What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: new tub... existing slab question  (Read 2968 times)

pmang

new tub... existing slab question
« on: August 27, 2015, 01:09:44 pm »
Hi all...

After extensive shopping of most brands to find the right spa for us, I've put a deposit down on a Hot Springs Aria. Now comes the tough part of site prep. In a nutshell, I have a room off my detached garage (not heated in MA) that used to be an outdoor kitchen. It's 9 by 19 with a tin roof, windows and a concrete slab. I've already had an electrician give me an estimate to get the needed power into the room (to code as well). I'm meeting with a contractor next week to come up with a plan for the room. A wall will be taken down to get the tub in and the room will be remodeled. First of all, I'm not certain of my existing concrete slab as I don't know it's thickness. I can see in the doorway that it's at least 3 inches thick (I'll try and dig down to see for certain). We are hoping to put a plywood sub floor over it and then cover with a sheet vinyl. Is this thinking a red flag? If need be, could I put a mesh reinforcement over the existing concrete and add another 2 inches? I've also been reading about spa pads. Maybe I should just put an 8x8 EZ Pad over my existing concrete for an even load distribution. This would seem to be a simple, low cost, peace of mind solution... Is it?

The other concern is with ventilation and wall/ceiling choice. There will be two large windows near the spa, a wall mounted exhaust fan and an outdoor ceiling fan in the room. Is that sufficient ventilation? The walls aren't insulated as this is really a 3 season room of a detached garage. It seams knotty pine (with a poly finish of course) would be the most cost effective choice. Is there any issues here to worry about?

All advice is appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

new tub... existing slab question
« on: August 27, 2015, 01:09:44 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: new tub... existing slab question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:30:12 pm »
Hi all...

After extensive shopping of most brands to find the right spa for us, I've put a deposit down on a Hot Springs Aria. Now comes the tough part of site prep. In a nutshell, I have a room off my detached garage (not heated in MA) that used to be an outdoor kitchen. It's 9 by 19 with a tin roof, windows and a concrete slab. I've already had an electrician give me an estimate to get the needed power into the room (to code as well). I'm meeting with a contractor next week to come up with a plan for the room. A wall will be taken down to get the tub in and the room will be remodeled. First of all, I'm not certain of my existing concrete slab as I don't know it's thickness. I can see in the doorway that it's at least 3 inches thick (I'll try and dig down to see for certain). We are hoping to put a plywood sub floor over it and then cover with a sheet vinyl. Is this thinking a red flag? If need be, could I put a mesh reinforcement over the existing concrete and add another 2 inches? I've also been reading about spa pads. Maybe I should just put an 8x8 EZ Pad over my existing concrete for an even load distribution. This would seem to be a simple, low cost, peace of mind solution... Is it?

The other concern is with ventilation and wall/ceiling choice. There will be two large windows near the spa, a wall mounted exhaust fan and an outdoor ceiling fan in the room. Is that sufficient ventilation? The walls aren't insulated as this is really a 3 season room of a detached garage. It seams knotty pine (with a poly finish of course) would be the most cost effective choice. Is there any issues here to worry about?

All advice is appreciated!

I think you are on to several different choices. Are you sure the slab won't hold it? Can you measure it? Is it all cracked up? How does it drain? Maybe installing the drain or thinking in that direction can solve the mystery of "if the existing slab will support a tub." Maybe there is enough slope for it to drain properly? Maybe a hole and trench needs to be cut into it?

The rest will be more than adequate. Sounds nice except no stars.
Retired

av8r

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:23:09 pm »

The rest will be more than adequate. Sounds nice except no stars.

Ya, I'm really looking forward to seeing stars, sunrise, snow, etc.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:23:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42