What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with new hot tub  (Read 5171 times)

Elle_

Help with new hot tub
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:04:37 pm »
Let me begin by apologizing in advance. I have read a lot of debates on here about Costco v local hot tub stores. (I do know how to google). However, please stick with me.

1. We need a hot tub for a rental cabin, that we also use part time, in Big Bear. It gets cold but not below zero, even in winter.

2. We have a hot tub at the cabin now, and so have had direct, personal experience with the two hot tub companies in the area. I won't make negative statements on here, but yelp hot tub and big bear and it will tell you what you need to know. Even an hour away, the next closest hot tub store also has terrible reviews. In short, this means we are buying without testing, because I won't waste the time of another store that isn't close enough to the cabin to deliver.

3. We are long term Costco users and Costco has never done wrong by us. All else being equal, I trust Costco far more than the local hot tub stores.

4. We are looking at two spas at Costco. I would be interested in your thoughts on either.

http://www.costco.co....100089282.html

http://www.costco.co....100110818.html

I know they are pretty different. We are looking at the Evolution because it is on sale, has three pumps (two of which seem pretty strong), and my husband is excited by the jets. We are looking at the Aquaterra because it is the least expensive hot tub we can find that looks like a real hot tub, runs on a 240 hookup (which we already have installed) and is from a store we trust. I know there was criticism of some Evolutions before for having identical jets, and no insulation, but I think they've solved the jet issue in this one. Not sure about the insulation though.

5. We are not opposed to other brands. We don't want to spend more than $6k, we do need a warranty, and we will not work with the local hot tub companies. Reliability is the most important feature, followed by heating bills, followed by jet power (my husband would flip power and bills, but would value the same three factors).  We could go above $6k for a great hot tub.

Thank you in advance. We are really pretty open on brands, but we need to move fast (angry renters with no hot tub).  Hoping to buy tomorrow (Sunday).   If a store close to our primary residence (west la) is willing to help us get the hot tub to the cabin then we will look here, but I have not found one yet that will commit to this without a huge fee. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:55:31 am by Forum Admin »

Hot Tub Forum

Help with new hot tub
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:04:37 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Help with new hot tub (x-post from another forum)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:08:01 am »
Reliability is the most important feature, followed by heating bills, followed by jet power (my husband would flip power and bills, but would value the same three factors). 

These are the three things the Costco offerings are not good at. But they are good at price and the return policy.
Retired

Elle_

Re: Help with new hot tub
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:13:27 am »
What would you do if you really had no local shops? We are struggling with thinking it would be more prudent to buy in a shop and just flat out not being willing to have anything to do with the only local store that sells hot tubs we are interested in.  We won't consider the local place because it no-showed on repairs four times, then tried to blame our property manager (who is beyond reproach), then tried to charge our credit card an "inspection fee" that was never authorized, then lied to my face about a couple of other matters.  According to Yelp, we are not alone.  So we are really in a tough spot.

meriflower

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 02:05:05 pm »
Aquaterra is made and backed by Watkins which is the same manufacturer of Hot Spring (one of the top brand of spas you see discussed on this forum often).  I have no personal experience from purchasing a big item such as this from Costco nor with any of the spa brands they sell.  Also you will not be able to wet test.

Kev B

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:29:06 pm »
Hello Elle,
 I have seen two aquaterra tubs purchased from Costco and they are an offshoot of Watkins which is a solid company. The main issue for you is what support will you receive when and if anything happens to the tub. many Hot Tub companies will deal with the homeowner in troubleshooting and send you the parts needed and a UPS return label. Before you buy, find out who you will be dealing with in regard to the warranty and give them a call first.
 I do know that Costco has dealings with Clearwater Spas and I really like them for quality and warranty service. I have been a hot tub troubleshooter since 1983.

Quickbeam

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 02:30:16 pm »
Can't really offer you any advice as I don't know anything about Costco tubs. I also do believe it's vitally important to wet test. Having said that, one thing I know for sure is that I would not ever consider purchasing from a dealer who lied to me and tried to charge me unauthorized charges. You really are in a difficult spot. Good luck with your decision and please do let us know how you make out.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Help with new hot tub (x-post from another forum)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »
Reliability is the most important feature, followed by heating bills, followed by jet power (my husband would flip power and bills, but would value the same three factors). 

These are the three things the Costco offerings are not good at. But they are good at price and the return policy.

The offerings at Costco may be your only option at this point because of a crappy local dealer. But your priority's in features will not be met with any of the Costco offerings. So maybe you need to change your priority's? How about listing your priority's as follows, cost, simplicity, return policy. Then you'll have to put reliability, cost of operation, jet power and comfort closer to the bottom.
Retired

Elle_

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 03:55:54 pm »
Yeah, I guess I should put "Doesn't lie to me" as my new top priority, and if that rules out the local dealer, then we get what we get.

Big Bear has a second local dealer that has never lied to us.  They have been slow/impossible to contact, and have not great reviews, but I shouldn't say I would not ever buy there because I might.  The dealer only sellers Catalina spas, though, which is not a brand that has ever interested me.  They do have a used Sundance, though, which I hope we can see soon.

Today, we are going to the hot tub stores near our primary residence, which is 2.5 hours away from Big Bear.  There are several local stores and I am hoping one will consider delivery and may be able to service hot tubs up there.  If not . . . ,

Elle_

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 07:27:47 pm »
We went to a Jacuzzi dealer about 1.5 hours from our cabin today.  We were quoted $7.6 for a 2013 floor model JLX-L.  Wet tested and loved it, BUT the dealer would not come down at all from his first quoted price (offered to throw in chemicals,which are useless to us because we do not maintain our own hot tub) and it is going to cost $125/ visit for service since it is so far away.   If he will come down we will go back but her to walk away today.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 07:27:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42