What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1-888-spa-sale  (Read 8327 times)

Sam

1-888-spa-sale
« on: December 07, 2014, 05:09:22 pm »
http://spapoolandbbqshow.com/

They are back here in Denver and doing their scam spa show.  The TV ads make it sound like many manufacturers, though it is only Master Spas and whatever else they name their lines.  I called the number and was told that all of the major manufacturers would be there.  I said I was interested in a Hot Spring Spa and they told me that I could buy one at the show at the National Western Complex but it would be much less expensive than from a local dealer.  I bet Hot Spring would love to know about this. Call the number and try it yourself.  Ask about a specific brand.

The website shows pools, spas, bbq islands, saunas, etc.  All that is there are a bunch of overpriced spas.  They tell you that you can have this $15k spa for only $7k because it is a manufacturer's clearance event.  They told me it was a chemical free spa.  They told me that they have a local dealership for service.  None of these things are true.

Why does Master Spas let their name be used by these scam artists?  It is terrible for our industry.  After every show, we get calls from people that purchased there and have no idea how to operate their spa.  We get people with pseudomonas infections because they don't add any chemicals to their spa.  It makes me sick. 

Done ranting.  The more people talk about the scam, the better chance someone will read this and think twice about supporting these scammers.  It's now called the "Pool and Spa show" in their TV ads.  They just keep changing the names. 

Hot Tub Forum

1-888-spa-sale
« on: December 07, 2014, 05:09:22 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: 1-888-spa-sale
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:04:10 am »
I haven't seen them here in a few years.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 11:33:21 am »
They were in Mpls/St. Paul at the end of March '14...same scam/different city...I remember specifically I was working a local home-show and I had a few customers stop by our booth who had gone down to where they setup to shop..same deal as OP mentioned above: one particular lady had called them ahead of time looking for a Infrared sauna and maybe spa combo and they told her we had 10 different manufacturers/all kinds of saunas/etc. and she even said the signage on the way to the place said "hot tubs" "saunas" "massage chairs" and she walked into the place to find 10 different spas who in her words "all looked the same, just different colors" Not 1 single sauna or any other product they had advertised was even there to view. A complete joke, I don't know how these clowns sleep at night

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 12:11:11 pm »
The last time they came to Columbus the long time local Master Dealer dropped them and changed brands they carried. I think they went to Hawkeye, and the local dealer finally went under.  Just before the show a new Master dealer was set up near my employer and I never got to go over and look.   Maybe its time for me to look and see if I even have a local dealer.

Oh yea, now I remember, you can't find a dealer on their website, you have to fill out a form. I know my Sundance /Jacuzzi dealer was carrying Master's swim spa for awhile.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:21:08 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 12:31:59 pm »
They come to my area 3 or 4 times a year plus they do the big fair near me.  They just lie, lie and lie some more.  Then they take peoples money and they never see them again.  I have had people get sick from their tubs and still argue with me that they don't need any chemicals. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 12:32:43 pm »
And I will add the dealer for them in my area is no better.  They do the same thing.  Most unethical company I have ever seen

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 12:57:55 pm »
And I will add the dealer for them in my area is no better.  They do the same thing.  Most unethical company I have ever seen

Master dealer here in town has burned so many bridges and is being sued by so many people that when the "clown show" comes to town people actually post his criminal background on Craigslist in hopes of steering other potential customers away.  And yes he must train his employees to tell customers their spas need no chemicals, I've heard a few of his customers who came to my store say they don't need any chemical because they have "silver coated filters"...just a complete joke for the entire industry, makes us all look bad

Mike82

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 03:23:10 pm »
We went to the show when they came to Seattle as we were in the market for a hot tub before we went with a local dealer. Found them to be exceedingly pushy. When we went to other local dealers after the show they were all asking how they were - none of them were surprised when we told them.

Chartreux

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 09:07:14 pm »
There should be a way to shut these types of scams down. Maybe get the IRS on them since they probably don't pay taxes on the sales of what they sell...

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 10:16:37 pm »
 As long as people are gullible enough to buy their spas, they will sell them.    You wouldn't think they make enough to do the show, but they must..

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 11:21:34 pm »
Why would you think they're not paying taxes? This is a cooperate circus show. Of course they're paying taxes.

Jim, I'm sure there's PLENTY of gullible enough people to buy their spas, other wise they would be doing this year after year.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Sam

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 02:33:27 pm »
Bump. 

