What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Power Question  (Read 1932 times)

MIBBY

Power Question
« on: August 15, 2014, 12:57:51 am »
PowerHi.  I just found this forum.  I have looked but I can't seem to find a thread with an answer to my question.
Hopefully someone can give me some guidence.  I moved my hot tub from my last home in a semi-metro area.  I now live
in a rural area.  I am unable to find a spa dealer or installer her, so I am going to attempt to get it running myself.
OK. Now for the problem.  It is a 220V spa.  There is no 220 where the spa is located now.  Due to an injury I am unable to run the
220V service myself right now.  I called an electrician and got a bid of almost $700.00 for a 75 foot run, and a breaker for the main box.
I still have the 220 box that came with the spa.
Can I run it with 110V until I can get a 220V line installed?  I am not really woried about heating the tub right now.  I am mostly concerned
with getting the pumps running and making sure the piping survived the move, and that the spa is clean.  It's hot here anyway so I have no doubt
it will be warm enough till the cooler months.
I read the electrical installation manual but it gave no alternate installation instructions.  It is a Leisure Bay.  I don't know the model right off.  The papers are playing hide and seek with me.  Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. (Sorry for the long post. Just trying to get as much info out here)
Thanks in advance,  Mibby    :-[

Hot Tub Forum

Power Question
« on: August 15, 2014, 12:57:51 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Power Question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 06:09:23 am »
No you need 220 to run the spa.

civicfire99

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:55:40 am »
Most likely you have to have 220, as the board and pumps are all set up for that voltage.  $700 doesn't sound too far off for an install of that length, especially if he's using 6 gauge wire (usually close to $3 a foot unless you can buy a bulk 500' or 1000' roll).  It depends a lot on access to the main panel.  If it's accessible, you could run all the wiring yourself and have the electrician make the final hookups at the panel, spa disconnect, and spa...this might save you some money, or it might not because he is likely getting the wire and conduit a lot cheaper then you probably can.  Just be sure you run a big enough gauge so the electrician doesn't disapprove of your wire run.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:55:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42