What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying a "refurb" hot tub??  (Read 7960 times)

wt21

Buying a "refurb" hot tub??
« on: September 18, 2015, 04:58:34 pm »
We are looking for a spa mainly for kids, and a little for us to relax in. Big issue is that we've never had one before, and I'm a little scared of having a $10K regret purchase.

So...

Local dealer has 2 ten year old spas -- 2005 sundance marin ($3700) and 2006 sundance majesta ($4000)

They said they took these on trade in, replaced the items likely to fail, cleaned them out, etc. 60 day warranty. This is a long-standing reputable dealer with their own service dept who rates highly on Angie's list.

What do folks thinking of buying these spas in particular. I was going to get a $9K Chelsee, but once I got the site prep price in ($3K), I'm over my budget of $10K. I think I'd like a tub larger than the Marin, but as this is our first spa, maybe we should just go cheap, and if it's proven to work for us, we can upgrade??

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:03:09 pm by wt21 »

Hot Tub Forum

Buying a "refurb" hot tub??
« on: September 18, 2015, 04:58:34 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Buying a "refurb" hot tub??
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 06:19:11 pm »
You actually can get a decent new spa at $7k as long as you are ok with skipping some of the bells and whistles. Having said that, buying used can be a good option sometimes and in this case you get a bit of insurance but I can almost guarantee those prices are negotiable so I'd offer $1k less and wait for their counter. I might also ask them to bump that up to 90 days.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:11:33 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Racenut

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 06:29:50 pm »
Going cheap and upgrading later is a much more expensive proposition than the $300 difference in price on those two.  With your quoted $3K in prep price, you're +/- $300 on $6700 vs $7000 spent.  That's nothing....  get the tub you prefer and enjoy it from the start :)

av8r

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 07:49:02 pm »
You can buy a new tub for $4500.  Warranty and new components.  No frills, but it's really just a big tub full of water, a pump and a heater.

wt21

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 08:04:13 pm »
What make/model for $4,500?

That's a wonderful price for me, but I would want some semblance of quality??

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 08:07:12 pm »

Look at Nordic Hot Tubs. They have many tubs in the that price point. They are a well made, no frills type of tub with great factory support and a good warramty

wt21

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 08:40:06 pm »
Thanks. There's a dealer not too far away. I'm guessing no circ pump, though? Not sure about ozone.

av8r

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 08:56:49 pm »
Thanks. There's a dealer not too far away. I'm guessing no circ pump, though? Not sure about ozone.

Neither are necessary.  People had tubs for decades without them and managed to survive.  Nordic and others make some nice, no-nonsense tubs without all the marketing department frills.  You'll enjoy these tubs just as much as a $12K tub with a laser light show and ozonically treated water.  :)

av8r

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 08:58:27 pm »

You simply need to do a little research.  Hotsprings makes the Hot Spot line, Nordic has tubs, you can get a Bullfrog for low 5s, lots of others out there.  Plenty of quality.  I'm not referring to the Costco tubs here.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 09:14:46 pm »

No circ pump but ozone is available. Circ pumps aren't needed. The main line I carry, marquis hasn't used them for years and I never have a issue keeping any of them clean and clear. They are also very quiet to run. Same thing with nordic which I also carry

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 09:16:39 pm »

You simply need to do a little research.  Hotsprings makes the Hot Spot line, Nordic has tubs, you can get a Bullfrog for low 5s, lots of others out there.  Plenty of quality.  I'm not referring to the Costco tubs here.
L bullfrog has tubs in the low 5's?  Which models I always thought there entry level stuff was pushing 7k

wt21

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:01 pm »
If I'm overplaying the circ pump in terms of noise, I could drop that, but I'd really like the ozone

My nearest dealer is a "luxury" dealer, so they are always walking me up in price. For example, when I told them the Chelsee was too much, and I need to shave $2-3K off the price, is there something smaller, the recommend a J-345 for maybe a little less than $1K less. It's kind of getting to me. I appreciate all the help here.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 09:22:34 pm »
Your in mass correct?  Whereabouts?

av8r

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 09:24:54 pm »

L bullfrog has tubs in the low 5's?  Which models I always thought there entry level stuff was pushing 7k
Here, the R5L was $5500 less $500 rebate for Labor day.

wt21

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 09:25:23 pm »
Your in mass correct?  Whereabouts?

West of Boston

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 09:25:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42