What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: what to do..ethically  (Read 7462 times)

Thedoc

what to do..ethically
« on: September 27, 2015, 02:25:58 pm »
      I was out of town part of the weekend and while eating lunch on Saturday I noticed a Hotspring dealer across the road and decided I would go in and do some price checking since I was going to my local dealer on Monday for a follow up visit and have him give me his out the door prices...local dealer is 70 miles away...the dealer I checked with on Saturday gave me what I considered a real good deal on an envoy which is the hot tub we want ...my concern is that I would like to deal locally but if the difference is quite large I would want to go with the dealer that is 3 hours away. I was also told from the dealer far away that if I decide to deal with them that since my local dealer is a hotsprings dealer he would have to do any warranty work if it was needed...maybe tomorrow he will give me the same deal and there will not be a problem but the deal will have to be made tomorrow since the $1000 rebate ends then....

Hot Tub Forum

what to do..ethically
« on: September 27, 2015, 02:25:58 pm »

Racenut

Re: what to do..ethically
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 02:38:25 pm »
Lean on your local dealer for the same deal, or at the very least make it close enough that it's not worth going to the other dealer.  When it comes to items where the price is negotiable, that's expected of you.

ski bum

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 03:14:37 pm »
What was the quote for the Envoy?  Considering that one too and wondering what they are actually be sold for.

I would say go with the dealer that can provide the long-term service.  That is a part of what you are paying for afterall.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 03:44:45 pm »

I was also told from the dealer far away that if I decide to deal with them that since my local dealer is a hotsprings dealer he would have to do any warranty work if it was needed

This is absolutely incorrect! Your local dealer would be under absolutely no obligation whatsoever to cover any warranty work (the dealer that sells the spa is obligated to do any warranty work).

Tell him the price you were offered and give him a chance to better his price.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 03:59:41 pm »

I was also told from the dealer far away that if I decide to deal with them that since my local dealer is a hotsprings dealer he would have to do any warranty work if it was needed

This is absolutely incorrect! Your local dealer would be under absolutely no obligation whatsoever to cover any warranty work (the dealer that sells the spa is obligated to do any warranty work).

Tell him the price you were offered and give him a chance to better his price.

Dr. Spa is correct, he may flat out deny to work on it at all, or he may be willing to do it, but may try and charge an outrageous "trip charge" since you purchased from another dealer which in essence is telling you he has no interest in working on it lol

Thedoc

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 04:11:52 pm »
That was one thing I was wondering about was whether he would be obligated to do the warranty work or not that was a big concern....my quote including the dual piston covercradle, standard cover, standard steps is $10827.50 plus $350 deliver a/c the distance (3hours one way)

Thedoc

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 04:25:02 pm »
I forgot to add that price is including taxes that is out the door price

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 04:57:33 pm »
That was one thing I was wondering about was whether he would be obligated to do the warranty work or not that was a big concern....my quote including the dual piston covercradle, standard cover, standard steps is $10827.50 plus $350 deliver a/c the distance (3hours one way)

Nope, the only dealer who is obligated (by contract with the manufacturer) to work on your spa is one you purchase from...even if your "local" dealer is across the street from your house there is nothing you or the manufacturer can do to "force" him to work on it under the warranty time period.  I'm not saying he won't work on it, just giving you the facts so I'd make sure all those details are ironed out before purchase, like someone mentioned above push your local guy to sharpen his pencil a bit

ski bum

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 06:30:24 pm »
I forgot to add that price is including taxes that is out the door price

Coming from an interested buyer looking at the Hot Spring brand, why did you decide on the Envoy?  Did you wet test any other hot spring tubs? 

Thedoc

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 08:01:03 pm »
Only wet tested the aria and the envoy (my wife did not me) as long as she is happy I am happy and she liked the lay out of the envoy better the captain seat etc....they also had bullfrog brand and we only looked at them as she liked the hotsprings better.

wt21

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 08:50:11 pm »
The people here on this board are great, but I have to say this is a barbaric, caveman age industry. Always on sale, won't do warranty work, no price visibility, expectations to plunk down $10k without a test (sometimes without even seeing the unit). As bad as used car sales. With the advent of online used car pricing, perhaps this is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

All my appreciation for the fine techs, and the industry folks who post here, but the sales situation in this industry is terrible. I am frankly exhausted by it from shopping for a spa.

Racenut

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 09:36:53 pm »
The people here on this board are great, but I have to say this is a barbaric, caveman age industry. Always on sale, won't do warranty work, no price visibility, expectations to plunk down $10k without a test (sometimes without even seeing the unit). As bad as used car sales. With the advent of online used car pricing, perhaps this is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

All my appreciation for the fine techs, and the industry folks who post here, but the sales situation in this industry is terrible. I am frankly exhausted by it from shopping for a spa.

Agreed.... if you've ever bought an RV, it's pretty much the same experience.  High priced, luxury items that are sold as if money is no object.  I always laugh as it seems like both industries love to use the word "investment".  No dude, this isn't an investment, in fact it's a terrible investment.  It's spending a crap load of money for something to make me comfortable because I have more money than sense :D

Thedoc

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 10:03:52 pm »
Yea I know what you mean if my local dealer does not give me something real close to the deal 3 hours away I will just get everything ready for a tub and start again in the spring when I really wanted to buy it. I was only going to now because of the $1000 off deal. I cannot afford to get the warranty work all screwed up.....and don't get me wrong I can also see it from the other point of view...I guess I will find out tomorrow....I want to thank everyone for their input.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 10:04:12 pm »
Hot tub sales is kind of a it is what it is. There are plenty of good dealers out there and plenty of crappy dealers as well. You just need to do your homework. It's not feasible for most of us to stock every hot tub and have them all available to wet test. Most dealers will move tubs around so you can what test what we have in stock. As far as warranty work, I would do any warranty work if the manufacturers paid more. For most dealers doing warranty work is a money loser. I try not to charge trip fees for warranty work and thankfully the 2 brands I carry I don't have much of it to do

wt21

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 10:18:49 pm »
As far as warranty work, I would do any warranty work if the manufacturers paid more. For most dealers doing warranty work is a money loser. I try not to charge trip fees for warranty work and thankfully the 2 brands I carry I don't have much of it to do

Sorry for my rant, and that bit on the warranty work stinks for the dealers.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:24:55 pm by wt21 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 10:18:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42