What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Test kits Taylor? Poolmaster? Other?  (Read 2327 times)

av8r

Test kits Taylor? Poolmaster? Other?
« on: September 12, 2015, 08:05:01 am »
I've been using a basic Chlorine and PH kit for our pool for years and honestly, I can just look out the window and tell what's up with the water 95% of the time.  With a tub it appears that there are more things to test for and while I love gadgets and science I'm not one to fuss over these things.  So...I see the Taylor 2005 kit and several other brands of what appear to be similar kits.  Poolmaster, etc seem to have similar kits. 

So, buy the Taylor and be done or do these $20 kits suffice?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Test kits Taylor? Poolmaster? Other?
« on: September 12, 2015, 08:05:01 am »

chem geek

Re: Test kits Taylor? Poolmaster? Other?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 09:40:51 pm »
You should also test at least for Total Alkalinity (TA) even in the pool, especially if you are using Trichlor tabs.  In a spa if you use Dichlor-only, then the TA drops over time.  The Calcium Hardness (CH) would be useful to know if it is too high (so pH and/or TA will need to be kept lower to prevent scaling) or if you need more CH to help prevent foaming.

While the Taylor K-2005 will give you all of that as well as Cyanuric Acid (CYA) testing, the Taylor K-2006 has a more accurate FAS-DPD chlorine test that is also useful for the pool especially if you need to shock it (elevate chlorine level and maintain) to kill off algae if you get a bloom or have to clear the pool upon spring opening.  The K-2006 is the gold standard of test kits.

av8r

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 09:50:53 pm »
You should also test at least for Total Alkalinity (TA) even in the pool, especially if you are using Trichlor tabs.  In a spa if you use Dichlor-only, then the TA drops over time.  The Calcium Hardness (CH) would be useful to know if it is too high (so pH and/or TA will need to be kept lower to prevent scaling) or if you need more CH to help prevent foaming.

While the Taylor K-2005 will give you all of that as well as Cyanuric Acid (CYA) testing, the Taylor K-2006 has a more accurate FAS-DPD chlorine test that is also useful for the pool especially if you need to shock it (elevate chlorine level and maintain) to kill off algae if you get a bloom or have to clear the pool upon spring opening.  The K-2006 is the gold standard of test kits.

Thanks.  I was hoping you might respond.  I had looked at the 2006, but wasn't sure if it was overkill.  I'm usually all about overkill.  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 09:50:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42