What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: noisy diverters  (Read 9356 times)

cparlf

noisy diverters
« on: July 09, 2004, 03:12:22 pm »
Anyone care to comment about diverter noise?  A reviewer on this site (not this message board, but the review section) claimed the Optima faults included a noisy diverter.  I noticed the same wet testing a HS, just wondering if it is a common affliction.  The noise dissapated when full on or off, was noticeable when turned half way.  Just how annying is this?  

Trying to decide which tub is keeping me up at night ! !

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

noisy diverters
« on: July 09, 2004, 03:12:22 pm »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
Re: noisy diverters
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 05:46:31 pm »
When shopping we had this problem.  The Optima's jets are more powerful than the hot springs (arguably too powerful) and, thus, their diverters were noisier.

Part of the problem is that the tops of the diverters are hollow and allow echoing.  Some people fill the tops of their diverter-valve handles with silicon to muffle the sound with some success.

I wouldn't let it affect my decision.  When the jets are on most tubs make enough noise mask it.  On my hotspring the diverter valve handles are not next to your head in any seat (I have the grandee and love it).  Not sure if this is also true on the optima.  It might be an issue if your head is 5" from the valve.  THen again, it may not! 8)

_Ed

OnMedic

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 08:14:49 pm »
It sounds like this is the same on all tubs. I noticed it on my Beachcomber 740LE as well. I was wondering about it, but it didn't bug me anough to post here! Thanks for shedding light on the matter and letting us conclude that this is a universal (minor) annoyance in the tub industry.

onMedic

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 07:16:12 am »
I know in our showroom people tend to end up leaving the diverters in the mid position (silent) because the jets are much more comfortable that way.

I do the same at home. But when I want full pressure I put the diverter where I need it, and the noise is background to a deep massage - sort of fades away as the jets do their job.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 11:28:52 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 09:10:45 am »
When we were wet testing, our Marquis dealer told us that their diverters are 2 to 3 times a deep as most and that significantly cut down on the noise.  Didn't notice the noice much on the Reward or Euphoria.  When we tested the Sundance I did notice the noise so there must have been something to what she said.  We ended up with the Optima anyway to the diveter noise was a non-issue in our decision making...
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Maverick

7: noisy diverters
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 11:44:44 am »
I would like some education on need for the typical diverter systems used on so many spa brands.

My Catalina Spa does have 2 diverter valves, one  for the whirlpool jet on the primary pump and the other on the secondary pump for the geyser jet. Both of these are very large jets with massive water flow.

In the Catalina, all the regular jets are very powerful with the above named biggy jets valved off. And each jet in every seat is adjustable such that one can increase or decrease pressure on alternative portions of the anatomy. With either or both of the biggy jets on, turning on the air blower boosts the intensity of the regular jets to almost that experienced with the biggies off.

What I don't understand is why so many of the other brand spas need diverter valves for the ordinary jets.

When we wet tested the D1 Chairman II, for example, The salesman had to set the diverters to the mid position just for us to get nearly adequate pressure in every seat. In the Marquis wet tests, having to get up and adjust the diverters from zone to zone drove us out the door.

The Hot Spring testing was the worst of all for me, but my wife did like the moto massage seat.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 04:39:39 pm »
In my humble opinion it's because they don't have enough pump pessure to run all the jets at the same time.

The problem with diveters is, not all the seats can power up at the same time. This is done because manufacturers feel they need to put all these jets in a spa to make it sell. Then they don't put in big enough  pumps in to handle the job.

Some spas have the right horse power pumps and still use diverters to have the ability to blow you out of the seats.

I don't think it's theraputic to fight to stay in a seat.

This is the first year Coleman has put a diveter in their spas. It's plumbed between the waterfall and the super cyclone foot jet. I don't think it's noisy but have nothing to compare it with.

Just my two cents worth!

Spahappy ; ;)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 08:19:41 am »
If the noise of the diverter bother you, just pull off the knob.  The noise is much lower when you do that.
At least in our tub it is.
Brewman  
Brewman

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 09:03:53 am »
Prior to purchasing we noticed the noise from the diverter valves. Talked about this with the dealer. It was noticeable but not offensive. All of the tub that we triend had some various noises be it from the motors, jets or diverter valves.

Our ealer told us that Sundance was coming out this year with a new diverter valve that cut down on the noise. He was unsure if the diverter valves in our Optima would have the new system or not. If it did great and if not he would replace them later this summer when they were made available. Turns out that we got the old system, and he has offered to replace them some time  in August.  I have not heard the new valve so if others here can tell me something about it I would appreciate it prior to telling my dealer to go ahead or not.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 12:04:58 pm »
I have filled the hollow sections of the diverters (Optima) with silicone with good results.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 12:48:05 pm »
Ever turn a faucet to a certain point and the pipes start screaming?   I've noticed on my diverters that if you put them in a specific spot they are noisier. (some kind of resonance phenomena I belive)  If I move it just slightly one way or another the noise all but disappears and I still get the desired mix I was looking for.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 01:03:11 pm »
I have filled the hollow sections of the diverters (Optima) with silicone with good results.

Tony, is that the little square hole if I pull the cap off? or something else?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 02:03:18 pm »
Don't fill the little square hole, that's what holds the knob onto the valve.
I have not done this, but I believe it's the area underside the knob, but not inside the square hole.  
I've also had luck just adjusting the valve a hair one way or the other, like wmccall mentioned.
Brewman
Brewman

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 10:48:57 pm »
doodoo -

Did the dealer tell you how you can tell if your Sundance spa has the new or old diverter system?

Thanks

tubin

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2004, 11:25:42 pm »
also i found they get less noisy once you have run all the air out of the lines.

my caldera was noisy and chugged and gurgled for the first couple of uses and finally after a while, the noise went away.

it all has to do with flow when the valves are blocking water and if air gets in, it is even more noisy.  i don't even notice mine now.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2004, 11:25:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42