888SpaSal is Back in town again.  Were just here 3 weeks ago.  It's been called 888SpaSale for awhile otherwise known as spapoolandbbqshow.com.  There are no pools or bbq's.  Only a bunch of Master Spas, one single hot tub manufacturer.  I noticed that Master has a weird FAQ seeming to defend this crap.

https://www.masterspas.com/hot-tub-expo.php?gclid=CjwKCAjwur7YBRA_EiwASXqIHOYd-JffNgLzisnp0GMjiedupdedG_-PyjVbSj-a6FjpDJHd2oynXxoCrisQAvD_BwE

It's frustrating that they sanction the crap that Master Pool and Spa out of Saint Louis Park, MN does in their name.  They claim to be selling factory direct which is untrue.  They continue to sell their spas as "chemical free" because of the stupid eco pur filter that doesn't do much if anything.  Unsuspecting consumers believe this.  For any of you who may read this, there is no such thing as a chemical free hot tub.  It does not exist.  The special filter that they talk about does not properly sanitize the water.  You still need to maintain a constant 2ppm chlorine at all times.

Per the instructions in their owner's manual; 
Step 1: Your spa should be filled using a Pre-filter, which can be obtained from your local
dealer. This Pre-filter will help remove many of the minerals existing in the water,
which will make adjusting the water balance easier after a new fill. Never use more
then 50% softened water when filling the spa.
Step 2: During the initial filling of the spa, add a sequestering agent to combat suspended
minerals in the water. The agents are sold under many different names such as Mineral
Clear or Metal Protect. Allow water to circulate and filter for at least 30 minutes
(or per bottle recommendations) before adding any other chemicals.
Step 3: Test water for pH, total Alkalinity, and Calcium hardness. The pH should be 7.4 - 7.6
and the total Alkalinity 100 - 120 ppm. Calcium hardness levels should be maintained
between 150 and 250 ppm (part per million).
Step 4: Adjust pH and total Alkalinity (TA) utilizing the directions on the chemical bottles.
Wait 15 minutes, test and adjust if necessary.
Step 5: It may be necessary to retest and add additional chemicals to get to the proper levels
in Step 3.
Step 6: Add concentrated chlorinating granules* (sodium Dichlor-s-triazinetreone) to reach a
Free Chlorine level of 5 to 8 ppm on initial start up to begin sanitizing the spa water.
Bathers should not enter the spa until the chlorine levels drop below 5.0 ppm. Always
refer to the chemical manufacturers dosage recommendations listed on the container.
It is important not to add the chlorinating granules until the pH, alkalinity and calcium
hardness have been adjusted to their proper levels.
*SPECIAL NOTE:
We recommend a minimum level of 2.0 ppm residual free chlorine be maintained in spa water. Always refer to
the chemical manufacturer’s dosage recommendations listed on the container.
When adding chlorine or non-chlorine shock/oxidizer always spread it across the water while the pumps are running.

The quantities of sanitizer and oxidizer shown in this manual are for 500 gallon spas and may have to be adjusted
depending on the actual amount of water that your spa holds. See the specifications section of this manual
for the correct gallons of your spa.
The concentration of active ingredients in spa chemicals varies by manufacturer. The amounts of sanitizer sug

https://www.masterspas.com/documents/_manuals/int/2018/2018-legend-series-owners-manual-INT.pdf

Here is a link to the yelp page for master pool and spa who is the dealer that put's on 888 Spa Sale, otherwise known as the master traveling circus.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/master-pool-and-spa-minneapolis

There sure are a lot of complaints about purchases at different expos around the country.  Their google reviews and bbb page are full of similar complaints.

You don't need to be dishonest to be successful in business.  I've talked to so many people who have been burned or ripped off by this company that I will continue to try to shine light on them in an attempt to maybe save a few people from them.  I actually had a lady at my store in tears a couple of weeks ago.  She expressed concerns about her electrical capacity and having enough space to fit.  The sales person assured her her that they work on any electrical panel and she could get a refund if it didn't work out.  A few days later after an electrician told her it would be about $6k to re-do her electrical panel for the swim spa and that he concrete pad would need expanded, she decided to cancel.  It took a week to finally get a hold of anyone at the store half-way across the country and they told her "all sales are final.  You signed and initialed a contract.  You will lose your $6k deposit". 

The people who run these shows have zero care or concern for anything other than $$$ and more $$$.   I would have no problem if they were just honest and didn't resort to shady tactics.

Sorry for the rant.  It just really grinds my gears to see people who ripoff others and show no remorse.  It's all to common in today's america and becoming normalized and equated with "success".  We need to treat each other with love and respect.  You can do so and still be a profitable business.

Marco P

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 03:11:02 pm »
They were in oregon a few weeks ago. We went there expecting more that 1 brand, and pools too. boy were we suprised.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 03:11:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42