What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: White deposits?  (Read 4932 times)

dporter22

White deposits?
« on: December 26, 2015, 02:00:58 pm »
After any water from inside the tub drips on the outside it leaves white spots everywhere after evaporating.  Obviously it's solids from the tub water, but does anyone know which solid it is?

At first I thought it was calcium, but my calcium levels test normal and when I sprayed water from the hose I use to fill the tub onto the panels it didn't leave the white residue.

Then I thought it was the aromatic salts I add every once in a while, but I stopped using them completely and the residue remains.

So is it chlorine, non-chlorine shock, the borax I use to raise pH, or all of them combined?  If so, I assume there's nothing that can be done, correct?  I use 303 to clean the panels regularly, but it doesn't do anything to prevent or reduce future spots.

Hot Tub Forum

White deposits?
« on: December 26, 2015, 02:00:58 pm »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: White deposits?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 02:48:30 pm »
normal on all spas even if your water chemistry is spot on, I run a showroom and I wipe these spots daily especially after someone has wet tested

dporter22

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 03:19:15 pm »
normal on all spas even if your water chemistry is spot on, I run a showroom and I wipe these spots daily especially after someone has wet tested

Any idea which chemical it is, or if using more bleach/less dichlor or some other technique helps?  I have an A7 with the mahogany cabinet and it looks terrible.

amy2421

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 03:30:02 pm »

Any idea which chemical it is, or if using more bleach/less dichlor or some other technique helps?  I have an A7 with the mahogany cabinet and it looks terrible.

I have a mahogany cabinet and do not have white spots on the cabinet or the deck.

Racenut

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 06:07:26 pm »
We got the "Sapphire Blue" shell because I thought it looked good.. I wanted a darker shell this time because the white shell we had was just blinding if used in day light.  I'm regretting that decision... it's like owning a black car.  Beautiful when it's clean... but good luck keeping it that way.  Spots are never ending, even light waterline deposits are noticeable. I should have gone with one of the the "sandstone" type finishes.  They are much easier to take care of.  But when I wipe it down, damn it does look good.  :D

av8r

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 08:55:08 pm »
Yep...minerals in the water are left behind when the water evaporates.  White spots.  If you don't have these, I'd get your drinking water tested as there's something wrong....or your drinking water is de-ionized or distilled.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 04:11:29 pm »
We got the "Sapphire Blue" shell because I thought it looked good.. I wanted a darker shell this time because the white shell we had was just blinding if used in day light.  I'm regretting that decision... it's like owning a black car.  Beautiful when it's clean... but good luck keeping it that way.  Spots are never ending, even light waterline deposits are noticeable. I should have gone with one of the the "sandstone" type finishes.  They are much easier to take care of.  But when I wipe it down, damn it does look good.  :D

correct...Blue looks amazing all polished up on the floor under LED lighting or if you have good water chemistry and you've just "wiped it down" but other times it can drive people nuts with the water spots...Sandstone of course is not as nearly as "sexy" but it is bulletproof and has been for years and years

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 04:16:51 pm »
 Try a coat of carnauba car wax, might help bead the water off.   Just from below the water-line (drain some out)and over the top edge.  Worst case it will look even better.  Worth a try.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 04:16:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42