What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Circulation Pump - are they truly a cost saver?  (Read 21724 times)

soon2float

Circulation Pump - are they truly a cost saver?
« on: June 30, 2004, 10:12:18 am »
We are looking for a tub about 8' square with 1 lounge, in the 5-6500 range.

Several we have looked at have the circ pump as an option or not at all. Does anyone know if it truly is a savings.

We have looked at Artesian, LA Spa Heet, and Coast. Any other recommendation are very welcomed.

Thank you so much,
Lisa
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 10:12:51 am by soon2float »

Hot Tub Forum

Circulation Pump - are they truly a cost saver?
« on: June 30, 2004, 10:12:18 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Circulation Pump - are they truly a cost saver
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 11:31:03 am »
Both methods are fine for filtering but when comparing the two I like the circ pump idea for other reasons. It is a bit of a cost saver (not major) but more importanatly to me, it allows for 24 hr ozone and is much quieter.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

soon2float

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 11:53:05 am »
Spa Tech,
Thanks for answering. Why is 24hr ozone any more effective than the regular pump occassionally running keeping up temp running through the ozone filter?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 12:02:28 pm »
Why is 24hr ozone any more effective than the regular pump occassionally running keeping up temp running through the ozone filter?

Circ pumps run 24/7 and therefore you're getting ozone mixed with the water 24/7. With a 2 speed pump you're getting ozone during the filter/heat cycles (plus any time you're in it with the pumps on) which typically equates to about 6-8 hrs per day. Therefore, you're getting ozone input into a spa with a 24 hr circ pump about 3-4 times more often than a spa without a circ pump. I'm not saying this should disallow any thoughts of getting a spa without a circ pump but it is a big positive on the circ pump side.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 12:54:32 pm »
When I was shopping, the Marquis dealer made a very effective arguement for using the main pump in lieu of a small 24-hour circ pump.  Marquis apparently did offer the 24-hour pumps for a few years and then changed to their current design.  The main reason was that the 24-hour pumps only last for a few years before they fail.  

On the plus side, the 24-hour pumps offer constant ozone, even heat distribution, and clean water at all times.

In the end I concluded that how the pumps are configured ranks along side of horsepower ratings and the number of jets.  In the final analysis all not very important relative to the more important issues of reliability, ergonomics, ease of use, and so on.

Regards,

Bill

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 01:11:58 pm »
As Bill mentioned each have their merits....the biggest problem with the circ pump being the lower volume of water they move on a daily basis....around ten times a day or so where using the low speed of the larger pump will allow you to turn over your water closer to 60 times a day....but both seem to work fine....and each offers advantages over the other.....

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 01:13:12 pm »
The neverending debate over circ pump "advantages"...

You'll most likely find, as I have, through long research that there are folks who swear by the advantages and savings of the 24/7 circ pump and pretty much an equal number of others who say that it's basically just an additional cost that needs replacing. Yes, filtration is occuring all the time but often times the quantity of water filtered over a 24 hour period is less than tubs without them. Ultimately I don't think it should be a deciding factor when choosing a tub.

As for ozonation, I've found that it's simply not been around long enough in spas to offer any reliable data.  I have been unsuccessful at finding any concrete answers to many questions regarding spa ozonators such as "what is the empirical advantage of having an ozonator in a spa" and "is there a real advantage to having ozone introduced into your water more often". Other factors involved in its "effectiveness" include ozone concentration, length of contact chamber and time spent in the contact chamber.

I have concluded that there is not enough data regarding spa ozonators to make a big difference in my spa decision but I will most likely get one to gather some data of my own.
e

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 01:20:53 pm »
Both methods are fine for filtering but when comparing the two I like the circ pump idea for other reasons. It is a bit of a cost saver (not major) but more importanatly to me, it allows for 24 hr ozone and is much quieter.

I agree with the above.
Have a look at Beachcomber, Marquis and Dimension One

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 03:12:16 pm »
Or you could look at a spa that does both...circ pump and filter cycles...such as sundance/jacuzzi premium.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 03:37:11 pm »
That's how ours is.  We have the 24 hour circ pump, and can also set the main pumps to cycle on and off at will for more agressive filtering.
Have not had our spa long enough to comment on the longevity of the circ. pump.  

Brewman
Brewman

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 03:49:15 pm »
They all do this. The little circulation pumps do not move enough water to prevent stagnant areas. Specifacly in the corners. The primary pumps in most of these spas will automaticaly come on for 20 or 30 minutest 3 or 4 times a day to do a big stir up. Even the HotSprin Spas have what they call the clean up cycle. You are supposed to press this button after spa use. All it's doing is turning on the main pumps to get the water sufficiently filtered. To me, this says, circ pumps are an unneeded expense. My spa is a 2000 Jacuzzi Laser Select. No circ pump, with an ozonater. Jacuzzi spas disable the ozonater for 2 hours when any button is pushed so ozone will not be released into the spa while it's in use. It's automatic filtration time is 2 hours 2x a day and the water is always crystal clear and smells nice! Circ pumps are a nice sounding sales tool that sounds like "folks, this spa is so automatic it filters your water every day all day and you don't have to do a thing".

Or you could look at a spa that does both...circ pump and filter cycles...such as sundance/jacuzzi premium.

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

soon2float

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 04:20:11 pm »
Thank you all  for your help.
Wisoki, In all my searching I have not heard of any tub turning off the ozone during use (not to say they do not do this, but no one ever mentioned it. Is this important and should I look into this further.

Thanks again

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 05:49:13 pm »
It's important because ozone is a toxic gas that can be harmful over prolonged periods of exposure.
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 06:24:26 pm »
It's important because ozone is a toxic gas that can be harmful over prolonged periods of exposure.
Kinda makes one wonder why it would be advantageous to have ozone introduced via a 24/7 circ pump...
e

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 09:22:22 am »
I'm not sure of others, but SD spas turn ozone off when any main pumps are on.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 09:22:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42