What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Overdose MPS  (Read 1873 times)

tobber

Overdose MPS
« on: October 05, 2014, 04:19:22 pm »
Hi,

Because of a miscalculation i had appr. 5 times the normal shock dose of MPS  sitting in my unused tub for 10 days.
Can that do any harm to my equipment or shell?

Off course i changed the water before using it.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Overdose MPS
« on: October 05, 2014, 04:19:22 pm »

chem geek

Re: Overdose MPS
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 06:16:58 pm »
It would be equivalent to having the normal dose for 50 days so figure you added 2 months of wear over a week and a half.  Not a big deal.  MPS is also somewhat selective in its oxidation and spa equipment is reasonably resistant to it.

tobber

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 10:44:13 am »
thanks,

i am thinking, wouldn't a big dose of MPS be ok to keep your tub free of bacteria & microfilm when you are on a several weeks vacations. And refilling after you are back?
I noticed that after 10 days my MPS teststrip still had a  high level reading of MPS level.

chem geek

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:18:40 pm »
If you have Nature2 with its silver ions, then yes raising the MPS level high enough so that it will last over a vacation should keep the spa in decent shape.  Without the silver ions, though, MPS is not a disinfectant and doesn't kill pathogens quickly enough.  Also, technically, the EPA approval only came with this combination because of the hot water temperatures.  Even so, lowering the water temp for vacation should be OK because the kill times don't have to be as fast as the EPA requires -- you just want to prevent uncontrolled bacterial growth.  You don't need 6-log (99.9999%) reductions of E. coli in 30 seconds while you are away!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:18:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42