What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie w/ questions regarding first hot tub purchase..  (Read 9167 times)

f6487

Newbie w/ questions regarding first hot tub purchase..
« on: September 22, 2014, 03:39:08 pm »
Hi,  I'm a newbie at this site but thought I would start by trying to educate myself so I can make the smartest hot tub purchase possible.  I'm in Northern California where the nights can get cold but no snow at all.  This hot tub will be going outside on our patio and we plan to use it all year long.

I have a hot tub store nearby that sells hot springs hot tubs and I know there is also a Sundance dealer close by.  Probably a few others if I need to do any price comparisons.

I'm looking at a budget or probably $7000.00.  I can't imagine go over that amount.  We can't swing a $9k - $10k hot tub.

Our family is only me, my wife and our 8 yr old son.  We probably won't be inviting a lot of people over to hang in our tub.  I've seen the jetsetter by hotsprings and it's a three person tub.  A little small for my tastes.  I like to have a little room to stretch out.  I was thinking at minimum a four or five person tub.  I see hotsprings has a prodigy model and also a sovereign model.

Just looking for any advice you can possibly give me with brands, models, etc.

I know it's personal taste but it seems like how your going to keep your hot tub sanitized is a big decision.  I could really use some help in this area.

I want it to be simple and affordable.  Hot springs is currently throwing in there $1500.00 ACE Salt water sanitizing system.  I've read pros & cons about a lot of the salt water systems.  I don't know if that means they just jack up the cost of the tub another $1500 to make up for the sanitizing system there throwing in.  I'll do my homework on all that. 

Can someone speak on the different types of sanitizing options available and possible put me in the right direction.

Thanks for any advice you can give me on making my first hot tub purchase.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie w/ questions regarding first hot tub purchase..
« on: September 22, 2014, 03:39:08 pm »

MarKee

Re: Newbie w/ questions regarding first hot tub purchase..
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:56:40 am »
What part of NorCal are you in?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:23:00 am »
Welcome to the forum.  We know you have at least two reasonably close places to buy that can offer a few choices.  Your expectations sound reasonable.  You mention $7000, but can't imagine spending $9000.    The last time around I spend about $8500 so you have some room to move around, pun intended. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Kev B

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:54:14 am »
Check out the Aquaterra line from Costco. Everyone in here that sells hot tubs will hate me for recommending this tub, but they are built well and are under 4,500.00 with lot's of jets and power. Oh, and they are built by Watkins who also is involved with another line of tubs many in here will know quite well.

f6487

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 11:25:35 am »
What part of NorCal are you in?   I'm located in Petaluma CA 94952.

f6487

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 11:29:05 am »
Check out the Aquaterra line from Costco. Everyone in here that sells hot tubs will hate me for recommending this tub, but they are built well and are under 4,500.00 with lot's of jets and power. Oh, and they are built by Watkins who also is involved with another line of tubs many in here will know quite well.
  I would really have to look into this.  I just automatically discounted Costco because I figured they we're not in the same league as some of the other hot tub manufacturers.  The cheaper price scares me but I'll read some reviews and see what people have to say.  Thanks.

DaveMc

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 03:31:09 pm »
Take a look at the Optima by Sundance--we like the shape---4 corner for adults---hi seat for the 5'1 person--titanium heater should last longer---  We sere settled on the HS Vanguard until we analyzed the Optima--thicker wall---eco wrap---titanium heater and we were worried that the salt water package at HS would not be friendly to metal parts---most warranties calls we were told are due to bad water---for whatever reason bad water is unfriendly to heaters.
However you are in the 8 to 12 K range

MarKee

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:23:14 pm »
I would definitely check out Sonoma Backyard in Cotati, they have a large showroom and are one of the largest dealers in Northern California. They carry Marquis and Artesian Spas. The Marquis Spas are really nice and I think you will find them to be priced better than comparable Sundance/Hotspring. If you go to the showroom, ask for Gabe, really nice guy.

