What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Up, up and away  (Read 5441 times)

Jan

Up, up and away
« on: July 14, 2004, 10:52:28 am »
Hello, everyone...my husband  had chosen our hot tub and were prepared to begin negotiations when we came across your forum and the recommendations to wet test (silly us)  ::). So last evening we tested the Hot Springs Envoy (our 1st choice) and also the Vanguard, (because it was set up for Spadio).

To our disappointment, both of us kept floating about the Envoy when there was current (for heaven's sake, we're not THAT skinny), and I could have drowned in most of the seats (I'm 5'6").

The salesman said that the tubs are filled higher in the sales room so that when they're on the water won't blow all over the floor. He said he keeps his personal tub at a water level just below the first jet, and that will help with our tendency to float.

Opinions, please?

Hot Tub Forum

Up, up and away
« on: July 14, 2004, 10:52:28 am »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Up, up and away
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 11:07:23 am »
things....that make you go hummmmmmmmm........I know if my tub gets below the first jet....it makes a surging sound.....I have never heard of this story and it does not make any sense to me.....did by chance he have any land or bridges for sale also....... ;)

Gerrym

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 11:07:51 am »
Hi Jan, I have been the proud owner of an Envoy now for a whole 10 days !!

I am 6' 2", my wife is 5' 5". I have found all of the seats to be perfect for me, but my wife does have trouble in some of the seats. Simple solution was to buy a cushion to put under the seats. She is now raised sufficiently to enjoy all of the seats. You may say that we should have bought a spa that suited both of us. I do not believe that possible because if it was the right height for my wife,then I would be half out of the water. I think it is best to find a spa suitable for the tallest member of the family as the shortest can always be raised by a cushion, but if it is not deep enough, then the tallest cannot shrink!
You will find the Envoy is an excellent spa and in my opinion one of the best on the market (apart from Haven spas of course, NOT !)

Enjoy shopping and let us know what you ended up with.

Gerry

Jan

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 11:39:56 am »
Thanks for the reply, both to you and Mendocino...(and to that member, I'll ask about that bridge. The salesman was handsome enough that I won't mind another trip to the show room!)  ;)

He had also recommended a cushion....I'd been trying to avoid that, because it seemed that we should be able to find one that fits both of us - though from your reply, perhaps that's not possible. Is this a common problem?

My husband also found disconcerting the fact that he tended to float about while in the lounge. In fact when both jets were on, his body tended to want to slide out toward the middle. Is that 'normal'? Such neophytes we are!  :-[

But you're right - the Envoy is a lovely thing to behold!

I WILL say, for those interested, that our experience with the Spaudio (and again, thanks to your forum, we decided to wet test IT also) decided us against built-in music. It's very nice, but we agree - for that kind of expense we can add outside speakers.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 12:23:46 pm »
Hi Jan.

Wet test is indeed the only way you can decide for yourself what tub is right for you. My wife (equally height challenged lol) found that certain tubs made by different manufacturers were quite different in that they provided more upright or more reclining seats. The more upright ones were much easier for her as they prevent the floating effect. She definetly did not like the lounger because she could simply not stay in it.

I would strongly recommend that you wet test other brands. By the sound of it you are hooked on the HS which is an excellent brand and no doub would be very happy with it, but by sitting in other tubs you will get to feel a completly new experience, such as height or depth of the seats and tendency to float.

Best of luck to you both

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 12:42:20 pm »
Hi Jan,

Proud Vanguard owner here who is more vertically challenged than you (I'm 5'0").  Floating seemed to be a factor in my wet tests in spas that had loungers.  Hence, I chose a model without one.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the Envoy, but wet test several different brands.  You will find the one for you and your husband!  (At least yours will wet test with you, mine wouldn't, so he was stuck with what I chose, luckily he likes it as well!)

Good luck!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 12:55:49 pm »
...The salesman said that the tubs are filled higher in the sales room so that when they're on the water won't blow all over the floor. He said he keeps his personal tub at a water level just below the first jet, and that will help with our tendency to float.
HUH ???
Pretty much every showroom I've been in has told me the opposite, "we keep out level a little low so that water doesn't splash out". ... in your bathtub would it be more likely to get water on the floor if the tub was more full or less full?

Mendo is right on about "below the jet"
- I would also question how well the HS filteration works with such a low level.

