What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: More Wet Tests = More Questions... Ugh!  (Read 10770 times)

jujubee

Re: More Wet Tests = More Questions... Ugh!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 07:28:17 am »

Are you saying the distant dealer told you that your local guy would service it?

The local dealer can turn you away for service and for good reason. Whoever sells it is responsible for servicing it. Ask that far away dealer how much he will charge you for servicing the tub after the sale because there will almost certainly be a trip charge for that distance (and he may not be out too quickly).

Really...  So if I buy a car at one Chevy dealer, another dealer might not service it?  That suggests that Caldera is not a reputable company.  If ANY dealer wouldn't service one of their tubs then they should not be authorized to sell them.  What if I moved up from another state and needed service?  If this is indeed true, then I will not purchase from Caldera.

Shame on one dealer charging SOOO much more for the same tub.  If he is not willing to work with me on price (almost $2000 difference) then his loss.  I cannot turn down that kind of savings.  I won't nickel and dime him for sure, but that is NOT chump change. 

Why would his price be so inflated?  When I asked him, he said that there is more than just the cost of the product built into his pricing like service and support.  WHAT!  I am paying for service in advance?  What if I never need it, do I get that money back. 

I just find this ridiculous.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 07:28:17 am »

gizmodo

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 03:01:48 pm »
Dealers have costs involved with servicing a tub under warranty.  This is the same thing with cars.  The difference is you bring your car to the dealership, but with a tub they have to get someone out there.  That part costs money.  Since you didn't buy the tub from them they could potentially lose money on the service call.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 04:34:22 pm »

Are you saying the distant dealer told you that your local guy would service it?

The local dealer can turn you away for service and for good reason. Whoever sells it is responsible for servicing it. Ask that far away dealer how much he will charge you for servicing the tub after the sale because there will almost certainly be a trip charge for that distance (and he may not be out too quickly).

Really...  So if I buy a car at one Chevy dealer, another dealer might not service it?  That suggests that Caldera is not a reputable company.  If ANY dealer wouldn't service one of their tubs then they should not be authorized to sell them.  What if I moved up from another state and needed service?  If this is indeed true, then I will not purchase from Caldera.

Shame on one dealer charging SOOO much more for the same tub.  If he is not willing to work with me on price (almost $2000 difference) then his loss.  I cannot turn down that kind of savings.  I won't nickel and dime him for sure, but that is NOT chump change. 

Why would his price be so inflated?  When I asked him, he said that there is more than just the cost of the product built into his pricing like service and support.  WHAT!  I am paying for service in advance?  What if I never need it, do I get that money back. 

I will service anything.  You pay my rates then get reimbursed from manufacturer under warranty.  The manufacturer pays very little for warranty work and it's usually a losing proposition.  I carry Marquis and thankfully there isn't much warranty work that has to be done

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 04:37:42 pm »

Dealers are only "required" to service the spas they sell. This is NOT unique to Caldera, but is true with most every brand of spa out there (there are exceptions, one of which is if you move and take the spa with you...a very rare occurrence). Over the years, in an effort to lower prices, manufacturers have passed on a good part of the warranty costs to the dealers (as an example, where manufacturers used to pay $100 for a warranty call, they now pay only $40). Dealers then have the "option" of making this up in their retail price. Dealers are not going to lose money. How long do you think they'd stay in business, and be able to service your spa, if they did? They also probably own a home, have a car or two, have kids that want to go to collage ect. HEY! Lets talk about your lifestyle, income, expenses, who you work for, how much you make, and how much your employer charges in order to pay you ;-)

Why would his price be so inflated?  When I asked him, he said that there is more than just the cost of the product built into his pricing like service and support.  WHAT! 

Different overhead costs, different sales volume. Overhead for servicing is probably a lot higher than you might imagine. Everything from vehicle costs (including gas, oil, tires, insurance, labor costs, more insurance, cost of inventory, more more more more) I've yet to come across more than one dealer that's a member of the Lear Jet Club (but his money didn't come from selling spas ;-).

[/quote]
I am paying for service in advance?  What if I never need it, do I get that money back. 
[/quote]

What if you unfortunately need more than what you paid for? Here's a thought...offer to buy the spa with absolutely no warrant and be willing to pay full price on any needed repairs. You might get a much lower price, and the risk of failure would pass over to you.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 04:38:23 pm »

You're making a few assumptions that are off base.

1) I think you'll find that to be an industry thing, not a Caldera thing. Call a different dealer brand and ask them if you buy from another dealer of their brand 100 miles away can you count on them for local warranty service.

2) Warranty coverage is NEVER "free", for any product made whether its spas, phones, cars, chainsaws... the cost of the warranty service is built into the spa up front but its always in there. If that other dealer thinks he'll never have to come out he can lower his price to you because unlike cars you're not driving the spa onto their lot, they have to come to you. No, you don't get your money back if you never end up needing the warranty service. Everyone pays for it and in the end those that don't use it balance out those who end up using it. If my car goes beyond the 36,000 mile/3 year warranty period I can't go to Chevy and say "it never had a problem so please refund me whatever part of the price was the warranty cost".

3) The manufacturer will expect the seller to service you. If you moved from another state and brought your spa with you then that's a separate issue and the manufacturer will have the local dealer service it for you but if you go outside your area for a better deal that far away dealer is going to be the one expected to service you. Did he give you a lower price and then claim the local guy would service you? If so ask that remote dealer how much the spa will be if you expect him to handle the warranty work.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 04:38:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42