Isaac-1

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 01:33:33 am »
One thing to remember Hot Tub capacities are much like tent capacities, .... mostly theoretical. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 06:03:58 am »
  I would really have to look into this.  I just automatically discounted Costco because I figured they we're not in the same league as some of the other hot tub manufacturers.  The cheaper price scares me but I'll read some reviews and see what people have to say.  Thanks.

You will be making some compromises if you buy from a box store. Made by one of the largest and best manufacturers yes. But made to meet a price point with LESS warranty. LESS power. LESS longevity. LESS energy efficiency. All this may be fine for you but good reviews or not it is still less tub for less money.
Retired

f6487

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 01:22:45 pm »
I would definitely check out Sonoma Backyard in Cotati, they have a large showroom and are one of the largest dealers in Northern California. They carry Marquis and Artesian Spas. The Marquis Spas are really nice and I think you will find them to be priced better than comparable Sundance/Hotspring. If you go to the showroom, ask for Gabe, really nice guy.

I'm five minutes away from the Sonoma Backyard store in Cotati.  I'll go in and talk to Gabe.  I can honestly say I'm already a bit overwhelmed by this purchase process.  I'm one of those guys that can spend months doing endless research before making a large purchase like this.  I really was hoping to not have to put myself through that agony with this purchase.  I wanted to this to be simple but there are a lot of variables.  Number one being which brand of hot tub I want to purchase.  I'm ruling out Costco right off the bat.  It's not for me.  But now there's Sundance, Hot Springs, Marquis,  Artesian and many more.  Salt water sanitizing vs chlorine or bromine.  Someone tell me there is a simple formula for choosing a hot tub. 

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 02:36:50 pm »

I'm five minutes away from the Sonoma Backyard store in Cotati.  I'll go in and talk to Gabe.  I can honestly say I'm already a bit overwhelmed by this purchase process.  I'm one of those guys that can spend months doing endless research before making a large purchase like this.  I really was hoping to not have to put myself through that agony with this purchase.  I wanted to this to be simple but there are a lot of variables.  Number one being which brand of hot tub I want to purchase.  I'm ruling out Costco right off the bat.  It's not for me.  But now there's Sundance, Hot Springs, Marquis,  Artesian and many more.  Salt water sanitizing vs chlorine or bromine.  Someone tell me there is a simple formula for choosing a hot tub.

Its a mix of:

-the product (its quality and how it fits and feels so by all means wet test),
-trust in the dealer to be there after the sale (how long in business, how long with this product selling and servicing...)
-trust in the manufacturer and how they back their products (most warranties are similar, not are all similarly backed when issues arise).

Check out your options and make the best decision for you for the long haul.

richierich

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 07:40:30 pm »
The Sundance dealer in Cotati is great! His name is Eric. He has been in business a long time and takes care of his customers. I  bought my tub from him. The Marquis dealer also has a good reputation. Wet test a few tubs that you like. This is a must. It will help you make a decision on which tub is for you.

Quickbeam

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 08:08:57 pm »

Its a mix of:

-the product (its quality and how it fits and feels so by all means wet test),
-trust in the dealer to be there after the sale (how long in business, how long with this product selling and servicing...)
-trust in the manufacturer and how they back their products (most warranties are similar, not are all similarly backed when issues arise).

Check out your options and make the best decision for you for the long haul.

This is great advice from Hot Springs Ace. Purchasing a hot tub can be a daunting process, but if you follow the advice from Hot Spring Ace you won't go wrong.

f6487

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 08:26:45 pm »
Thanks guys..  I appreciate all the advice.  I plan on hitting the hot springs dealer, sundance & Sonoma backyards and wet testing quite a few tubs.  I would think that how it feels when your actually soaking in the tub is probably the most important factor.  And right behind that is what's under hood.  How well it's built, warranty and the reputation of the dealer & manufacturer.  I want someone that stands behind there products and your always going to get mixed reviews in this area.  One person will say the dealer bent over backwards at the first sign of any issues and the next person will say they couldn't even get a phone call returned.  I'm going to start this process next week and hopefully wet testing and pricing will narrow my search down quickly. 

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 08:26:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42