You got it right on the cushion - forget it! You shouldn't need a cushion to fit your $8000+ purchase. It appears as though the tubs you tested are not the right ones for you.

Keep on wet testing and wet test some more. Good Luck!
e

zzaphod42

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 01:23:59 pm »
Hello, everyone...my husband  had chosen our hot tub and were prepared to begin negotiations when we came across your forum and the recommendations to wet test (silly us)  ::). So last evening we tested the Hot Springs Envoy (our 1st choice) and also the Vanguard, (because it was set up for Spadio).

To our disappointment, both of us kept floating about the Envoy when there was current (for heaven's sake, we're not THAT skinny), and I could have drowned in most of the seats (I'm 5'6").

The salesman said that the tubs are filled higher in the sales room so that when they're on the water won't blow all over the floor. He said he keeps his personal tub at a water level just below the first jet, and that will help with our tendency to float.

Opinions, please?

You should be able to find a tub that fits you both well. Many hot tubs offer multi-level seating to accomodate all shapes and sizes. Will every seat fit both of you well in the tub? Probably not, however, you will both have different seats that feel just right. Keep searching, I'm sure your tub is out there.

Joe  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 01:25:01 pm »
HUH ???
Pretty much every showroom I've been in has told me the opposite, "we keep out level a little low so that water doesn't splash out". ... in your bathtub would it be more likely to get water on the floor if the tub was more full or less full?

Mendo is right on about "below the jet"
- I would also question how well the HS filteration works with such a low level.

You got it right on the cushion - forget it! You shouldn't need a cushion to fit your $8000+ purchase. It appears as though the tubs you tested are not the right ones for you.

Keep on wet testing and wet test some more. Good Luck!

We do the same: we run the water level up a bit so when we fire up the jets (without anybody in the tub) they don't spray, splash and make noise. But then, if somebody is coming to do a wet test, we use a swimming pool hose to syphon some out - takes a few minutes and can make all the difference in the world.

You can run the HotSpring tubs all the way down to the bottom of the skimmer door - though you may have some splash from jets if you do - but it will keep running as long as the filter area can get water.

Also keep in mind that the water level rises a bit as people are added. I think your dealer was giving it to ya straight.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

cparlf

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 02:01:36 pm »
As a fellow newbie, I feel somewhat awkward about offering advice but the height thing I do know a little about.  I am 6"4 and my wife is 5"4.  We decided on a Sundance Optima, as it seemed to have had four different corner seating levels.  Only one seat was too tall for her.

Another thing we found we liked was four corners available, without the skimmer unit taking one up.

good luck and have fun wet testing.  

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 02:02:15 pm »
We do the same: we run the water level up a bit so when we fire up the jets (without anybody in the tub) they don't spray, splash and make noise. But then, if somebody is coming to do a wet test, we use a swimming pool hose to syphon some out - takes a few minutes and can make all the difference in the world.
That makes sense... I guess they forgot to syphon for the wet test.
e

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 02:56:11 pm »
I don't know if you have a Dynasty dealer near you, but my wife and I are about the same sizes as what Gerrym said. We are all comfortable in all the seats except my wife will float in the lounger if she is wearing a suit. No suit, no problem  ;)

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 11:24:05 pm »
my wife will float in the lounger if she is wearing a suit. No suit, no problem  ;)

That's very interesting! I haven't heard anyone else say that - but I do sell a weight belt for floaters, and on the intsructions it says that as little as a pound may be all the wieght some people need to put in it.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

KevinH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 11:40:26 pm »
I found the same thing with HS. I was very disappointed because I really like HS even though they were more expensive.

I was constantly struggling to stay in the seats. The lounge was the worst   :(

Try the Caldera Aspire, the Caldera Spas have places for your feet. I read about them on this board and though OH!. But the really make a difference.
Some of the other Caldera models were too deep for me. I'm 5'6.

Everything about the Aspire felt right (your mileage may vary). I was about to give up on buying a spa after trying HS (#1), Coleman, Jacuzzi, and others.

OnMedic

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 11:48:14 pm »
Jan,

So many new suggestions, you must be getting more confused then every.

There was a tub that we tried when shopping that may have fit you need. I think it was Vita. Check it along with Beachcomber, but I think VITA may do the trick.

Cheers

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 11:48:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42