What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera 2016 changes?  (Read 3542 times)

CCC

Caldera 2016 changes?
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:57:09 pm »
Ankle is slowly healing and I got my walking boot today! So final shopping begins in earnest!

I didn't realize that Caldera was an option for me. I talked to the dealer today and they seemed very nice. However, there are new models coming out and even though they are blowing out the 2015's (around 10 -10.5K on Genevas and Niagaras) I would hate to think the new ones would be so much nicer, but as you know they are tight lipped about such things. For example, If I'd have bought at 2013 Hot Spring I would have been really bummed when I saw the redesigned 2014's.

Just wondering if anyone out there was in the know. Would it be worth waiting or better to get a good deal on an old one? Sounds like a major redesign for this year. Going to wet test later this week.

Also found out there is a new D1 dealer PDX, too, but those things look crazy expensive. I'll go take a look at them, anyway.

Would still love to wet test the Grandee but was told there was simply no way for them to do that. Hmm. Told them I was still considering Marquis and was told that if they ever sprung a leak because of seals or gaskets it wouldn't be covered. Hmm.

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera 2016 changes?
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:57:09 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Caldera 2016 changes?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 08:51:07 pm »
Ankle is slowly healing and I got my walking boot today! So final shopping begins in earnest!

I didn't realize that Caldera was an option for me. I talked to the dealer today and they seemed very nice. However, there are new models coming out and even though they are blowing out the 2015's (around 10 -10.5K on Genevas and Niagaras) I would hate to think the new ones would be so much nicer, but as you know they are tight lipped about such things. For example, If I'd have bought at 2013 Hot Spring I would have been really bummed when I saw the redesigned 2014's.

Just wondering if anyone out there was in the know. Would it be worth waiting or better to get a good deal on an old one? Sounds like a major redesign for this year. Going to wet test later this week.

Also found out there is a new D1 dealer PDX, too, but those things look crazy expensive. I'll go take a look at them, anyway.

Would still love to wet test the Grandee but was told there was simply no way for them to do that. Hmm. Told them I was still considering Marquis and was told that if they ever sprung a leak because of seals or gaskets it wouldn't be covered. Hmm.

Seals fail because of improper water chemistry which is why Marquis puts that in the warranty. I'm actually surprised more manufacturers don't put that in the warranty.

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:29:57 am »
The only seals that will ever go bad in the spa are heater gaskets and pump seals, like Hottubguy said it takes a lot to damage these and it's almost always caused by neglect or chemical damage if it were to happen. Heater gaskets cost about $1.50 and pump seals are in the $40-50 range, so not a huge expense.

Marquis has identical warranty on equipment, plumbing, shell surface, and longer warranty on shell structure, longer warranty on ozone, and a few other things.

CCC

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 02:16:52 am »
I was jolted by the fact that HotSpring guy was so quick to pounce upon that factoid. I know Marquis is not a second rate company so it is bizarre to me what lengths the competition will go to to slam them. I only wish they built a deeper tub!

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 10:32:18 am »
I'm not a Caldera dealer, but I have heard that Caldera's Utopia line is getting a makeover.  Just so you know, Watkins typically does roll-outs, meaning that the changes will slowly be released throughout the year, but I cannot confirm or deny that is what they are doing this year.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 08:10:24 pm »
I was jolted by the fact that HotSpring guy was so quick to pounce upon that factoid. I know Marquis is not a second rate company so it is bizarre to me what lengths the competition will go to to slam them. I only wish they built a deeper tub!

Before you slam him personally, he, like many salesmen was probably just repeating what he was taught to say....and, there aint a whole hell of a lot one can "slam" Marquis on...other brands too. The slammers sometimes have to reach pretty deep to come up with something....and remember, they're just trying to feed their kids.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:14:13 pm »
Almost forgot ;-)

" Hottubguy said it takes a lot to damage these and it's almost always caused by neglect or chemical damage"

That being said, MOST manufacturers wouldn't cover seals and gaskets ANYWAYS, as their warranties exclude damage caused by "neglect". Marquis is simple honest and upfront by telling you they wont cover it, rather than waiting for it to happen, and then denying your claim based on neglect.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

CCC

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:26:27 pm »
Thank you d00nut! I figure they aren't going to spill the beans until they are ready to put them on a truck.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 05:48:13 pm »

I have to say that is one of the weakest sales statements I've ever heard when attempting to sell someone a 13k hot tub...If I ever heard a sales guy say something so stupid on my sales floor I guarantee it would be his last time saying it. just ridiculous...sorry to rant but its the way I make my living and I actually have pride in it so when I come across an obvious "hack" I have to say something

CCC

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 06:49:30 pm »
I have to say that is one of the weakest sales statements I've ever heard when attempting to sell someone a 13k hot tub...If I ever heard a sales guy say something so stupid on my sales floor I guarantee it would be his last time saying it. just ridiculous...sorry to rant but its the way I make my living and I actually have pride in it so when I come across an obvious "hack" I have to say something

This was over the phone. When he said that I was embarrassed for him. It was a very awkward moment. Now if I recall the conversation correctly, This was right after he told me why it was just impossible for me to wet test their most expensive tub. I told him that the Marquis store would fill any one I asked them to. His response was "Well, you know if you buy one of those and the seals or gaskets leak, it's not covered. Go online and look it up! I wouldn't spend my money on something like that!" Then he said there was a customer that lived close by the store with a Grandee and he might be willing to let me try it! I can't make this stuff up!  All I was doing was calling around looking for a full Grandee. That's some pretty aggressive phone hustle, huh?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 06:49:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42