What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Member Conisdering Multiple Brands  (Read 5490 times)

nick3941sd

New Member Conisdering Multiple Brands
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:23:22 pm »
Hello everyone I am new to this community but not new to forums in general. I am a member on many forums such as vehicles, motorcycles, PWC etc. But to get to the point why I'm here, obviously I am in the market for a hot tub. I have multiple potential hot tubs in mind just seeing what advice and opinions are out there to aid in the decision.

So how I began my search was right here on my computer seeing what pool/spa dealers were in my area and what brands they carry. The first tub I looked at was the Nordic Encore SE. I didn't hate the tub but was not impressed. The jets were very weak. The other store I stopped by carried Innova Spa which I had my decision made within my first few steps through the door.

Next I came across the TherrmoSpas website and submitted my info for a price quote which came with an in home consultation. The model selected during the visit was the Park Ave Gold. While the visit was very informative and the salesman was nice, it was like buying a car (he's selling me a Ford and telling me how much Chevy is garbage). He listed countless examples why TS is better and what they have over the competition. Things such as:
-Acrylic is the only way to go, plastic is porous and will crack
-The fiberglass tremendously increases strength and durability
-TS ThermoBoard cabinets are reversible and able to be swapped. Wooden cabinets are prone to rot and mold
-He was very much against foam insulated spas. Stated that there's is insulated so well that if the heater were to die in winter the water would not freeze if kept circulating
-Stated wood framing reduces vibration and retains heat better than steel
-Easier to service compared to competition
-Titanium heater vs SS
-TS pumps are larger than the competition and feature a "Viton" seal that is less prone to failure
-Larger diameter piping that uses "Y's" vs "T's" to keep flow rate
-Warm air bubbler, auto line clean out, auto circulation, overheat and freeze warning, control valves, interchangeable jets.
-Cover holds heat best and can withstand 550lbs
-Warranty exceeds all completion. Service calls completed in 1-3days. Parts next day air if unavailable.

So my question, is TS all that is hyped up to be or is this smoke and mirrors? He did say that they are more expensive than the competition but the results are worth the premium price. Are all his points valid and accurate? I saw reviews prior to its buyout which were quite negative, but TS BBB rating is now an A+

Other hot tubs I am looking at this week are:
Revolution Spas - Pandora
Jacuzzi - J-335
Hot Spring - Relay, Tempo and Limelight Flair
Sundance - 780 Certa

I'm open all recommendations and welcome all opinions.
Some things I am looking for in a tub is a:
-4-5 person with 1 lounge
-Better than average energy efficiency
-Jets that have power behind them
-Durability and backed warranty
-And I am a sucker for the lighting and waterfalls.

I live in NY and do intend on using the tub during the winter months. Whats a typical electric bill increase for winter use. Also should foam insulated spas be strictly avoided like TS stated?

Sorry for writing a book on here but they are a big investment and want to be as sure as possible I make the right decision in the end.

Hot Tub Forum

New Member Conisdering Multiple Brands
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:23:22 pm »

nick3941sd

Re: New Member Conisdering Multiple Brands
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 08:58:03 pm »
Also the price quoted on the Park Ave is 12,623. That is with steps, cover (no lift), tax, ozonator and delivery.

This price is after $2,600 in incentives. They requested a refundable deposit to be placed on hold to guarantee this price for two weeks.

Also the other question I have is, in August our county fair brings and multiple pool/spa distributors offer some pretty good sales, but you are left to take just what is in stock. Would I be best to hold off until I see the sales?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 06:32:06 am »
Also should foam insulated spas be strictly avoided like TS stated?

The top manufacturers in the world use foam to insulate their tubs. They sell more tubs than anyone. So they haven't been avoided by buyers so far. And their are a lot of them out there.

I guess if you sell a tub with no insulation like TS you would say this. Cost to operate, with no insulation like TS, a lot.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:18:14 am »
I'd suggest you keep looking at other brands like Caldera, D1, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi and Sundance. If you were to ask for people's favorite brands you'll typically see those I just mentioned along with Arctic, Artesian, Bullfrog and Marquis as well. What I doubt you'll ever see included on a favorite list is Thermo, they tend to go on a different list  ;).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

nick3941sd

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 12:28:45 pm »
I'd suggest you keep looking at other brands like Caldera, D1, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi and Sundance. If you were to ask for people's favorite brands you'll typically see those I just mentioned along with Arctic, Artesian, Bullfrog and Marquis as well. What I doubt you'll ever see included on a favorite list is Thermo, they tend to go on a different list  ;).
Also should foam insulated spas be strictly avoided like TS stated?

The top manufacturers in the world use foam to insulate their tubs. They sell more tubs than anyone. So they haven't been avoided by buyers so far. And their are a lot of them out there.

I guess if you sell a tub with no insulation like TS you would say this. Cost to operate, with no insulation like TS, a lot.

Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to look at all those listed tubs over the next few weeks and schedule some wet tests for my top choices. I'll probably hold out until the fair to see what they have to offer.

Sam

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 02:31:58 pm »
Yeah, Thermospas are never mentioned in the company of top tier, reputable brands.  They are however a fantastic marketing company.  And just so you know, most of those selling points are found on every other spa.  They are nothing special really. 

The responses given by spatech and tmann are spot on.  Also, I recommend finding a company with a local store and local service.  Thermospas contracts out locally with the lowest bidder for service and delivery.  They are not in-house employees.  While this may not sound like a big deal, I assure you that in-house delivery and service are very important, imo.  You won't realize it until the first time you have a problem.  They will tell you that they have it covered, but countless internet reviews show that is not always the case. 

Also, make sure that you at least sit in the spa dry, but wet test if you can.  What works for you may be different than what a salesman is selling you. 

Good luck!

castletonia

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 11:50:31 pm »
Since you are in New York, I would also consider Saratoga Spas as they are made in Latham, NY.  The company I work for sold them for over 10 years and we had really good luck with them.  To this day, Saratoga is probably the best company I have ever dealt with in terms of customer service.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 07:29:48 am »
Welcome to the forum.  My personal experience with Thermospas is several years old.  If you end up contacting them, let us know how it goes. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ORDucks

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 02:13:58 am »
Did you happen to get a phone call a couple days after the thermospa consultation that they had a customer cancel and can give you an even better deal? Lol. 

I'd stick with hotspring, jacuzzi, caldera, bullfrog  in no particular order.  Companies with great products, strong warranties that you'll probably never use. 

nick3941sd

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 07:47:19 pm »
Did you happen to get a phone call a couple days after the thermospa consultation that they had a customer cancel and can give you an even better deal? Lol. 

I'd stick with hotspring, jacuzzi, caldera, bullfrog  in no particular order.  Companies with great products, strong warranties that you'll probably never use.

Haha not yet. I did get a follow up text from the salesman saying my paperwork is ready for submission. After the meeting he stated he would follow up with me in two weeks.

But I did go look at the Jacuzzi J-335 and Sundance 780 Certa. Both salesman stated that sales are currently ongoing. Both come with delivery, steps, cover with lift and chemicals. Jacuzzi was 7399 and Sundance was 9400 both out the door. I do like the Jacuzzi more but still debating on making the purchase.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 07:47:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42