What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time in market - SO confused  (Read 4570 times)

bigshotbantam

First time in market - SO confused
« on: January 05, 2016, 01:14:29 pm »
Husband and I had a used 2 seat hot tub that we learned to really like.  Used it for 2 years, but I won't lie - we knew (and know) NOTHING about what it needed.  It died earlier this year and husband wants to fix it, but hasn't had time to dig in and see what's going on.  I don't even know what brand it is, so have no idea how to go about getting it fixed or even ordering parts.

In the mean time, his job is very demanding and he comes home very sore, and I'd love to get a new one so he can be more comfortable again.  But going to a hot tub store is so intimidating!  Nothing is priced, I'm afraid my budget isn't realistic (I don't even know what it should be) I don't know enough about hot tubs to ask intelligent questions, and capping it all off, we're in such a rural part of the country (Southwest corner of Missouri near Oklahoma border) that there aren't many stores around, so shopping around is difficult too.  All I really know is that husband liked the tub well enough that it would seem worth investing in another (or fixing this one). 

So what should I know going in?  Our budget was under 2 - 2.5K, which I'm reading is not realistic.  I have strong credit, and could reasonably finance a bit more, but that's where the confusion comes in.  I have NO idea how to shop for this thing, and even less idea in an environment where I have little to choose from.  (We have 1 "pool and spa" store within 40 miles of us--which is disconcerting for choices, and also for service concerns down the road.) 

That's a lot of stuff to say:
1) What MUST I budget to get a basic hot tub for 2 people (we're pretty anti-social, 2 seats will truly be enough.)
2) How do I shop when there's little choice close by?
3) What information do you recommend a clueless buyer have before shopping?
4) Am I better off to buy used or cheap now with the idea of buying better in a few years when I can afford more?

Compounding my confusion, I found a used Hot Springs (which I'm hearing is a good brand?) with a case, tub, and cover in nice shape for a good price, but it's stored now, so I can't see it run.  (The seller SAYS heater and pump are great but . . .) So if they're not, can I fix a mainstream brand for under 1K?

I would be very grateful for any and all input.  My poor sore husband deserves whatever comfort I can give him, but I'm just in way over my head here.

Hot Tub Forum

First time in market - SO confused
« on: January 05, 2016, 01:14:29 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: First time in market - SO confused
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 03:06:24 pm »
Our budget was under 2 - 2.5K, which I'm reading is not realistic.

You probably need to double this

We have 1 "pool and spa" store within 40 miles of us--which is disconcerting for choices

And the choices there are?????????????

How do I shop when there's little choice close by?

Depends, WHAT'S close by?

Compounding my confusion, I found a used Hot Springs (which I'm hearing is a good brand?) with a case, tub, and cover in nice shape for a good price, but it's stored now, so I can't see it run.  (The seller SAYS heater and pump are great but . . .) So if they're not, can I fix a mainstream brand for under 1K?

Depends what's broken. Basic rule of thumb with a used spa is, whatever the seller says, you can translate to, "blah, blah, blah", and NEVER buy something you can't see full of water, hot and running.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 03:21:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum.   I recognize your confusion.  There are a lot of people here with different expertise.   Lets start with, what part of the world do you call home?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bigshotbantam

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:21:29 pm »
Rural farm in Southwest corner of Missouri near Oklahoma border.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 06:42:56 pm »
That's a lot of stuff to say:
1) What MUST I budget to get a basic hot tub for 2 people (we're pretty anti-social, 2 seats will truly be enough.)
2) How do I shop when there's little choice close by?
3) What information do you recommend a clueless buyer have before shopping?
4) Am I better off to buy used or cheap now with the idea of buying better in a few years when I can afford more?

1). Depends what you are looking for but I would say at minimum 4K for a decent value tub like nordic hot tubs or Viking spas. More for a better brand like hot springs, Marquis, jacuzzi or bullfrog. Probably 5500 or so minimum
2) get on the computer and go to various manufacturers websites and see if there are dealers you are missing

3)wet test if you can.  Sometimes something that looks great on paper isn't comfortable or doesn't fit you well. Buy from a reputable dealer who also services what they sell

4) maybe but I would want to see it up and running and heating before buying one.  Used tubs are tough because you might be buying someone else's problem

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:17:00 pm »
Get us the brand, model and age of your current tub. And what's it doing? Or not doing? Start with that.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 08:22:40 am »
On this one point - 1) What MUST I budget to get a basic hot tub for 2 people (we're pretty anti-social, 2 seats will truly be enough.)

I personally would look at a 3-4 person tub.   While I have never owned a 2 person, 99% of the time its just my wife and I in our tub. As close as we are sometimes you can be two close in 104 water.  I do like to move around and change seats periodically. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

silverbullet

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 08:12:18 pm »
On this one point - 1) What MUST I budget to get a basic hot tub for 2 people (we're pretty anti-social, 2 seats will truly be enough.)

I personally would look at a 3-4 person tub.   While I have never owned a 2 person, 99% of the time its just my wife and I in our tub. As close as we are sometimes you can be two close in 104 water.  I do like to move around and change seats periodically.

Mostly its just my Wife & I. We like having the luxury of moving around to different spots. Not being cramped. With that kind of money I would be looking for a good used tub from a reputible dealer that will stand behind it. Double it & you may find a left over 2014 or 2015 model. My bride & I bought a year end closeout Hot Spot Relay.

bigshotbantam

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 09:58:59 pm »
Thank you everyone for all of your help!  I'll try to dig into the old one this weekend and find out brand, year, etc.  We bought it used and I have no idea what the history was. The forums here have been really helpful and I appreciate you all giving thoughts and expertise.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 09:58:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42