What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Choice of 4 Tubs- any help appreciated  (Read 9688 times)

Neilg

Choice of 4 Tubs- any help appreciated
« on: November 03, 2014, 05:10:27 pm »
Finally getting around to replacing my Sweetwater (i.e. economy Sundance) spa that lasted 10 yrs before I gave up on the leaks.  My criteria is to comfortably seat 4 & have a lounger.  Narrowed my search to following with price quotes before tax:
Caldera Marino $5,150     Jacuzzi J235 $6,000     Sundance Peyton $6325     Cooperage 371 $6300
Haven't wet tested any yet, all were comfortable to me & wife dry.  Prices are first quotes.  All dealers are local and reputable.  The Marino seems priced well-they have two in stock & must want to move them.  After the Sweetwater & leaks, kind of turned off by the solid foam insulation but worried about damage critters might do to the fiber type insulation if they get inside the cabinet.  Cooperage salesman said the insulation is treated with rodent repellent but I'm somewhat skeptical if such would be effective.  Warranties are comparable, none seem great (varies 2 to 3 years on leaks.)  Any insight on my choices would be welcomed.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:31:43 pm by Neilg »

Hot Tub Forum

Choice of 4 Tubs- any help appreciated
« on: November 03, 2014, 05:10:27 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Choice of 4 Tubs- any help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 07:57:13 pm »
I think you need to narrow 2 out of this list. I could pick 2 but you should. Then go have a second look and talk watering one down or both would be best. See if one of the dealers wants to go above and beyond. I think I would leave the Sundance out and the Coop tub.. Caldera is just as good if not better than Sundance and Jacuzzi will give you a much different feel than the Caldera or the others.
Retired

Chartreux

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:12:05 pm »
Maybe try each one out again dry, look at the features you want and narrow you choices down that way and then ask about possible wet testing...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »
Sitting in a dry tub is like testing a mattress by laying on the bed frame.

*copyright 2014 Dr. Spa*

sorry, that was just too good not to copyright  ;D ;D :o 8)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:33:48 pm by Dr. Spa™ Ret. »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Neilg

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:15:10 pm »
I agree that wet testing is the way to go but not always possible.  Will try to wet test what I can this week & at least narrow it to two.  Any insight into whether all these brands are in the same class regarding quality & reliability.  Does any stand out as better or worse than the others?

Chartreux

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:57:56 pm »
Of course they have to do a wet tests...but they can narrow down their search before that by looking at the features on the spa they want...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 07:36:21 am »
I did wet test the J235 and found it comfortable.  A probable good value.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 11:47:00 am »

*copyright 2014 Dr. Spa*

Sitting in a dry tub is like expecting your blind date to look like their picture posted on the dating website.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Neilg

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 01:24:42 pm »
Just wet tested the Caldera Marino.  Tub seems well built, good trim & finish.  Layout of seats good with plenty of room & comfortable.  Quiet & adequate water pressure.  Downside: None of the jets are individually adjustable.  In the lounger a series of jets hit the calfs which I found annoying after a short period of time.  Problem is can't have jets that hit the back on & those jets off.  My prior tub, you could adjust pressure down or turn off completely individual jets.  Probably a deal buster for me.  Another downside is the filter has no cover or sieve over the filter.  I'm pretty wooded over the hot tub & even with the tub only open when in use, I frequently had to clean leaves & other tree debris out of filter sieve.   

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 11:27:42 pm »
You are finding out why wet testing is important. Try a different brand.
Retired

Chartreux

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 10:15:05 am »
Try and give the Sundance a wet tests, I really like Sundance...it's a nice spas!

buba

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 11:52:41 am »
We recently replaced an old hot tub. Decided to go with the Jacuzzi J335 instead of the J235 due to the jet layout and the fact the main entry and exit of the tub does not require stepping on the lounger seat. That second point can be annoying to whomever is seating in the lounger, which is my wife's favorite seat, n'uf said about that! I prefer the deep seat next to the lounger in the J335 for its neck jets (old neck injury). Downside is the extra cost of the J300 series. We did not test the others you listed thus cannot comment on those. Good luck with your search and Welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:56:00 am by buba »

Topline Mike

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 11:26:41 am »

*copyright 2014 Dr. Spa*

Sitting in a dry tub is like expecting your blind date to look like their picture posted on the dating website.

Now that's funny!

Neilg

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 04:03:16 pm »
Wet tested the Maax Cooperage 371 & the Sundance Peyton.  No dealer within my driving range has a Jacuzzi 235 for me to wet test & only one (an hour away) has one for me to even see.  As such, eliminated Jacuzzi.  The Peyton was very comfortable to me with nice jet action and full ability to control the two pumps independent of each other & each of the 35 jets are adjustable (as I mentioned previously, the Caldera Marino lacks this functionality).  Downside is there was no 'deep seat' and the only way to get the neck messaged (I'm 6') is to slouch in the seat.  Good foot room and foot message on both lounger & from most of the seats.  Wife could not make the wet test & a little concerned seats might allow too much 'float' for her.  The Cooperage has 45 jets and also good jet action with a deep seat with specific neck jets.  Seats were also comfortable with less 'float' but the Peyton lounger seemed to have more leg room.  Noise not a problem in either.  Downside to the 371 is the air adjuster for lounger & two seats is located out of arms reach of the lounger and one seat.  Likewise the other air control is more than a arms length from all three seats it controls.  Seemed odd & not an issue in the other tubs.  The jets are interchangable but one kept popping out and the final downside is the fit & trim is not as good as the Peyton.  (IMO, the Caldera had the best fit & trim quality of the three I wet tested.)  Final decision is to go with the Peyton.  Will negotiate a price with the two dealers in my area.  Right now at about $6,100 delivered, set up etc.

Chartreux

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 03:49:00 pm »
There are other Sundance models you should try out...My husband is 6"2" and he liked the Dover from Sundance...It's a smaller spas, how big did you need? Go to Sundances website...
I'm on the edge of getting a Sundance...If they would stock the Capri on the floor...hint to Sundance dealers...hint...anyways we liked Sundance.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 03:49:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42