What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Near a Wall and Cover Lifter Question  (Read 7524 times)

FL Person

Spa Near a Wall and Cover Lifter Question
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:56:11 pm »
I'll be buying a spa soon and it will be located on  a soon-to-be constructed lanai addition.  The space dictates that the spa be nearly against a wall.  As this will be my first spa, I have no experience with cover lifters.  What are my options here? 

Are there cover lifters that will function with the spa against a wall (I anticipate having the cover fold toward the wall).  If not, how much space do I need to leave between the spa and the wall?  Any space between the spa and the wall will be lost/wasted floor space.  If it's just a few inches, that will liberate the most floor space but I would imagine it'll be tough to clean between the tub and the wall.  Further from the wall will leave dead (wasted) space.

Any input is appreciated.  I'm sure there are aspects of this I'm not considering.

FL Person

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Near a Wall and Cover Lifter Question
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:56:11 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Spa Near a Wall and Cover Lifter Question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 12:24:39 am »
The Cover Valet and Covermate 3 both need 6". Those are the least you'll find.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Quickbeam

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 12:27:25 pm »
We had to have our spa tucked in tight to a corner, so we could not use a cover lifter. We chose to use a cover shelf, but that means when the spa is in use the cover slides off away from the wall. Not sure if this would work for you???

FL Person

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 01:15:06 pm »
We had to have our spa tucked in tight to a corner, so we could not use a cover lifter. We chose to use a cover shelf, but that means when the spa is in use the cover slides off away from the wall. Not sure if this would work for you???

I don't think that will work because of space limitations - I'll have to check.  But thanks for the feedback as I was unaware of that option.

FL person

Quickbeam

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 01:34:46 pm »

I don't think that will work because of space limitations - I'll have to check.  But thanks for the feedback as I was unaware of that option.

FL person

It worked great for us, and the other good thing about it is that when your spa is not in use, and the cover is in place, then you have maximized your floor space. One thing you should be aware of is that there have been reports with the cover shelf that if the cover gets heavy (from being waterlogged, etc.) it can pull the arms right off the spa side walls. In order to prevent this, I just put in some 2x6 pieces behind the spa walls, and screwed the cover shelf arms into the 2x6. No way it's going to pull away now.

FL Person

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 01:40:51 pm »
One thing you should be aware of is that there have been reports with the cover shelf that if the cover gets heavy (from being waterlogged, etc.) it can pull the arms right off the spa side walls. In order to prevent this, I just put in some 2x6 pieces behind the spa walls, and screwed the cover shelf arms into the 2x6. No way it's going to pull away now.

Thanks for the information.  I'll likely be getting a Bullfrog R6.  I'll have to check to see if there's adequate room for reinforcement where the shelf would mount - assuming I have room on the lanai for the shelf in the first place.

FL Person

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 04:12:21 pm »
The Cover Valet and Covermate 3 both need 6". Those are the least you'll find.

The Dr. has got it right, we use Covermate 3 for those "tight" installations...although I do prep customers for more than 6" of clearance..that is the absolute bare minimum and your cover "skirt/flaps" will scrape against any surface if you are only accounting for 6"

FL Person

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 12:32:02 pm »
After three months of headaches from the county, I finally have my permits and construction has begun.  I didn't want to buy a spa until I knew all of the permits were in order. 

I just looked at the Covermate III on Amazon.  One star from nine reviewers.  That's not too encouraging.

FL Person

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 02:19:48 pm »
After three months of headaches from the county, I finally have my permits and construction has begun.  I didn't want to buy a spa until I knew all of the permits were in order. 

I just looked at the Covermate III on Amazon.  One star from nine reviewers.  That's not too encouraging.

FL Person

For the amount of those we have sold over the years I see very little failure.   Usually it's operator error or the customer doesn't clip the cover down and the wind rips them off.    Shock wise if they fail I tell people to pick them up at a auto store, way less expensive.    But even those I don't see failing that often. 

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 08:04:14 pm »
It's a decent lift, that is unbelievable rough on the cover (more so that the Cover Valet, a very similar competitor). Because it's "spring loaded" by the shocks, it's ALWAYS applying upwards pressure to the covers hinge and will shorten the covers life. But, they do work well...until unbeknownst to the owner the cover has gained a lot of weight from water absorption and breaks the lifters arms.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 09:07:43 pm »
It's a decent lift, that is unbelievable rough on the cover (more so that the Cover Valet, a very similar competitor). Because it's "spring loaded" by the shocks, it's ALWAYS applying upwards pressure to the covers hinge and will shorten the covers life. But, they do work well...until unbeknownst to the owner the cover has gained a lot of weight from water absorption and breaks the lifters arms.

True.  Where's the like button! 

FL Person

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 08:28:20 am »
The spa sales guy convinced me to sacrifice some floor space and position the spa a bit further from the wall (2 feet) for the sake of easy serviceability and greater options with regard to lifters.  The deal included the Bullfrog branded lifter.   I don't know if Bullfrog actually manufactures the lifter or reboxes another.

Any feedback on the Bullfrog lifter?

FL Person

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 11:00:56 am »
I believe it's a slightly modified CoverMate 1 or 2

FL Person

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 11:46:52 am »
I believe it's a slightly modified CoverMate 1 or 2

Thanks.   Just did the wet test.   Chose the Rainshower, Oscillator and NeckBlaster.  I thought the NeckMasseuse was too similar to the Oscillator and that the NeckBlaster offered more variation among the three JetPaks.

FL Person

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 03:25:46 pm »
 Nice Choice!   The lift BF has is just a CM1 re labeled for them.   It's a good lift.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 03:25:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42