What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: wet testing  (Read 5067 times)

murgurl

wet testing
« on: July 08, 2004, 04:14:26 pm »
We are looking at small spas. Most dealers do not have them set up for wet test. They suggest trying the larger spa, such as Optima vs capri etc...Sales guy says " it is the same seat" True?? Any ideas?

Hot Tub Forum

wet testing
« on: July 08, 2004, 04:14:26 pm »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Re: wet testing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 04:24:54 pm »
In my opinion if a dealer is not willing to fill up a tub for you to test then move on...  Most that we dealt with would fill any tub for us to test.

I would also say that they are likely NOT the same seat.  The larger tubs have different jet configurations and pumps so you will likely get a different experience than in a smaller tub.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 04:25:52 pm »
eeek!  :o

My idea... "they" are probably a dealer not to be trusted.
If perchance the spa has "the same seat" there are many other factors that will differ, like jets in the seat and the pump pushing water into the seat. And what about the rest of the spa? maybe one seat "is the same" but unless you are buying a spa with just one seat, it is highly recommended to try every seat.

Also, bigger spas tend to have more features, better features and a larger pricetag. Nothing worse than falling in love with a big $10,000 tub when you went to the dealer with a budget half of that - and what happens when you get that small tub delivered and it feels much different than the big one you wet tested??

Wet test the spa you are interested in purchasing.
e

murgurl

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 04:53:24 pm »
Thanks for input. I just got off phone and sales told me if its comfy dry, it will be same wet!!! They will not wet test small Capri...Those large stainless steel rings sure poke my back when its dry!!

murgurl

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 04:59:38 pm »
Thanks for input. I just got off phone and sales told me if its comfy dry, it will be same wet!!! They will not wet test small Capri...Those large stainless steel rings sure poke my back when its dry!!

empolgation

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 05:08:19 pm »
it's getting worse...
dry is *not* the same as wet.

run away
e

murgurl

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 05:20:45 pm »
We are comparing the Jacuzzi 315..SUNDANCE CAPRI..hOT SPRING JETTSETTER ANY OTHER MAKES/MODELS YOU WOULD COMPARE?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 05:24:16 pm »
Sales guy says " it is the same seat" True?? Any ideas?

Absolutely not! Interesting replies so far and I think they are all right to some  extent much of the time.  In some cases testing a similar model does yield some insight about the brand, but not fit related issues.  If you have absolutely never used a hot tub before, you can gain some information from  a test like this.

But there are a lot of things you can't tell.  You may find your too crowded if your are able to wet test in the smaller model  and end up buying a bigger model based on the test.

Lots of people here will tell you that they didn't fit in some models when they wet tested.  During my shopping period I found most dealers only had a couple of spas in their wet test area and would attempt to get you to try something else first.  

I had one dealer who didn't have the configuration in the size I was looking at, but told me he would have one in within 2 weeks and he would call me.  (He never did) That was a Master Spa dealer and not returning calls promised was a huge turn off.

Back to what the dealer will or won't do with regard to wet testing, I am of the belief that what some/many/ a few dealers will or won't do changes with how serious of a customer they feel you are.  I have a hunch the same dealer a few weeks from now might be more accomidating if you visit a couple more times, ask questions that indicate your seriousness and are armed with facts of competing models.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 05:25:45 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 05:27:55 pm »
Dry is not the same as wet but I would not necessarily run away from a dealer who does not have your spa wet. It isn't easy to set up for a wet test if that spa isn't going to stay wet as they'll have to go to lengths to properly dry it back out. If the spa is in the same family as another that is already wet and the seat is set up the same then the feel will be typically the same. If you really need to wet test (which I CERTAINLY agree is optimal) you need to at least give them a verbal promise (for what its worth) that you're going to buy it if it feels right. If you're just sampling away its a lot of work to set up a wet spa for a test unless they plan to let it remain that way after the test. If they think you're really going to buy it that's a different story but its not always easy to tell those that are only a wet test away from those that are a looky-lou.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

empolgation

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 05:38:21 pm »
You might want to consider the Marquis Spirit as well,i believe  it's a similar kind of tub to the others you are considering.

Great advice wmccall...
I went to a local dealer with a small showroom who had one tub wet. He said I couldn't wet test there the ones I was interested in and suggested that I go to another dealer of the same brand 300 miles away to wet test pretty much any model. That further dealer had all but one tub wet that i was interested in. When my local dealer found that I made the trip he said he would fill that one tub i didn't get to try.

You might want to do a roadtrip to wet test - it was well worth it for me.
e

empolgation

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 05:43:14 pm »
... I would not necessarily run away from a dealer who does not have your spa wet.
True enough, but a dealer that tells me to try a larger much more expensive tub because "it is the same seat" and that "if its comfy dry, it will be same wet" is not a dealer I would recommend buying from.
e

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 05:43:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42