What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water level dropped  (Read 3054 times)

amy2421

Water level dropped
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:28:48 pm »
We've had our new tub (Jacuzzi J-470) filled for about a month. When we filled it, we followed the instructions to fill to halfway between the top jets and the bottom of the headrest pillows. (The manual stresses not to overfill.) We've been using the tub 4-5X per week for 20 minutes or so (2 people).

Now the water level has dropped a little bit and the top jets in one corner seat are at or above the water line, so when the pumps are on those jets are a bit noisy. Will this cause damage to these jets?

Is this normal from evaporation or water loss on bathing suits, etc.? Or should we be worried about a potential problem or leak?

Is there anything special we should do to top it up or just add more water? I'm trying to decide if we should drain and refill. We're not having any trouble with our water and it looks clear and smells fine. We've started having a little bit of sudsing and there's a slight soapy-looking film on top of the water right after the jets turn off, but it dissipates quickly.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hot Tub Forum

Water level dropped
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:28:48 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Water level dropped
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 05:54:06 am »
I wouldn't worry about the water loss, if that's all it is in a month, its sounds normal. You should top off the tub every so often with replacement water and check your chemical readings and adjust as needed. Everything you mentioned takes the water out of the tub so all that dripping, vapor, slashing and what have you removes water from the tub as you mentioned.

I definitely would change the water since you're new to tub ownership and it really will be helpful in newbie water care to drain and refill. Going forward you may not need to drain as frequently but if you find the water not looking good then change it ... It's the best chemical you can use!

amy2421

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 07:49:52 pm »
OK thanks. Took a water sample in to the dealer today and he said it is normal too. Just to fill it back up to the right level.

Quickbeam

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:25:01 pm »
Hi Amy,

Not sure if you’ve seen the other thread on changing water, but as Vinny mentioned in his reply to your post, it is recommended to change your water after one month when you have a new spa.

amy2421

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 11:15:35 am »
Hi Amy,

Not sure if you’ve seen the other thread on changing water, but as Vinny mentioned in his reply to your post, it is recommended to change your water after one month when you have a new spa.

Hi, yes I did see that thread. I asked the dealer about it and he disagreed and said we should just drain & refill after 3 months. We haven't been having any major challenges with our water so I'm really "on the fence" about it. So far the water is clear, good color, smells fine, and we're only making slight adjustments to PH & Alkalinity and adding our regular sanitizer after use and Stain & Scale once per week. Not overly foamy or filmy and no slimy feel on the shell.

Quickbeam

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 11:46:08 am »
I’ll let others chime in with their opinion, but I think your dealer is wrong. I had read the post from “Chas” that I think Vinny referred to in another thread. This was the post where Chas suggested that the water should be drained after one months’ use. I read that sometime before we got our tub about 1 1/2 years ago. So I had made up mind to do this before we got our spa.

After we had our tub one month I cleaned it with Ahh-Some and then drained and re-filled. I was surprised at what came out of the tub. Was not very nice at all. If I remember correctly, I think I even had to clean it a couple of times with Ahh-Some. In any case, I was glad I had done it.

And even if your dealer is correct, and you don’t need to change your water right now, what have you lost by doing so? It’s actually a pretty good time of year to change the water in that if you do it now it will probably carry you through the winter.

av8r

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:12:38 pm »
I agree with QB and others.  I'll be changing our water after 30 days or so.  I'll also be running a session or two of AhhSome before it's refilled for good.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 06:09:01 pm »
I agree with QB and others.  I'll be changing our water after 30 days or so.  I'll also be running a session or two of AhhSome before it's refilled for good.

You will need to change the water at some point ... it's never for good!!! ;)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 06:22:22 pm »
I agree with QB sorta........If she isn't having problems and it is still manageable keep going. Yes by all means short change it if need be but if you make 3 months good job. Be prepared to change it if it starts to get sluggish. Sluggish the right word?
Retired

av8r

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 06:52:21 pm »

You will need to change the water at some point ... it's never for good!!! ;)

LOL..

I'm going to be the first!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 06:52:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42