What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: A few newby questions - first time buyers  (Read 5474 times)

WhO2

A few newby questions - first time buyers
« on: January 19, 2016, 04:58:36 pm »
Hi everyone,

after looking at hot tubs at the State Fair of Texas for as many years as I can remember. my wife and I have finally decided to take the plunge. I looked at hot tubs online over the weekend until my eyes crossed and finally decided I needed professional help (you forum pros).

We want a tub mainly for relaxation but anything that makes aching back and other parts feel better is a bonus. Some other basic info:

- We are both relatively tall (her 5' 8", me 6' 2") so want a deeper tube
- We are more interested in a 5-6 person tub
- Other than that we are open to suggestions

Number of jets seems to vary from 25 to infinity. I thought I wanted more but after reading some posts here, it doesn't seem like more is always better. Thoughts?

There is also a variety in number of pumps with 2 big (for jets) and one small (water recirculation?) being pretty common. Any advice on pumps (number, brands to avoid)?

Salt? Bromine? Ozonator? Liquid bleach? HELP!

Other than Home Depot, pricing is hard to find. Is this something dealers mark way up? The one we looked at last year at the fair was a Hot Springs Pulse. Their "regular" price was $13,999 with a Only-during-the-fair price of $9,895. The only tubs I found for more than $9K were swim tub, so this seems high.   

Thanks in advance for your help. Any other things I have overlooked, feel free to educate us. I hate feeling uninformed.

Hot Tub Forum

A few newby questions - first time buyers
« on: January 19, 2016, 04:58:36 pm »

WhO2

Re: A few newby questions - first time buyers
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:09 pm »
Kept cruising the forums and learned one thing - go with 220 over 110 electricity.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 07:52:32 pm »

Number of jets seems to vary from 25 to infinity. I thought I wanted more but after reading some posts here, it doesn't seem like more is always better. Thoughts? Its not about the number of jets but more the type of jets and the feel. A wet test will tell you which spa/jets work well for you.

There is also a variety in number of pumps with 2 big (for jets) and one small (water recirculation?) being pretty common. Any advice on pumps (number, brands to avoid)?Larger spas will generally have 2 jet pumps to assure you're getting the proper jet action. Circ pumps are good for reducing noise, allowing for ozone 24/7 (if the spa has hat) and many feel they are more energy efficient but circ vs non-circ shouldn't be at the top of your list.

Salt? Bromine? Ozonator? Liquid bleach? HELP! Your dealer can help you with that when you figure out what spa is best for you, personally I wouldn't worry about it now

Other than Home Depot, pricing is hard to find. Is this something dealers mark way up? The one we looked at last year at the fair was a Hot Springs Pulse. Their "regular" price was $13,999 with a Only-during-the-fair price of $9,895. The only tubs I found for more than $9K were swim tub, so this seems high.   There are a LOT of spas out there for $9k, 10k, 11k... not just swim spas so not sure about that comment but you can get a good new spa at $7k, 8k... it all depends on size, desired features...

Thanks in advance for your help. Any other things I have overlooked, feel free to educate us. I hate feeling uninformed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 07:47:29 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:32:26 pm »

Number of jets seems to vary from 25 to infinity. I thought I wanted more but after reading some posts here, it doesn't seem like more is always better. Thoughts? Its not about the number of jets but more the type of jets and the feel. A wet test will tell you which spa/jets work well for you.

There is also a variety in number of pumps with 2 big (for jets) and one small (water recirculation?) being pretty common. Any advice on pumps (number, brands to avoid)?Larger spas will generally have 2 jet pumps to assure you're getting the proper jet action. Circ pumps are good for reducing noise, allowing for ozone 24/7 (if the spa has hat) and many feel they are more energy efficient but crc vs non-circ should be at the top of your list.

Salt? Bromine? Ozonator? Liquid bleach? HELP! Your dealer can help you with that when you figure out what spa is best for you, personally I wouldn't worry about it now

Other than Home Depot, pricing is hard to find. Is this something dealers mark way up? The one we looked at last year at the fair was a Hot Springs Pulse. Their "regular" price was $13,999 with a Only-during-the-fair price of $9,895. The only tubs I found for more than $9K were swim tub, so this seems high.   There are a LOT of spas out there for $9k, 10k, 11k... not just swim spas so not sure about that comment but you can get a good new spa at $7k, 8k... it all depends on size, desired features...

ST meant "it shouldn't be at the top of your list" in the second one.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 07:48:21 pm »

There is also a variety in number of pumps with 2 big (for jets) and one small (water recirculation?) being pretty common. Any advice on pumps (number, brands to avoid)?Larger spas will generally have 2 jet pumps to assure you're getting the proper jet action. Circ pumps are good for reducing noise, allowing for ozone 24/7 (if the spa has hat) and many feel they are more energy efficient but circ vs non-circ shouldn't be at the top of your list.

ST meant "it shouldn't be at the top of your list" in the second one.

Ooops, thanks and corrected!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

WhO2

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 07:22:46 pm »
Thanks for the help, Spatech. On this part of the question

I was mainly asking if there are wild fluctuations and dealer mark ups on spas. Pricing is hard to find online so I only have 2 sets of prices I have been able to research:

- Home depot online where 95% of the tubs they show are less than $8k. The ones over $8k are mostly swim spas
- The Hot Springs Pulse we looked at during the state fair and mentioned in the question. I found one forum on this spa and no one paid even the "special state fair price" of $9,895 much less the regular price of $13,999

Thanks again for your help

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 11:32:21 pm »
Home depot, and most other big box stores sell spas that meet their desired price point. Typically this means something that the CONSUMER will perceive as being a good value. They tend to be of a lower quality and more cheaply built than what you;ll fine at a dealer. Also, there is virtually NO support from the big box stores.

Yes, dealers mark up their spas. The have to pay rent, utilities, wages, insurance, etc. etc. etc. And then, they get to make a profit for themselves so that they can house and feed their families, probably pay off debt from past slow years, maybe send their kids to collage, drive something other than a horse and carriage, and plan for retirement some day far in the future. JUST LIKE YOU.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 11:32:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42