What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying a "refurb" hot tub??  (Read 7969 times)

av8r

Re: Buying a "refurb" hot tub??
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 09:26:11 pm »
If I'm overplaying the circ pump in terms of noise, I could drop that, but I'd really like the ozone

My nearest dealer is a "luxury" dealer, so they are always walking me up in price. For example, when I told them the Chelsee was too much, and I need to shave $2-3K off the price, is there something smaller, the recommend a J-345 for maybe a little less than $1K less. It's kind of getting to me. I appreciate all the help here.

I dunno, but on most tubs you can run a filter cycle any time you want.  Run the cycle on low speed at 3 AM and I doubt you'll ever hear it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 09:26:11 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 09:27:44 pm »
What make/model for $4,500?

That's a wonderful price for me, but I would want some semblance of quality??

You simply need to do a little research.  Hotsprings makes the Hot Spot line, Nordic has tubs, you can get a Bullfrog for low 5s, lots of others out there.  Plenty of quality.  I'm not referring to the Costco tubs here.
L bullfrog has tubs in the low 5's?  Which models I always thought there entry level stuff was pushing 7k
Here, the R5L was $5500 less $500 rebate for Labor day.

Wow had no idea.  That must be a smaller tub. Bullfrog is definetely a neat design

wt21

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 09:31:20 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 09:35:52 pm »
Your in mass correct?  Whereabouts?

West of Boston

Im in southeast mass. The hot springs, jacuzzi, sundance dealer is a very reputable company.  Depending how far west of Boston you are the Big E is going on in Springfield. Lots of spa dealers there.  in the price range you are looking for you should be able to find a good amount of options

Isaac-1

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 02:50:00 am »
If buying a refurbished hot tub try to buy one that was a high quality tub when new.  Dealers get these tubs for little or nothing when people trade in / trade up and a refurbished 10 year old Mercedes is always going to be nicer than a 10 year old refurbished Yugo.

jmauceri

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 08:06:09 am »
I recently bought a 2008 Marquis Epic from someone off of Craigslist,  and I have to say I'm very happy. The tub was over $11,000 new and I picked it up for $3,500.

wt21

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 08:47:02 am »
Thanks. A couple of questions:

1. how much cleaning did you have to do?
2. was it filled and running when you first saw it?
3. how old was the tub (what year)
4. how did you move it?

Thanks for any help.

av8r

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 11:26:05 am »
I looked at high end, fairly new tubs prior to buying new.  My comments are inline.

Thanks. A couple of questions:

1. how much cleaning did you have to do?  I set a limit of 2 years old for a used tub.  All that we looked at were outwardly very clean.  I'd have run a few cycles of Ahh-Some or similar product through any used tub prior to use if we had gone that route.

2. was it filled and running when you first saw it? I removed from consideration any tub that would not be seen running, heated, etc.

3. how old was the tub (what year) I was close to buying a 2014 Hot Spring Jetsetter that was 4 months old.  Price was $4750 for a tub that had a retail of close to $8000

4. how did you move it? I had a local spa dealer who offered to rent me his Spa Dolly and 2 of his guys to collect, transport and install the tub.  Cost to me was $250 for a weekend (tub was 5 hours away)

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:27:46 am by av8r »

wt21

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 12:08:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I have been watching craigslist, but in my immediate area, they are all like 10 years old. Maybe I just need to be patient for me recent ones :)

Racenut

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 01:48:12 pm »
I would be wary of 10 years old.... my current tub is a D1 and was a great tub for 10 years... then we moved it to build a new patio. Just from one side of the yard to the other, then back.  It's been a leak monster ever since. I think that after 10 years, the pipe joints get brittle. No problem as long as you don't move it.  So the used tub may look and run fine when you agree to buy it, but may not once you get it to a new location.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 03:14:14 pm »
I would be wary of 10 years old.... my current tub is a D1 and was a great tub for 10 years... then we moved it to build a new patio. Just from one side of the yard to the other, then back.  It's been a leak monster ever since. I think that after 10 years, the pipe joints get brittle. No problem as long as you don't move it.  So the used tub may look and run fine when you agree to buy it, but may not once you get it to a new location.

I'm surprised that you couldn't get at least one move out of a 10 yo D1. I have moved older D1's successfully.

I'd still be wary of 10 yo high quality manufacturers though unless it was cheap enough.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 03:14:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42