What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tarp Cover for Spa  (Read 13739 times)

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
Tarp Cover for Spa
« on: July 18, 2004, 01:16:41 pm »
Does anyone use a tarp like cover over the entire spa?  It covers both the spa and normal spa cover.  I thought this would make the spa cover and spa shell last longer and look better.  Protect it from UV?

Any ideas?

Hot Tub Forum

Tarp Cover for Spa
« on: July 18, 2004, 01:16:41 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Tarp Cover for Spa
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 01:28:30 pm »
That's not uncommon. If you don't mind the look it'll work fine for u. I don't like the look which is why I don't do it. My spa cover is 5 ys old and in good shape for its age. While it certainly doesn't look new it still looks a lot better than a tarp IMO.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 01:53:05 pm »
When the sticky things are falling from the trees I have a fitted bed sheet that fits my cover perfectly for added protection from the stains those nasty things make.
Retired

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 04:49:15 pm »
I have one customer who is no neat and tidy they scare me. They had an awning company make a cover that slips over the whole spa and top. It goes all the way to the bottom of the tub, has a cool little flap door over the control panel, and a velcro-fastened slit that makes it relatively easy to get on and off.

I think they may have spent as much on that as a replacement cover, or close. But the whole tub - siding and all - stays spotless.

Whatever you do - never put a sheet of plastic over an insulating cover. Ruins the thing.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 04:59:37 pm »
Thanks!

A blue plastic tarp from Home Depot, Lowes, etc ruins the cover?  How so?

Thanks

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 05:00:26 pm »
Chas,

Does that customer's awning provide ventilation?  How so?

Thanks!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 06:51:36 pm »
Thanks!

A blue plastic tarp from Home Depot, Lowes, etc ruins the cover?  How so?

Thanks

Tends to make like a greenhouse: the foam can overheat and melt. When that happens, you begin to feel a rough surface, like popcorn as you rub the cover. It can get hot enough to do harm to the vinyl, but not as likely.

Look at a new cover: as you pull it out of the box, it may be wrapped in plastic. If it is, it will very likely have stickers warning you not to leave it out in the sun like that.

Ask Doc about this..... they don't wrap their covers in plastic any more, they just slide 'em into the box.

As to the question about ventilation and the awning cover: HotSpring tubs vent at the bottom. He hasn't had any issues with the spa - I would have heard, they are both very particular!! It is a light canvas, I don't know how it looks now - it's been there for several years.

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 08:10:15 pm »
Chas,

Thanks!  Concerning the canvas cover - What about venting the gas, moisture, ozone, etc etc that escapes in between the cover and shell?  Do you have to worry about venting that?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 11:47:34 pm »
Actually, we're back to wrapping the cover in plastic before putting it into a box for shipping. It keeps the cover from getting scuffed up.

I have heard of 2 people over the years that had the foam cores of their covers melt. In both cases the people had their houses painted, and the spa was covered with a clear plastic tarp.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

E-Man

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 10:16:26 am »
New guy here.  I'm looking at buying a 7 yr old Hot Springs Soverign spa, with an ozonator.  The cover is very heavy and is apparently waterlogged.  Is that normal, or should I suspect a chemical imbalance that allowed it to absorb water from within?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 10:40:37 am »
Chas,

Thanks!  Concerning the canvas cover - What about venting the gas, moisture, ozone, etc etc that escapes in between the cover and shell?  Do you have to worry about venting that?

I don't think it would be a problem - we recommend that you leave the cover open with jets on after adding chlorine, so a large part of the gas has a chance to escape. This is a normal step that we suggest for everyone - the rest would just work its way out.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 10:40:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42