first stop.

First impression of the sundance spas "Wow that's alot of bubbles and jets", the dealer seemed trustworthy, had been in business forever and by this point I had recieved 2 seperate individual reccomendations for the guy. But OH the prices surprised me, to go to the top of the line I was shocked to learn how much it cost.

So I *seriously* started considering all the spa's that Costsco offers, Strong, Divine, Aquaterra, etc. I read every forum post in here, every review on Costco's site, researched manufacturing processes, learned "who's who" and realized that there was one thing I kept reading about these "could be good, could be bad, but one thing is for sure, you can't wet test them and service might be a real PITA"

Ok, so I decided Costco spa's are out, even though the price was *very* attractive. I wanted to love my purchase right off the bat.

So I was still feeling pretty good about the sundance guy, but I hadn't done a wet test yet. Next stop, Hotsprings. I really liked the dealer here, personable, had been in business forever, great reviews on the internet. Was impressed with the design and look of the Hotsprings spas. Definite contender.

Finally, I kept reading about Bullfrog, there was a local Bullfrog/Marquis dealer in my area so I decided to stop in, and I'm glad I did. Mind = Blown when I saw the jetpack system on the Bullfrogs. The Marquis seemed "Just Ok" to me and beyond having intreresting curves and a novel sanitation system I didn't feel compelled by them. So, Bullfrog, a contender!

On to more research here and elsewhere trying to narrow down. Ultimately I realized what most of you already know by now, these were all reputable manufacturers, and so long as the dealers were also reputable, I'd be happiest with the one that *felt best*.  Inside though, I was most impressed with the Bullfrog manufacturing process and technology with Hotsprings being a narrow second.

On to the wet tests!

First stop. a jetsetter nxt at hotsprings (it's what they had ready) I really liked it! But it's pretty small and didn't give me a full range of what I would be getting. Also, it was my first test so I might have been biased, ahhh hot water and jets.. yeah, that's the ticket. The model I was really interested in was the Envoy, so I asked them to fill it and I would come back the next week.

On to Sundance to test the 880 Optima. Compared to the Hotsprings, I was shocked at how overwhelmed I was by all the jets and bubbles and diverter knobs and adjusters. The whole thing felt like "too much" and the jets didn't feel very well targeted, just "powerful and lots". I immediately removed Sundance from my list of contenders after this wet test.

Next stop, Bullfrog. I have to say, the jetpacks just won me over. I was able to get *exactly* the massage I was looking for with their variety of packs, specifically I have neck and upper back issues, so the neck masseuse jetpack was just a dream come true. None of the other spas could come close to as targeted an approach. I really loved how you could "dial it in" just the way you want. I also really liked that there were no diverter valves to be messing with and adjusting the pressure on each jet was pretty simple. 

Back to hotsprings for a last look at the Envoy. It was "good" but not as good as the bullfrog. If I hadn't wet tested the bullfrog I probably would have gone for it. One thing I didn't like was in order to get both my back and my feet blasted in the lounger the diverter had to be set to "halfway" reducing the overall strength of the jets.

On to negotiations! I played the dealer as best I could, sales tax is exceptionally high where they are (9.25%!) so that ate in to their ability to negotiate. I ended up with a A7L model loaded up with ozone, continuous circulation pump, jetpacks of my choosing, cover, CV400 cover lifter, delivery, "startup chemicals" (90 day supply) for a cool 12k out the door. Could I have gotten a better deal? Maybe, I think I paid a fair price overall.

Now I'm just waiting for a break in the rain so I can get the concrete pad poured and get that bad boy over here!

Cheers folks

Hot Tub Forum

Compatico

Re: How my research and debate went, Hotsprings vs Sundance vs Bullfrog
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 11:35:32 pm »
On to the wet tests!
That's the most important part I think. Looks of the tub is one thing, but how it FEELS is far more important.
On to negotiations! I played the dealer as best I could, sales tax is exceptionally high where they are (9.25%!) so that ate in to their ability to negotiate. I ended up with a A7L model loaded up with ozone, continuous circulation pump, jetpacks of my choosing, cover, CV400 cover lifter, delivery, "startup chemicals" (90 day supply) for a cool 12k out the door. Could I have gotten a better deal? Maybe, I think I paid a fair price overall.

Now I'm just waiting for a break in the rain so I can get the concrete pad poured and get that bad boy over here!
Cheers folks
Congrats on your purchase...sounds like you did a good job checking things out and finding the right tub for you needs. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much.

Remember to come back and post some photos of the new install. ;D

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:03:11 pm »
Congrats! Welcome to the family, I love the A7 we always have one wet and ready to test :-) you're going to love it for many years to come...

Sam

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 04:37:02 pm »
Thank you for sharing your experience and congrats on your purchase.  I imagine that many people's story mirrors yours.  It sounds like you did your due diligence and made a good choice. 

Please stick around and help other people going through the same process.  I think customers appreciate an actual owners opinion over us "spa guys".

Racenut

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 04:44:16 pm »
Congratulations!  Now the hard part.... waiting....

I love my Bullfrog :)

meriflower

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 10:54:56 pm »
Congratulations and welcome!  We have a Bullfrog and we love ours.   :D.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 08:38:44 am »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the time to write up that interesting post.  I went along a similar path, but we don't have a Bullfrog dealer near me (last I checked) So I've only ever seen one once and that wasn't at a time I was buying. I hope you stick around and let us know how it goes over the next couple of years.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hydrotherapy Guru

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 03:13:44 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome all.

I'll definitely post pics of my install and keep you posted on how things go over the years.

Can't even tell you how excited I am about this purchase.  :)

Chief Kyle

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 07:00:14 pm »
Congratulations I'm happy to read you stayed away from a box store brand a went with a higher end tub you will be so much happier in the long run. 

CCC

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 01:04:41 am »
Good for you! I'm sure you'll dig it. +1 for what Kyle said about staying away from the Costco tubs.

orlando1

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 11:19:35 pm »
Congrats. Early in my journey, I was just like you. I strongly considered costco because of the size, features and most importantly price. But after doing extensive research and understanding the importance of wet testing, costco was quickly removed from my list. I'm fortunate enough as well to have several of the major brands in my area. If I had bought based on looks without doing any wet testing, I would not have ended up with the tub I bought.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 11:19:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42