What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Metal Gon and Swirl Away the same thing/effect?  (Read 3142 times)

Stl_Looking

Metal Gon and Swirl Away the same thing/effect?
« on: July 21, 2004, 01:57:58 am »
Hi all,

Well, the electrician was out today and I think we'll be done and filling the tub Thursday night.

So, with that, I've read from a few folks here about using Swirl Away.  However, the chemicals I got with the tub were the Leisure series and they have something called Spa Metal Gon.

Are these two basically the same thing with the same effect?  I figure I'll go forward with the Leisure chemicals since that's what the dealer provided, so if Metal Gon will do the job, then I won't worry about Swirl Away!

Can't wait to just get to the daily maintenance  :)

At this point, the cover has been treated with two coats and the spa has been polished using Leisure's Fast Gloss.  Let me know if I need to do something else and just missed it.

Thanks in advance for answering!

Hot Tub Forum

Metal Gon and Swirl Away the same thing/effect?
« on: July 21, 2004, 01:57:58 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Metal Gon and Swirl Away the same thing/effect
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 02:07:39 am »
metal gon removes dissolved metals from the water. Swirl away removes deposits from inside the plumbing. 2 completely different things.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 09:26:35 am »
We followed the advice on the forums about using Swirl Away on our first fill, then draining and refilling the spa.  I'm very glad we did.  There was an amazing amount of ick that was cleaned out with the Swirl Away, this being a new tub just manufactured May 04.  I would not have been excited to sit in that water even if my chems and filter cleaned it somewhat.  

It didnt take long for the SwirlAway step, took about 50min to fill our Optima and another 90 min to drain, both tasks using 2 hoses.  My dealer laughed at me when I mentioned doing this fill-SwirlAway-drain-refill thing.  He said it was completely unnecessary.  But I didnt expect him to admit to me that they use nasty, ickified factory water to test my tub. I disagree with him completely after seeing that gray, icky foam and the oily gunk floating in that initial fill.  

I got the Swirl Away thru Dr. Spa's site, its not on shelves here in my town and from what we've researched, his site has very good prices and great service.  We've had 5 orders with Dr Spa so far and I've only owned my spa for 1 wk!! You can never have too many ducks and floating toys!!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 09:30:52 am by CalicoskiesNC »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 11:06:29 am »
I'm very glad we did.  There was an amazing amount of ick that was cleaned out with the Swirl Away, this being a new tub just manufactured May 04.  I would not have been excited to sit in that water even if my chems and filter cleaned it somewhat.  

It didnt take long for the SwirlAway step, took about 50min to fill our Optima and another 90 min to drain, both tasks using 2 hoses.  My dealer laughed at me when I mentioned doing this fill-SwirlAway-drain-refill thing.  He said it was completely unnecessary.  But I didnt expect him to admit to me that they use nasty, ickified factory water to test my tub. I disagree with him completely after seeing that gray, icky foam and the oily gunk floating in that initial fill.  

What you don't know didn't hurt you?  I've not heard any dealer recommend doing this.  I never did and am no worse for the wear.   I have my bottle on order, but I'm suprised to hear that a new tub could be that bad. Maybe the swirl away itself foams up and turns gray when aggitated?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 11:06:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42