What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leaky Beachcomber  (Read 7558 times)

Steve E

Leaky Beachcomber
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:20:00 am »
Hi there I just moved into a place that has an 11 year old Beachcomber 720.  It appears as though it is leaking somewhere as the water level is dropping about an inch a day.  One of the jets popped right out and the plastic is all crumbling (on the jet).  All of the plumbing is exposed but it doesn't appear as though the leak is in that spot.  Can anyone tell me how I can go about finding out where the leak would be?  I can't access the interior of tub as it is totally sealled.  Should I try draining it and inspecting all of the jets to see if there are cracks or anythign?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

Leaky Beachcomber
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:20:00 am »

Kev B

Re: Leaky Beachcomber
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:35:45 am »
The jet inserts are not the issue as far as the leak is concerned. If the leak is not in the equipment area, I am sorry but you will need to get into the tub and perhaps an experienced technician would be your best bet.

mattwelke

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 05:08:50 pm »
if its under the step, where all the pumps are, you should be able to just tighten what ever is loose, you can buy a replacement jet for about $30 bucks i replaced most of mine in my 8 year old beachcomber. Never had any leaks, but unde the step would be the first place i would look, if its dry there, call a tech.

nicker22

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:27:04 pm »
I am dealing with this issue right now. I have a 580 and it was dropping about 1" a day.  I finally shut it down and let it drain till it stopped.  I noticed it stopped at about 1" down the light along with several jets.  I removed the pumps/wire and tilted tub on its side and it was wet.  Cut all the wet foam away and ended up stopping just above the light.  I have determined its the light.  My tub is 11 years old too and the seals around the jets and light is dry and cracking.  I am going to silicone each jet and around the light with some really good silicone.  Then I am going to fill the tub up again to just above that point again and leave it for a few days to see if the water drops.  If not then I will drain it and get it re foamed.  Pain in the ass YES.

I would honestly consider next time going with a TP tub.  Digging that wet foam away is a pain and from what I hear its not cheap to re-foam either.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:53:42 pm »
As was said on another post, a full foam spa will generally cost $20 or so, less per month to operate than "most" TP spas. Beachcomber is probably a bit more as they're unique with all 4 sides being full foamed. 11 years old, 132 months, $20 a month = $2640 savings in heating costs. Keep in mind also, MOST spas will NEVER leak inside the foam (there's an estimated 5,000,000 spas in use in the USA). Lets be VERY pessimistic and say 1 in 100 will leak (it's probably more like 1 in 1000) 100 spas, 1 developed a leak, combined they saved $264,000 in heating costs ($2.64 million if it's 1 in 1000 that leak). Even being overly generous with the value of your time, I doubt you have anywhere near $2640 in repairs. TP sounds like a rather poor investment.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:53:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42