What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Time Spa Buyer...Marquis vs Coast  (Read 11670 times)

Omiacha

First Time Spa Buyer...Marquis vs Coast
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:21:38 pm »
Hello I am looking to purchase my first spa and I have been scouring the internet trying to get as much knowledge as I can. I have not been able to find a lot of answers so far. How would you guys compare the Marquis and Coast spa brands? I have looked at many companies and these two seem to interest me the most. I looked at Hot Springs spas and they seemed nice but just a bit overpriced. Caldera, jacuzzi, and some others just seemed lacking in technology and innovation (please correct me if I am wrong). They just seemed pretty plain jane and cheap. For example the Jacuzzi dealer was pretty disappointing. All she kept telling me basically was how Jacuzzi was the first and oldest brand... I was like thats great but it doesnt look like its changed from the hot tub my parents had 20 years ago. I asked about an options list and the lady said o you can get a radio...was very disappointed and felt like they were cheap and lacking in technology. The 2 brands I liked have multiple options of water filtration and cleansers and just on and on and on of all the different options you can get.

Things I am looking for in my spa are the best in Jet technology and high number of jets. I want the best massage from the highest quality jets (I do not want to be ichy after spending 30 minutes in my spa). I want one lounger, after that I just want it to hold about 5 people so I can have friends over and entertain in it. I am also wanting innovation...I dont want a hottub thats still using the same antiquated technology of 15 or 20 years ago like some of these brands seem to be doing. I like being able to choose lots of options. My main desire is the best in relaxation and massages. However, looks and ambiance are factors as well(i like the LED lights they add a nice touch for enjoying at night).

Marquis was the first spa I fell in love with at a local dealer. They are beautiful, seem high tech, and high quality. Unfortunately the one I fell in love with the Epic model is a bit above my price range that I wanted. It starts at about $12k and I wanted my budget to be around $10k.

Coast spas were the first I fell in love with on the internet. They look like they have the latest and greatest technology above and beyond most other spas. Their innovation, design, and styling are also impressive. Unfortunately there is only one dealer in my entire state and that dealer did not have a single model on his floor when I went to take a look at them. Of course he can order whatever I want but I was really frustrated because if I am going to spend $10k I want to see what I am buying first. $10k is a lot of money for me to buy something sight unseen. Still as I said the coast spas seem beautiful and luxurious (atleast from their website).

A final question I have is does anyone know about the Microsilk technology? Both of these brands offer it and while it may be all smoke and mirrors I am amazed by its therapeutic potential/claims. The problem I have, with both brands, is if you are to get the Microsilk added on to one of their spas you take a big hit in Jet count. You lose as many as 18 jets which seems like a lot to lose. So I am curious if anyone knows anything about it and if its worth it. I would really like to have the feature but I am not sure its worth losing so many jets.

I appreciate any information you guys can provide. I am open to any and all suggestions. I am definitely a newbie in this area but I am trying to learn and trying to get the best spa for my budget. thank you.

Hot Tub Forum

First Time Spa Buyer...Marquis vs Coast
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:21:38 pm »

MarKee

Re: First Time Spa Buyer...Marquis vs Coast
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:13:47 pm »
You're looking at some good brands.  I think most people would consider Marquis to be the premium brand between those 2 options.  I would be worried about a dealer that carries very few or no floor models, that tells me that they aren't seriously in the business and may not be around a few years from now if you need them for service (or they may have switched to another brand of spas).

The Epic is an awesome spa for therapy, and is built very, very well.  You can't go wrong with Marquis, it's a great company, the spas are 100% made in Oregon and the company is Employee Owned.

When you add MicroSilk to a Marquis, it does not take away any jets.  You will have the same amount of jets in the Epic (65) with or without MicroSilk.  Coast might do it differently.

Where are you located at?

