What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Value of Hot Tub  (Read 6990 times)

dorkshoei

Value of Hot Tub
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:20:18 pm »
We just bought a house.   It came with the following hot tub.   We know nothing about hot tubs and don't want it.

I believe it may have been a Costco product.      They left us the original printed manual,  which corresponds exactly (including the 2006 (c) date) to this:  http://www.infinityspas.net/spa-owners-manual.pdf

This is all the information our realtor was able to obtain:
Regarding the hot tub all we've heard is, "they bought it three or four years ago and they think they still have the manual. If they find it they will leave on the counter for the buyers." Let us know if you have other specific questions about it. We asked if it works & how old it is. Sounds like they think it works.

My question is whether it has sufficient value to warrant us cleaning it out,  testing to see that it works (assume that means filling it?)  or if we should just look at offering it for free in exchange for someone collecting it,  I think our realtor knows someone who may be interested if we give it away for free.

I'm not sure what the deal is with all of the red sealant around the jets.   At the inspection the breaker was missing in the 220v box that is mounted next to the spa, but I just checked and they must have reinstalled it.   No clue if this means the sellers tested it.

Advice welcomed.   Thanks

http://s3.postimg.org/746yblwc3/P1040766.jpg[/img]

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:32:26 pm by dorkshoei »

Hot Tub Forum

Value of Hot Tub
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:20:18 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Value of Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:17:10 pm »
 Unless it's running it not worth much.  You can try Craigslist for say 500 take 250 that's if they offer anything at all.    If you can get it running and it holds water you may get 500 maybe more.  The silicone is either there to hold the jets in or stop it from leaking, the latter being the worst.   

Really depends what your time & money is worth in getting it running.    Worse case put it on C,list for free, amazing what the word free means to some people..   

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 08:19:52 pm »
Junk, unless you can work on it yourself to nurse it along. Likely cost an arm and a leg plus your first born to operate.

Red sealant around the jets means it was fixed from leaking incorrectly.

It will likely give you a bad taste in your mouth for hot tubbing.
Retired

dorkshoei

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 03:40:33 pm »
Junk, unless you can work on it yourself to nurse it along. Likely cost an arm and a leg plus your first born to operate.
As I said, we have no interest in keeping it.   We want it gone.   Only question is whether we can get any money for it.   

It sounds like to get $500 for it we would have to fill it up and verify it holds water plus  runs.   Then drain it. 

If $500 is all we can hope to get, working, then we'll just sell it for free.  We already have interest if it's free.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 06:29:44 pm »
9 years from that brand is very good. They are usually disposed of after 6-8 years.

Retired

dorkshoei

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 07:00:16 pm »
9 years from that brand is very good. They are usually disposed of after 6-8 years.
If you re-read my first post they claim to have purchased it "three or four years ago".   The date on the manual is 2006 but as I said the current PDF manual on the manufacturers website is identical with the same 2006 date.     I have no idea if they are being truthful or not.   

but bottom like; I have no clue how old it actually is, I guess maybe there is a serial# somewhere and I can ask the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:03:19 pm by dorkshoei »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 07:50:07 pm »
   If you open the front panel, it should have a manufacturers sticker on the control box itself with a serial number.   You will have to get in there and unhook the power at some point.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 08:19:11 pm »
People forget, lose track of time...
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

shitcago

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:16:27 pm »
I found my 2006 arctic thundra on craigslist for free. i had no idea of manufacturers of spas, just knew it looked real nice in the pictures and was not but a half hour from my house. When i arrived there with my trailer i was flattened to see the size and weight of this 8 foot monster. well 3 guys and a jeep with a comealong got me on my way home. i asked whats up that he was giving away such a nice spa. He told me that one of the valves broke and the noise scared his wife. She was afraid to go in it. Well i got it home changed the valve and hose for about 40 bucks and it fired right up. So believe it or not i have an 06 thundra LSE for under 100 bucks. I splurged and bought 12 new jets that screw in, and new headrest and the bear claw knobs. i would imagine i could get 4,000.00 in a blink of an eye as all this spa needs is the bluetooth setup. I understand the accessory package behind the board on the bottom is set up for a power inverter which it already has and it also has an equalizer hooked up. or they sell a bluetooth board add on for 550.00. i wish i could post pictures here i don't know how, but i have the before and i can take some today pictures. i highly recommend the arctic just because of ALL the jets and the positions of them. i realize i got real lucky on this but i did go for that free one and fought it all the way to startup..they are heavy.  If i could get advise as to how to post pictures i will send a few tomorrow.       

dorkshoei

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 01:35:31 pm »
   If you open the front panel, it should have a manufacturers sticker on the control box itself with a serial number.   You will have to get in there and unhook the power at some point.

There is this sticker but it's labelled Balboa not Infinity.    I can't see anything else.    It was made September 2007.  I think it's referring to just the controller:  http://balboadirect.com/54585.aspx

top of box:

front of box:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:47:46 pm by dorkshoei »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 06:55:34 pm »
Don't bother calling Infinity service. Their gone. Bankrupt in 2012. If it a 2006 or 2007 it's still worth free.

I think they were the third or fourth Costco brand to go belly up.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 05:12:53 pm »
Don't bother calling Infinity service. Their gone. Bankrupt in 2012. If it a 2006 or 2007 it's still worth free.

Were they one of the ones that came back from like Keys backyard, I remember one or two that went belly up but rebranded under something else and were sold at Costco again?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 07:43:46 pm »

Were they one of the ones that came back from like Keys backyard, I remember one or two that went belly up but rebranded under something else and were sold at Costco again?

It's hard to remember what brands were sold at Costco that went belly up. Unless the people who buy them come here and say "there as good as a spa that cost 10,000 dollars for 3-4 thousand" But the companies that sell to Costco cut so many corners to meet the price point that they have a ton of warranty issues.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 07:43:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42