What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Site preparation?  (Read 4740 times)

cparlf

Site preparation?
« on: July 14, 2004, 02:31:58 pm »
Would anyone be willing to comment on the preparation of the site the tub will sit on and electric 220 service?  I plan on concrete and about fell over yesterday with a $1500 estimate for a 10 foot by 10 foot pad.  How can I get the cost down?  By digging myself?  What kind of cement; is there a pressure rating or something like it?  The manual says a minumum of 4 inches think, but does not mention rebar or other reinforcement. What is a normal price range for running a 220 line?  One estimate received so far was $750 for the first 50 foot.

And I thought the tub was expensive?

O yeah, we live in Central New Jersey.  Thanks for your help.

Hot Tub Forum

Site preparation?
« on: July 14, 2004, 02:31:58 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Site preparation?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 02:53:33 pm »
I had a 10*10 4" pad put in for $600, I dug the area up and he put in the forms and did teh concrete work.  I spent about $300 on parts and bribed an electrician relative to do much of the work.  I hung the GCFI box and ran the wire to it, let him tie in to the main panel and I did the wiring to the tub myself.  Yea, when you think you have spent a lot of money you find that there is more to spend to get it in.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 03:42:21 pm »
Get at least a couple more bids.  That will let you know if your estimates are in line.  That said, you can shave off some bucks by doing the concrete forms by yourself, and just ordering the ready mix truck.  Be sure you are comfortable working with this, you don't want to get in over your ablility.  
As far as electric, spa wiring isn't a good place to learn.  The code rules can be complicated, and you want a good, safe connection.  
I did my own base and electric, but I am familiar with those things, I did save a grand or two, though.
Brewman
Brewman

OnMedic

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 05:27:52 pm »
Well, ours was a do-it yourself job and the costs were as follows. Lots of labour as we sunk our pad 12-1/2" and then dug a 12" hole for the concrete. My back was killing, but felt much better when I was able to soak!

Concrete Pad - 72 sq. ft. @ 8" thick (1.6 Yards of concrete) = $285.00 USD

Electrical - 70 ft. 6/3 Direct Burial wire, 40 ft. 16/2 Direct Burial Wire, Pony Panel inside, 60A Breaker, Cutler Spa Kit GFCI, some conduit and an extra 15A breaker and 120 GFCI outlet outside = $490.00 USD.

The quotes I received for the 8x8 pad were all around $900.00.

hope this helps

UnderTheStars

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 09:11:07 pm »
I'm doing the dig & building the forms myself:  9' x 11' x 6" with 5/8 rebar.  Hiring concrete pro to float the slab primarily 'cause it's hand carry in wheelbarrows from the street (approx. 50 - 70yards w/a couple turns.)  Concrete guy will charge me $900.

I can get this done for a couple hundred less so why would I "overpay?"  This is a long post but please read all of it - there is info here that you need to consider.  The guy I hired is a major player. won't cut corners, will bring the exact mix I specify.  He will deal with me ethically/honestly.  (I think that's something we shop for in our hottub dealer - read on!)

Yes, there is a difference in concrete:  Standard 2500 psi (called 5 bag mix which means 5 bags of portland cement per cubic yard) is used for walls, footings, etc.  Stronger 3000 psi (6 bag mix) is used for slabs, garage floors, retaining walls, etc.  There are other "crete" options as well:  air entrained, fibre re-inforced, not to mention the water ratio.)

There is also a difference in concrete guys.  Understand that this size slab is a very small job.  Concrete guy will consider it a "fill-in" job that is used to keep busy between bigger work.  (That's why so many people post "waiting for the conc. guy. . .")  Unfortunately I've seen more than one concrete guy who will pour a bigger job then send a couple guys with the mixer to "empty out" at a fill-in site.  The fill-in job gets whatever recipe was ordered for the big job.   That may or may not be in the little guys best interest (2500 psi, 3000 psi?  Who cares, right?)  A crete guy who will do that will also juice the mix (add extra water) to make it easier to pull.  Properly mixed crete is a backbreaker to pull any distance in the form.  A great trick is to add water, and "shoot" the mix from the truck (discharge a high quanity w/high force.)  I've seen jobs where they were able to "shoot" all the way down a footer form for a house with almost no dragging with hoes.  It's a neat trick. . .Oh by the way, overwatering the mix causes a significant weakening of the finished product.

So, I agree with the poster who said talk to several & get multiple bids.  But it's not just the bid you should compare.  Ask about what mix they'll use.  Will they clean-out at your job or order 2 yards just for you?  (Do you mind showing me the delivery ticket when the mixer arrives?  Some guys hate that question - why?)  Also ask each one to explain air-entrained and fibre reinforced and ask their recommendation.  Bottom line should be pretty clear:  Some guys won't even talk to you at this point.  That's ok, probably not who you want to hire.  Some will bid the whole thing over the phone - that's ok if they deal patiently with your questions.

Final suggestion, if you get a man out to your home and he's looking at site, making suggestions, dealing with your questions - offer to pay him an hour's labor as a consulting fee.  It's the best $20 you'll spend because you'll establish a positive relationship with an honest/ethical professional.  Look, concrete is not brain surgery.  It's an art that requires knowlege & skill in addition to muscle.  .  . Or, just take the cheapest price, it's your $8000 hottub.

I appologize for the size of this, I hope it helps someone out there.  Cheers!

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 09:26:56 pm »
I had someone do a 10X14 for $400,its was very cheap so i had him do a Patio with a 20 foot walk way also for another $400.He did a really nice job 4 inchs.... JohnnyT

Netnutty

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 05:10:53 pm »
I'm having a 10'x10' pad poured as I write. I'm also having a short walk added (about 5 feet) to connect the pad to my existing walk.

I've hired a guy to do the job. He has two guys working for him that removed the grass and prepared the ground underneath, then laid the forms.

I'm paying $800 for all of this (and my soil is BAD - lots of rocks).

The electrician has quoted $650 for 60 amp service ($50 less for 50 amp). This includes running the line into the garage from the breaker box, then out through a side wall into the backyard, down the wall, under a sidewalk, then running along the face of a block wall at ground level that separates my yard from the neighbor's, to the GFI panel. He will later come back and do the final hookup to the spa. The total distance is about 50 feet.

Good luck. I had to place a lot of calls to get someone who not only would give a good price but came recommended, for both the pad and the electrical.

Netnutty

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 05:10:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42