Omiacha

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:42:39 pm »
Thanks for the info. You may be right about the dealer switching to a different brand. I had gone to another dealer for the Marquis spas and only went to this particular dealer because they listed Coast as one of their spas they carry. Once I got there they only had Marquis spas which their website did not even list. So you may be exactly right they may be switching brands. They were a small dealer and I wasnt impressed but sadly they are the only Coast spa dealer in Arkansas and I have not even been able to find one in a neighboring state (I live in NW Arkansas I checked in neighboring Tulsa and Missouri to no avail). The Coast spa dealer gave me some quotes on different models but as I said I do not know that I can bring my self to buy something that I have not even seen or at least seen a similar model. I may have to suck it up and try and increase my budget to get the Marquis Epic...but that price tag is a tough pill to swallow at a starting price of $12k for a basic one haha.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:45:31 pm »
Hello I am looking to purchase my first spa and I have been scouring the internet trying to get as much knowledge as I can. I have not been able to find a lot of answers so far. How would you guys compare the Marquis and Coast spa brands? I have looked at many companies and these two seem to interest me the most. I looked at Hot Springs spas and they seemed nice but just a bit overpriced. Caldera, jacuzzi, and some others just seemed lacking in technology and innovation (please correct me if I am wrong). They just seemed pretty plain jane and cheap. For example the Jacuzzi dealer was pretty disappointing. All she kept telling me basically was how Jacuzzi was the first and oldest brand... I was like thats great but it doesnt look like its changed from the hot tub my parents had 20 years ago. I asked about an options list and the lady said o you can get a radio...was very disappointed and felt like they were cheap and lacking in technology. The 2 brands I liked have multiple options of water filtration and cleansers and just on and on and on of all the different options you can get.

Things I am looking for in my spa are the best in Jet technology and high number of jets. I want the best massage from the highest quality jets (I do not want to be ichy after spending 30 minutes in my spa). I want one lounger, after that I just want it to hold about 5 people so I can have friends over and entertain in it. I am also wanting innovation...I dont want a hottub thats still using the same antiquated technology of 15 or 20 years ago like some of these brands seem to be doing. I like being able to choose lots of options. My main desire is the best in relaxation and massages. However, looks and ambiance are factors as well(i like the LED lights they add a nice touch for enjoying at night).

Marquis was the first spa I fell in love with at a local dealer. They are beautiful, seem high tech, and high quality. Unfortunately the one I fell in love with the Epic model is a bit above my price range that I wanted. It starts at about $12k and I wanted my budget to be around $10k.

Coast spas were the first I fell in love with on the internet. They look like they have the latest and greatest technology above and beyond most other spas. Their innovation, design, and styling are also impressive. Unfortunately there is only one dealer in my entire state and that dealer did not have a single model on his floor when I went to take a look at them. Of course he can order whatever I want but I was really frustrated because if I am going to spend $10k I want to see what I am buying first. $10k is a lot of money for me to buy something sight unseen. Still as I said the coast spas seem beautiful and luxurious (atleast from their website).

A final question I have is does anyone know about the Microsilk technology? Both of these brands offer it and while it may be all smoke and mirrors I am amazed by its therapeutic potential/claims. The problem I have, with both brands, is if you are to get the Microsilk added on to one of their spas you take a big hit in Jet count. You lose as many as 18 jets which seems like a lot to lose. So I am curious if anyone knows anything about it and if its worth it. I would really like to have the feature but I am not sure its worth losing so many jets.

I appreciate any information you guys can provide. I am open to any and all suggestions. I am definitely a newbie in this area but I am trying to learn and trying to get the best spa for my budget. thank you.

1) "Caldera, jacuzzi, and some others just seemed lacking in technology and innovation (please correct me if I am wrong). They just seemed pretty plain jane and cheap"

It sounds like you may be mixing up "bling" and technology because Caldera and Jacuzzi are good brands but to each his own so if it doesn't catch your eye...

2) "Unfortunately there is only one dealer in my entire state and that dealer did not have a single model on his floor when I went to take a look at them."

