What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wiring Under Deck  (Read 7336 times)

Bigralphy

Wiring Under Deck
« on: March 16, 2015, 06:11:25 pm »
I am getting ready to install the wiring for my tub.  All the wiring will be under a deck and I was wondering the best product to use.  I am looking at using Teck 90 all the way from the panel to the tub but it will be costly.  Can I run nmwu under the deck to the gfci and teck to the tub.  Would the nmwu need protection under the deck?  My deck is only 18 inches off the ground so a person cannot fit that well under it and it cannot be used for storage as it is enclosed with lattice.

Also code in the CEC states a gfci is required but cannot be within 1.5 meters from the tub but doesn't state it has to be in sight.  I would prefer to install the gfci in  my garage as it is heated and will not be subject to the Canadian climate.  An emergency stop switch is not required in a residential dwelling.

Any  help is appreciated

Hot Tub Forum

Wiring Under Deck
« on: March 16, 2015, 06:11:25 pm »

bobaloo

Re: Wiring Under Deck
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:37:05 am »
My gfci sub-panel is mounted on the house wall on my back porch and the wiring to the hot tub goes under the deck and is enclosed in pvc conduit from the sub-panel to the tubs panel.  No wiring is left exposed.

flava flav

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:19:57 am »
Flava says read your manual and code and talk to and have the work completed by a professional.  Most tub manufactures in the US require THHN wire.  6 gage for 60amp (8 gage for 50amp) THHN wire from the GFCI panel to the tub.  That will need to be in conduit because THNN is strand wire.  Can't see how Canada would be different from the US national electric code.  This has been the regulation for years, nothing new.  Personally I would not run a non conduit wire outside to the tub and don't put a NM romex style wire in a conduit.  Conduit is not difficult to work with it's just an extra step and a few more $.

The panel should be accessible.  Inside it's not accessible.  If the tub ever needs to be shut down for a problem(rare bet you never know, or just convenience of shutting it down and turning it back on, would you put a switch for a bedroom light in the kitchen of the other side of a house?) they someone not familiar with where it is will have a problem finding it.  Mount it outside within sight of the tub, the cold will have no effect on wires and panel the wires(double check with the panel manufacturer if you have a doubt) Yeah boyeeee good luck.  Do it right and safely.     

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:37:53 am »
Code also states that you must have a disconnect switch at least 5' from the spa, AND in visible sight of the spa. This is for the protection of anyone that's working on the spa...most people use a GFCI for the disconnect (within sight of the spa). The further you put the GFCI from the spa, the more likely you'll get "false tripping". Also, it can greatly increase troubleshooting and repair time and costs, as every time it trips, the repair person has to go reset it (imagine working on the spa and the GFCI trips 10 to 15 times in the process).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

summerside9000

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »
Mine is on the outside of the spa just around the corner from the tub. conduit underground to under the deck and into the spa.
60amp disconnect with GFCI is no issue in my Canadian winter. works fine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42