What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shopping for Dimension One, Hot Spring or Maax Spa and need help choosing.  (Read 9724 times)

Shopper

This is the first time we have ever shopped and researched hot tubs, and we want to make sure we make the right choice.
And from what I've read the best three brands for energy efficiency, longevity and least amount of maintenance needed are - Dimension One Spas, Hot Spring Spas, and Maax Spas.  We currently have a 1998 Diplomat D1 spa and the digital panel has quit and the spa has a small leak underneath.  At a minimum it will cost us $1000 to have it fixed... so we are thinking replacement.

Just looking at pictures on the web sites, the seat design and size of the below 4 spas are appealing: (anyone know what the pros and cons of each? which of the four is the quietest when the jets are on? and ballpark installed price? any rebates offered?)
D1 Dream - $6495 plus tax installed with removal of old spa (price I've been quoted)
Hot Spring - Relay
Maax Spas - model 472 & model 461

And I have lots of questions, if anyone happens to know the answers:
What is the warranty on each one?  Does the warranty include parts and labor, and if so for how long? And how many replaceable filters does each spa need?  Are they all about the same or different with energy efficiency and quality of heaters? do they all use chlorine or are some salt?  currently I use that purple cartridge (Vision Sanitizing System - Universal cartridge) that you replace every 3 months and shock it once a week and add a small amount of chlorine and replace the filters every 6 months.... is that going to be the same with a new spa?

Thanks so much for your help! 

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Shopping for Dimension One, Hot Spring or Maax Spa and need help choosing.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 05:14:17 pm »
This is the first time we have ever shopped and researched hot tubs, and we want to make sure we make the right choice.
And from what I've read the best three brands for energy efficiency, longevity and least amount of maintenance needed are - Dimension One Spas, Hot Spring Spas, and Maax Spas.  We currently have a 1998 Diplomat D1 spa and the digital panel has quit and the spa has a small leak underneath.  At a minimum it will cost us $1000 to have it fixed... so we are thinking replacement.

Just looking at pictures on the web sites, the seat design and size of the below 4 spas are appealing: (anyone know what the pros and cons of each? which of the four is the quietest when the jets are on? and ballpark installed price? any rebates offered?)
D1 Dream - $6495 plus tax installed with removal of old spa (price I've been quoted)
Hot Spring - Relay
Maax Spas - model 472 & model 461

And I have lots of questions, if anyone happens to know the answers:
What is the warranty on each one?  Does the warranty include parts and labor, and if so for how long? And how many replaceable filters does each spa need?  Are they all about the same or different with energy efficiency and quality of heaters? do they all use chlorine or are some salt?  currently I use that purple cartridge (Vision Sanitizing System - Universal cartridge) that you replace every 3 months and shock it once a week and add a small amount of chlorine and replace the filters every 6 months.... is that going to be the same with a new spa?

Thanks so much for your help!

Can you please show me where you read that Maxx Spas have a reputation for energy efficiency, longevity and low maintenance? D1, HS and several other brands yes but Maxx.........
Retired

Shopper

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 08:52:45 am »
The dealer said that about the three brands and I'm new to all of this.

Is the D1 Dream a safe bet?  Based on paper analysis it seems to be the best quality at the best price, but we will need to go see it in person before I can make a real assessment.  When we go in, what should I look for? 

Thanks for responding. 

Shopper

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 09:07:17 am »
Also, between the D1 Dream and Hot Spring/Hot Spot - Relay - which hot tub will have the longest lasting parts and have the least amount of maintenance needed?  I don't mind maintaining the water and filters and such, but I want the hot tub that is built like a tank. 

Our current D1 Diplomat hot tub from 1998 just crapped out on us, and I would love to buy another hot tub that is going to last us 17 plus years with minimal part replacement/maintenance.  So if there is another brand of hot tub that will be better for us in the long run... please let me know. 

Thanks for any help!

wt21

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:14:24 am »
I'm new to all of this too, and the one thing I can tell you is that the dealers will tell you anything. I won't even go into the details of the stuff that is been said right to my face. You will need to do some research on your own online, and visit a number of dealers, as they all carry different brands. This is a good resource for some research, but don't stop there. There are still other forums, many other blogs and reviews, and of course in person visits.

This is an expensive purchase, and with the options and information, imo, this is as complicated as a new car buy. The difference is you may already know something about cars, where you probably know nothing about hot tubs. So you really need to do some research.

I haven't purchased yet, but three weeks into this, and I know a lot more about what I should look for and what I want out of a hot tub.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:16:48 am by wt21 »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 02:35:46 pm »
You are looking at The Hot Spot line and the at home series from D-1.  They are going to be comparable tubs but both tubs you are looking at are from there entry level lines.  If you are looking for a tub to last 17 years again look at the next series up from both of these lines

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 04:58:33 pm »
You are looking at The Hot Spot line and the at home series from D-1.  They are going to be comparable tubs but both tubs you are looking at are from there entry level lines.  If you are looking for a tub to last 17 years again look at the next series up from both of these lines

Good advice.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 05:04:02 pm »

Good advice.

I think you either accept that you're going with more of the value line which may not make that 17 year goal but allows you to stay within a certain budget OR step up to the next series where you get more and maybe can expect more longevity. I think either way works as long as you go in with your eyes open.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Racenut

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 07:00:24 pm »

Is there some specific difference that will make the higher end one last longer?

orlando1

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 08:28:29 pm »
Two of the main differences are better quality parts, and better build quality.

Racenut

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 10:30:39 pm »
Two of the main differences are better quality parts, and better build quality.

Comparing high end brands to low end brands, sure.  But even within the same brand?  Does Hot Spring use lower quality pumps and plumbing on their Hot Spots vs Limelight vs Highlife?  The NXT are nicer, better finish, more lights, more pumps, more features to justify the price.  But are they really expected to last longer?

In the same vein as I don't expect a Lexus to last longer than a Toyota, assuming they are cared for the same.

orlando1

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 07:51:11 am »
Yes, even within the same brand. They don't use the same jets, pumps etc. I would advise you to do research.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 11:02:06 am »
Pumps may be different Hp (and sometimes the same) but they're the typically the same otherwise. The differences beyond the added lighting, waterfalls... are often upgrades in the siding, the jets, the heater and the controls...

orlando1

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 11:57:26 am »
The wavemaster 9000 is a just better pump than the wavemaster 6000. And although built by the same company, it's not the same build. That's just like saying the only difference between a chevy malibu and a corvette is horsepower. Same brand don't equal same quality. And wouldn't all the other differences you pointed out equate to a better built tub?  I'm not saying budget lines from reputable brands aren't good, but it's just not the same build as their top tier lines.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 12:04:41 pm »
The wavemaster 9000 is a just better pump than the wavemaster 6000. And although built by the same company, it's not the same build. That's just like saying the only difference between a chevy malibu and a corvette is horsepower. Same brand don't equal same quality. And wouldn't all the other differences you pointed out equate to a better built tub?  I'm not saying budget lines from reputable brands aren't good, but it's just not the same build as their top tier lines.

Absolutely the differences equate to a better spa and if the price were the same its a no-brainer. some prefer a Chevy Cruze for $20k, another the Malibu for $30k and yet for another the Corvette is the right car for them at $50k and its the same with hot tubs where one person is more than happy with a Hot Spot while the next guy bumps up to a Limelight or is only going to be happy with the top of the line Hot Springs. It all depends on what the person wants, needs, expectations and budget.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 12:04:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42