That would make me uncomfortable. It sounds like he's a dealer only on paper.

3) "A final question I have is does anyone know about the Microsilk technology? Both of these brands offer it and while it may be all smoke and mirrors I am amazed by its therapeutic potential/claims. "

Ignore this kind of thing, its just a profitable add-on that you don't need. Get he best spa and use a sanitizer and you'll save money and get the spa you want with properly treated water.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:09:38 pm »
Omiacha:  That's not a bad price on the Epic Signature.  Perhaps you can ask the dealer if they will lower the price on a floor model or if you paid cash vs. running a credit card or financing.  Tell them what you're hoping to spend and hopefully they can work out something to get closer to your budget.  If you're trying to keep the price down, don't get the MicroSilk because that is going to add approximately $2000.

Spatech: The MicroSilk system does actually work, I was a bit skeptical when we first got it, but I was pleasantly surprised after trying it out on one of our floor models.  All of the customers I have spoken to that have purchased it seem to love it.  If it's implemented properly in to the tub, it's a pretty cool technology.  It isn't cheap though.

Omiacha

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:46:21 pm »
O i certainly did not mean to sound negative to either of those brands. I simply didnt see/feel like they were as good. I saw nothing to suggest otherwise. Perhaps the salesperson I dealt with just wasnt very good at selling the brands. I have not actually wet tested any tub. The poor Jacuzzi lady just kept telling me how great of a brand jacuzzi is and how it was the first and on and on. Yet she wasnt really making a strong point for WHY it was so great or what set it apart from other spas. As I said in my original post I am ignorant when it comes to this because I have never owned one. I am trying to get as much information as I can. I appreciate any and all information people can give me.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 04:28:27 pm »
Actually, Jacuzzi was the SECOND brand of portable spa to be sold.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 04:36:08 pm »
O i certainly did not mean to sound negative to either of those brands. I simply didnt see/feel like they were as good. I saw nothing to suggest otherwise. Perhaps the salesperson I dealt with just wasnt very good at selling the brands. I have not actually wet tested any tub. The poor Jacuzzi lady just kept telling me how great of a brand jacuzzi is and how it was the first and on and on. Yet she wasnt really making a strong point for WHY it was so great or what set it apart from other spas. As I said in my original post I am ignorant when it comes to this because I have never owned one. I am trying to get as much information as I can. I appreciate any and all information people can give me.

No need to defend what you like. A lot of people would say they think Caldera and Jacuzzi are better options than Coast and Marquis but that's because everyone has their own opinion. All you should care about is whether there is something about the choices you like that you are missing but they're really all viable brands that you've discussed. If a salesperson seems like they're blowing sunshine then I don't blame you for backing off (and Jacuzzi wasn't first BTW) and if another is selling a brand but has nothing on their floor then that's another reason to hesitate.

As far as the Microsilk, I'll keep my skepticism to a minimum (maybe it works fine) but if it comes at a high cost then that's nothing to ignore when all you need is a tried and true sanitizer. It still sounds like they're selling rustproofing on a new car.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 04:44:15 pm »

No need to defend what you like. A lot of people would say they think Caldera and Jacuzzi are better options than Coast and Marquis but that's because everyone has their own opinion. All you should care about is whether there is something about the choices you like that you are missing but they're really all viable brands that you've discussed. If a salesperson seems like they're blowing sunshine then I don't blame you for backing off (and Jacuzzi wasn't first BTW) and if another is selling a brand but has nothing on their floor then that's another reason to hesitate.

