What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sales tax conundrum  (Read 9839 times)

d00nut

Re: Sales tax conundrum
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 05:22:24 pm »
I agree with Bullfrog dude.  I get it, it's a big investment.  Ultimately though, I would say if that couple hundred, even a thousand dollars hurts you so much, then don't buy the hot tub. 

I know of dealers who have got in trouble with that since I used to live in NH (no sales tax there.)  I don't believe they turned over names of customers, because technically it's the dealers responsibility, but the name of the game in the USA is regulation... therefore, don't be surprised if something ever happens.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 05:22:24 pm »

CCC

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 07:36:19 pm »
My personal opinion is that if you are in posistion to purchase a $10,000 luxury item I find it petty to try and circumvent a few hundred bucks in taxes to your own state, but that's simply my .02

I agree with Bullfrog dude.  I get it, it's a big investment.  Ultimately though, I would say if that couple hundred, even a thousand dollars hurts you so much, then don't buy the hot tub. 

You know what, I agree with you guys. I had a momentary pang of being that petty when I was offered the Amore Bay for $13.5K because he was willing to jump through the hoops and save me the tax. The only way I could justify it was if I didn't pay the tax, and in the end that means that I just won't buy it, as sweet of a deal as it is, because it is a luxury purchase and the dollars were starting to get uncomfortable.

So if you know anyone close to PDX who want a ripping deal on an Amore Bay, there it is.

Thanks for the interesting discussion.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:56 pm »
My personal opinion is that if you are in posistion to purchase a $10,000 luxury item I find it petty to try and circumvent a few hundred bucks in taxes to your own state, but that's simply my .02

You know what, I agree with you guys. I had a momentary pang of being that petty when I was offered the Amore Bay for $13.5K because he was willing to jump through the hoops and save me the tax. The only way I could justify it was if I didn't pay the tax, and in the end that means that I just won't buy it, as sweet of a deal as it is, because it is a luxury purchase and the dollars were starting to get uncomfortable.

So if you know anyone close to PDX who want a ripping deal on an Amore Bay, there it is.

Thanks for the interesting discussion.

At the end of the day in order to protect yourself I believe it's the "smartest" option....as quick as he was to "jump through hoops" to help you save the tax I can guarantee without a doubt he'll be just as fast to call you and say "ummm Mr. Jones, I'm going to need that $734.69 in tax from you cause the IRS has me bent over a barrel here"

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 08:53:50 pm »
ummm, this is NOT an IRS issue at all (IRS is federal, and so far, the feds don't charge sales tax). This is solely state, and the federal government (IRS) couldn't care less about it (unless you tried to deduct sales tax you DIDN'T actually pay, on your federal return).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 11:04:37 am »
ummm, this is NOT an IRS issue at all (IRS is federal, and so far, the feds don't charge sales tax). This is solely state, and the federal government (IRS) couldn't care less about it (unless you tried to deduct sales tax you DIDN'T actually pay, on your federal return).

correct...state level, either way not good when they come knocking
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:07:49 am by BullFrogSpasMN »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 11:04:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42