What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Froze...Help!  (Read 3709 times)

Columbus Eagle

Hot Tub Froze...Help!
« on: May 02, 2015, 03:55:53 pm »
I'm new to this forum, but I'm praying that someone can help me.  Somehow my breaker tripped this winter and my hot tub froze.  I was checking it out today and the only damage I noticed was that the No Fault 6000 Heater pipe came out at the fitting(black plastic piece where the sensors are).  When I put it back in it still leaks.  Is there anything I can do besides replacing the entire heater?  I don't see any cracks in the heater or the fitting. How does the heater pipe usually attach to the black plastic fitting (glue?)? The heater pipe has a "c" shaped cut out where it connects to the black plastic fitting. I would hate to pay for someone to replace the heater only to find that there are other leaks or problems due to the frozen pipes.  This is an old Hot Springs Prodigy hot tub that was here when we bought the house so if there are several problems I may just buy a new hot tub.  I would like to tape or glue it just to see if the rest of the hot tub is okay, but I don't want to start a fire and burn the deck down. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
-Thanks
  Matt

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Froze...Help!
« on: May 02, 2015, 03:55:53 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Hot Tub Froze...Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 05:10:42 pm »
picture is worth a thousand words in this scenario...to avoid wasting too much time I would either A. "rig" your current heater with clamps and/or 2 part marine epoxy (post a pic if you want assistance on which item(s) you'll need) or B. purchase some 3/4" tubing and fittings to temporarily bypass the heater.....your goal is to fill/power up the tub to see if any leaks occur under pressure (jet pump running) to see if its worth the cost of a new heater assembly (I'm in sales so don't quote me but I don't believe there is any factory replaceable parts on that heater so you'll have to replace the entire unit)

Kev B

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:53:36 am »
 Bypass the heater, re-fill and pray that no manifolds cracked inside the tub foam. The entire heater will need replaced but that is the least of your worries if you have to tear into the siding and dig through this fully foamed tub.

Columbus Eagle

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:43:48 pm »
No leaks, but the heater, circ pump and wet end of the jet pump are bad.  With labor, it will cost me close to $1,000 to fix.  I'm either going to try to fix it myself (approximately $600) or just break down and buy a new hot tub. It's 18 years old and it has a crack in the outside shell that is now extended over the top of the tub.  I don't want to sink $8k this summer, but I think it will pay off in the long run.  Let me know you think I'm totally off base with my approach. I don't have a lot of experience with hot tubs.
-Thanks!!

Kev B

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 10:44:11 am »
 Drill a small hole on the very front edge of the crack going into the tub to try to stop it from extending further. I would do the repair, and when ready to get another tub, try to sell it to recover the costs of the repair and maybe some profit. (If you are sure the internal plumbing is good) Go to backyardplus.com and enter the serial number of your tub to get the proper parts needed.

Columbus Eagle

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 12:20:14 am »
Dumb Question: Where do I find the serial #?  The only things written in the owners manual is the Spa Model "Prodigy" and "220V" for the electrics. I was trying to get parts online, but it's a little confusing as there are a lot of options.  :o
-Thanks again!!

Kev B

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 12:39:21 pm »
 I was on a repair for a prodigy yesterday and found it on the door on a white tag stapled..Or the newer ones are on removable stickers....the serial number on this particular tub was H1B1095

Columbus Eagle

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 10:39:45 pm »
Kev B,
Thanks so much for the information and the assistance! I've played around with the tub tub enough over the past month that I think I should be able to just order and replace the parts myself. This way I should be able to get several more years out of my hot tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 10:39:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42