What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: J-385 first tub on the way... shopping was not as fun as i had hoped  (Read 5136 times)

mrhammy

Hi!
I just finished shopping and have purchased a Jacuzzi J-385. It will be a month until all the site work is done and the concrete has had time to set, I am very excited!

I did a lot of online research and see that one brand vs another  quickly becomes a religious argument but finding prices is next to impossible. I also found that Tub salesmen in general fit the used car salesman stereotype, both online and in person. In the end we picked our dealer based on the salesman, he was the one out of the 3 places we went that we felt was  honest and not pushy.  We did not wet tests but were offered them. Dry test to make sure the comfort of the seats was fine for me.

Did I get a good deal? I don't know but the next person researching will see that I paid $10200 +tax for my J-385, in stock, cash, with lifter cover chems and stairs.  They will also deliver set up, fill and give a how to at our home.

I'm sure i will be back to ask questions and review my new toy.

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: J-385 first tub on the way... shopping was not as fun as i had hoped
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 12:08:12 pm »
Hi!
I just finished shopping and have purchased a Jacuzzi J-385. It will be a month until all the site work is done and the concrete has had time to set, I am very excited!

I did a lot of online research and see that one brand vs another  quickly becomes a religious argument but finding prices is next to impossible. I also found that Tub salesmen in general fit the used car salesman stereotype, both online and in person. In the end we picked our dealer based on the salesman, he was the one out of the 3 places we went that we felt was  honest and not pushy.  We did not wet tests but were offered them. Dry test to make sure the comfort of the seats was fine for me.

Did I get a good deal? I don't know but the next person researching will see that I paid $10200 +tax for my J-385, in stock, cash, with lifter cover chems and stairs.  They will also deliver set up, fill and give a how to at our home.

I'm sure i will be back to ask questions and review my new toy.

You did good on the price.   

dporter22

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:18:56 pm »
I had the same problem trying to get accurate info from the various dealers.  They all said their brand was the best in the world, their features were exclusive, their brand had the highest ratings, blah, blah, blah.  After a while I actually gave up and decided it was all too much of a hassle, then only recently decided to try again and ended up purchasing one that made the most sense to me regardless of what the dealers said.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:08:53 pm »
Congrats on your purchase......All dealers are going to say there brand is the best and there tubs have exclusives that others don't. They aren't lying all dealers will feel that way and most tubs have something that no others have. Hot springs has no bypass filtration, bullfrog has jet packs, marquis has tri zone and hot seats. It's up to the consumer to figure what's best for them. Generally if you buy a hot spring, marquis, d-1, jacuzzi, sundance or bullfrog you are getting the best of the best tubs out there. I'm sure there are a few brands that I'm missing but you get the point.

Quickbeam

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 09:14:38 pm »
Congrats on your purchase......All dealers are going to say there brand is the best and there tubs have exclusives that others don't. They aren't lying all dealers will feel that way and most tubs have something that no others have. Hot springs has no bypass filtration, bullfrog has jet packs, marquis has tri zone and hot seats. It's up to the consumer to figure what's best for them. Generally if you buy a hot spring, marquis, d-1, jacuzzi, sundance or bullfrog you are getting the best of the best tubs out there. I'm sure there are a few brands that I'm missing but you get the point.

For the most part I agree, and I don't blame dealers for believing they have the best product. They should think that. But it's really all about the approach. When we were looking for our tub I went into a Beachcomber dealer. I didn't really think I was going to get Beachcomber, but my brother-in-law had one and was pleased with it, so I thought I'd give them a look. Thankfully, by this time I knew a bit about spas and knew some of the pros and cons of different makes, and more importantly had a pretty good idea who the better manufacturers were. Anyway, I went into this dealer and the sales guy was very aggressive, not only in favour of his product, but against the competition. He started bad mouthing names like Hot Spring, Sundance, Jacuzzi, etc. I actually got pissed off and told him so. I asked him if he thought I was an idiot because I knew these were good manufacturers he was bad mouthing and there was no way in hell I would buy anything from him.

At first he started arguing with me and then all of a sudden he stopped. The look on his face was almost comical. He got reflective for a minute, and then apologized to me. Said he had just come from a sales course where they had been instructed to be very aggressive. I shook his hand and said no hard feelings, but he had lost any chance of a sale with me. We ended up buying a Jacuzzi from a salesman who was very knowledgeable, who encouraged me to go and check out the competition, and who was very low key.

So again, I expect salespeople to believe in their product. But it's how you communicate that belief. It's all about the approach. Really is pretty simple stuff.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 07:22:58 am »
Welcome to the forum. I largely agree with your assessment and your title.  I've bought twice now in 12 years and the first time I got tired of the process and went with the "deal" offered.   The 2nd time I realized I was more in charge and the market had thinned the heard substantially. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 07:22:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42