As far as the Microsilk, I'll keep my skepticism to a minimum (maybe it works fine) but if it comes at a high cost then that's nothing to ignore when all you need is a tried and true sanitizer. It still sounds like they're selling rustproofing on a new car.
[/quo

Microsilk is not a sanitizer.  Read up on it a little.  I was also skeptical on it but I have sold it on quite a few and my customers seem to really like it.  You still need to use all the same chemicals as it's not a chemical system at all

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 05:17:46 pm »

Microsilk is not a sanitizer.  Read up on it a little.  I was also skeptical on it but I have sold it on quite a few and my customers seem to really like it.  You still need to use all the same chemicals as it's not a chemical system at all

If you guys say you've seen it work then I'll go along with that but what is it exactly and what is the yearly cost vs a standard sanitizer which is cheap, simple and works very well?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:21:09 pm by Spatech_tuo »

Omiacha

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 05:47:19 pm »
I obviously do not know much but I dont believe it has anything to do with sanitizing. It supposedly oxygenates the water with tiny air bubbles that is supposed to be very therapeutic and good for your skin by promoting collagen or something like that. They make it sound amazing but, I always am skeptical about things like that and with about a $1500 price tag to be added as an option it isnt cheap but I am considering it. I have seen it on some of the in store models...when it is turned on it makes the water turn a milky cloudy color. If it does all the things they claim or even part of them it is pretty amazing and worth the money. However, I take everything with a grain of salt and try and do my own research hence the reason I am on this forum.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 06:58:38 pm »
I obviously do not know much but I dont believe it has anything to do with sanitizing. It supposedly oxygenates the water with tiny air bubbles that is supposed to be very therapeutic and good for your skin by promoting collagen or something like that. They make it sound amazing but, I always am skeptical about things like that and with about a $1500 price tag to be added as an option it isnt cheap but I am considering it. I have seen it on some of the in store models...when it is turned on it makes the water turn a milky cloudy color. If it does all the things they claim or even part of them it is pretty amazing and worth the money. However, I take everything with a grain of salt and try and do my own research hence the reason I am on this forum.

That's a good expanation for it.  It's one of those things that isn't for everybody but people that have excama it works great.  It isn't something new as it has been around for a very long time.  It is fairly new to hot tubs.  Here is a great rundown of it from the creator's of it. 
http://www.jasoninternational.com/wellness/microsilkfundamentals.aspx

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 06:59:57 pm »

If you guys say you've seen it work then I'll go along with that but what is it exactly and what is the yearly cost vs a standard sanitizer which is cheap, simple and works very well?

You still you use the same sanitizer as it has absolutely nothing to do with chemicals.  Check out the link I posted above

castletonia

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 09:38:35 pm »
I sold Coast from 2009 -2011 and have exclusively sold Marquis since last year.  I think both are a quality product, though Marquis is the more well known brand and considered to have a much better reputation within the industry.  The Coast's I have out in the field, which were primarily the Radiance Curve models have performed well with little to no issues whatsoever.  They had a lot of power, the 24" waterfall was cool, and the filtration system worked well.  The things I didn't like with Coast were getting parts from Canada (higher shipping cost + longer lead times), their support was ok at best and got worse after their lead tech left, and they basically screwed us on freight. 

Marquis has been great.  They build a quality product, the HOT zone therapy in the Signature line is really unique, customer support has possibly been the best I have dealt with during my 14 years in the industry, and their reputation is top notch.  i personally feel Marquis is a more theraputic hot tub than Coast due to the HOT zones, the jet placement, zone controls, and shell designs.

Microsilk is a unique feature.  I personally like it and my wife noticed an improvement in her skin after we had used one at the store everyday for a week.  Microsilk is a pricey feature and one that is probably unneccesary unless you actually need it.  And with Marquis, you don't sacrifice anything on the Epic, Euphoria, or Spirit when adding it.

Omiacha

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 11:45:29 pm »
Castletonia- thank you I greatly appreciate your insight and information. I was hoping someone might could shed some light on the 2 companies that has sold both brands. I think everything is pointing toward the Marquis. I really like the Marquis dealer they seem to be a good dealer plus sounds like they are a better brand. I may end up going with them just the little problem of money haha but we will see!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 11:45:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42