What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa took a power hit - help!  (Read 4617 times)

Rick_in_Colorado

Spa took a power hit - help!
« on: June 26, 2004, 11:42:04 pm »
Today we had severe weather and nearby lightning strikes.  Losses:  one DirecTV receiver, a printer, a USB card in my computer - and - the hot tub (Catalina) is dead.  Thankfully I had surge protectors covering everything or the damage would have been worse.  The 220 breakers on the spa did not trip.  Tomorrow I plan to pull the side cover off the spa and investigate.  What should I look for?  Is there some sort of internal fuse or breakers that may have protected the spa boards?  Please advise.

Rick

Hot Tub Forum

Spa took a power hit - help!
« on: June 26, 2004, 11:42:04 pm »

tubin

Re: Spa took a power hit - help!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 10:17:33 pm »
ugh, sorry to hear about your tub!

i have no idea about fuses, but i would flip your breakers off and look around for any surge reset switches, glass fuses, burned/brown components.

have you tried cutting th power to the spa for a few minutes and then powering it back up?  

again, these are just suggestions from a electronics dabbler (not a pro)

anyone else please chime in, and in the future, should you flip the breakers off during a bad storm if you are home???

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 06:37:09 am »
Did you check your breaker in the house that feeds the tubs GFCI?
Retired

Rick_in_Colorado

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 09:33:48 am »
I checked the breakers first thing and they didn't trip.  I pulled the cover off the electrical area and found one big-a@s fuse, but I couldn't tell if it was burned out.  The center section wasn't glass - it was made of something that appeared to be tightly woven "wiremesh".  Couldn't see through, but appeared to be intact.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 10:31:53 am »
Sounds like it's time to get a repairman out there.
Brewman
Brewman

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 10:36:43 am »
From what you describe you will need proper testing equipment to test that fuse. I would simply call an electrician to make certain that no other damage to the line or the breaker was made. he can also verify the fuse.. I know that it is not necessarily an automatic thing unlike the computer systems but when  a large voltage surge goes through a line it can, as you have discovered from the many other appliances that fried, affect components.

I would then call my dealer.  This power surge may have friend some of the systems in your tub.  There is no way for you to test that other than to turn it on and see what works and if anything does not.

Good luck.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 06:45:52 pm »
A simple continuity tester will tell you if the fuse is toast.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 06:45:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42