What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Do you "unplug" your spa during bad thunderstorms?  (Read 18909 times)

tubin

Do you "unplug" your spa during bad thunderstorms?
« on: July 12, 2004, 05:37:31 pm »
??? just wondering if i should, i could just flip the breaker from inside the house....but didn't know if spa knockout by lightning was common enough to worry.

Thanks!!

Hot Tub Forum

Do you "unplug" your spa during bad thunderstorms?
« on: July 12, 2004, 05:37:31 pm »

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
Re: Do you "unplug" your spa during bad thundersto
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 07:03:21 pm »
Might be a good idea, depends on how severe the electrical storm. Just 2 days ago we had a massive lightning storm roll right over the show room. It knocked out the power twice for a fraction of a second each time about 30 seconds apart. When I checked the top side controlls on my J-315 and 345 wet demos, they were both going haywire. Blinking and flashing the numbers in reverse order, they looked posesed. I tripped the breaker, waited 30 seconds, and each spa reset itsel fine. My wet 385 shown now adverse affects. So, I don't know, maybe it's a good idea. Lightning damage to your circuit board isn't a warranty issue, but a homeowners insurance issue.
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 09:58:57 pm »
It couldn't hurt!

You should ask johnnythunders, with a name like that, he's got to know!! :)

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 10:08:13 pm »
look look lets not throw names around,This board helped me in buying my spa.Hope you will be around here after you get yours lol ;)Jt

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 10:21:15 pm »
Sorry jt, just thought I would give you some credit for such a great handle!

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 10:23:44 pm »
If you want to see Johnny Thunders look at www.pickwickrecords.com on the left lol....Jt ;)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 10:30:07 pm »
If you want to see Johnny Thunders look at www.pickwickrecords.com on the left lol....Jt

Wow! It looks like a couple of people in that picture not only forgot to unplug their spa in a thunderstorm, they were still in it when the lightning struck!!!

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 10:38:03 pm »
Huh?  Am I missing something?  I dont see any pictures on the left of that website except for the funky colored globe.

tubin

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 11:19:19 pm »
you have to wait a second for the picture to load...or get "loaded" (no pun intended jt)  ;D

anyone ever heard of a tub getting fried?  i have only heard of it once since i have been here on the forum.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 11:19:53 pm by tubin »

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 11:30:58 pm »
you have to wait a second for the picture to load...or get "loaded" (no pun intended jt)  ;D

anyone ever heard of a tub getting fried?  i have only heard of it once since i have been here on the forum.

Yes there was a recent post of a fellow having trouble with his tub after a thunder Storm.

It is always a good idea to disconnect any electronics, ie TV, Computer or Hot Tub ( hot Tubs are controlled by microprocessors these days. )  Electronics are very sensitive to electrical surges.

So In severe electrical storms it is good insurance to unplug or disconnect for the duration.  Better Safe than Sorry!

mrscherry

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 10:06:25 am »
Mine is being installed today but doesn't have a plug, it's wired directly to a subpanel.  

Anyway, a girl once hit a electric pole a couple miles from our house, causing a power surge which zapped all of our electronics, including 2 satellite receivers, 2 TVs, a VCR, my treadmill, our heat pump and the surge protector my computer was attached to (fortunately it sacrificed it's life for my computer. )  I thought it worth it to subscribe to a service the electric company offers for $5 /month.  It's a surge protector on the meter that covers the whole house.  If it fails it will replace or repare whatever is messed up.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 10:18:48 am »
I, too, have been thinking of adding surge protection but on the line side of my main breaker.  Might be expensive but might me more expensive if not done......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 11:13:11 am »
$189 for the Leviton version - others are available. We're building a house in the mountains, and I'm going to include one of these.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

tubin

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 12:04:27 pm »
thanks for the info!

i always wondered of there was a line side surge protector that would cover the entire house...only drawback is when it blows itself, it is a lot more than just a couple of common surge protectors to replace.

definitely an option for the tub...flip the tub's breaker when it gets nasty outside and then let the surge box protect the tub when your not at home to unplug.

hmmm, worth rubbing my head over and contemplating...

thanks again!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 09:54:03 pm »
Chas,
You never fail to amaze me with your logical input! With all of the years I have in this business I never new of this piece of equipment. I will reccomend it from here out. Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 09:54:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42