What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Always At Full Hot  (Read 3028 times)

Jaynen

Hot Tub Always At Full Hot
« on: October 16, 2015, 02:53:19 pm »
I have a coast spa hot tub.  No idea what model number.  The problem that started is that when ever we go to go in the hot tub it's at full blast heat.  Which is 104.  If we go to turn it down, we can but then right away it goes back up to 104.  Up and down for heat is the only thing that works on the control board.  Once we unplugged the tub for about 30 hours and plugged it back in and everything functioned perfectly.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Always At Full Hot
« on: October 16, 2015, 02:53:19 pm »

castletonia

Re: Hot Tub Always At Full Hot
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 02:59:04 pm »
If the hot tub has a digital control panel its possible the "warm" or "temperature up" button is stuck and that is why the temp is always set to 104.

Jaynen

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 03:01:24 pm »
It's digital.  But I have done lots of tests and no buttons are stuck.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 03:21:31 pm »
I wanted to say welcome to the forum!   

My question, and I am the least knowledgeable about the tech aspect around here about hot tubs anyway,   I'm not sure if you are saying the tub is staying at an actual temp of 104   and/or the set pont is staying 104.   

Are you saying you turn it down to say 101, you see its set to 101, but it a second or two the display goes back to actual and that is always 104?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 03:28:54 pm »
Are you sure it is at 104? I used to keep a thermometer in the tub when it was new to see how close it actually was. Is there any indication that when you lower the temp that it's calling for heat? Is it possible that the tub is in direct sunlight and it is getting that hot on it's own. Summer for me means to keep it cooler than I need because the temp will creep up.

Jaynen

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 03:32:32 pm »
The temperature of the tub is 104 and the control board says 104.  If you start clicking down on the heat setting the heater will turn off after a few degrees.  Let go of the button and the display climbs back up to 104 and the heater kicks on again

castletonia

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 03:38:10 pm »
If once you stop pressing the cool or temp down button and then the temperature setting goes back up to 104, why do you think its not a stuck button on the control panel?  The default temperature setting likely isn't 104 and if the setting on the control panel is 104, I don't think there is anything other than the control panel that would make it go to 104.  If you just disconnected the control panel the hot tub will probably maintain the default temperature which is probably 100.  I have seen numerous control panels do this from both Balboa and Gecko and your Coast uses one of the other depending on model and year.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 03:40:28 pm »
Although I'm not a spa tech (I'm a different type of tech) I would suspect the control panel as well.

Jaynen

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 03:47:58 pm »
Ya it acts just like it's the heat up button is stuck.  But we unplugged the tub for roughly 30 hours and plugged it back in and everything worked.  Just coincidence?  The control is pretty pricey to replace.  I'm just testing now by unplugging the tub again and letting it drop to 80 then turning it on to see if that does anything.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 04:04:59 pm »
It could be an electronic glitch - unplug it and the electronics reset. If you have "dirty" power that could cause problems with electronics. You may not need to keep the power off for a long time to reset it, maybe try an hour or two sometimes electronics have capacitors to hold memory for a while (it could also be for many hours). Does the up button look indented? Sometimes the bubble type switches become problematic because they no longer are the original shape (bulging up (correct)vs being indented (worn out)).

Jaynen

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 04:07:51 pm »
The button and all the other buttons look and feel the same that's why I'm thinking some glitch.  When press down the one time I pressed it to 60 and as it was climbing I pressed up and it went faster.  Pretty sure something is causing a glitch or error.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 04:24:03 pm »
You could try plugging and unplugging connectors if you're up to it. Just make sure power is off and do one at a time. Sometimes tarnish/dirt gets in between the contacts and a problem happens. I've seen electronics go from bad to OK just by pulling off a connector and plugging back in. I know nothing about spa controllers but I would imagine there is at least 1 ribbon cable that goes from the keypad to the control board/display board that is underneath the keypad.

Jaynen

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 04:28:42 pm »
That's a good idea.  I unplugged the control board so that I could change the pump capacitor.  I'm gonna check it out.  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 04:28:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42