What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Swim spa covered in the Summer months?  (Read 2575 times)

Grandee622

Swim spa covered in the Summer months?
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:59:48 am »
During the Summer months I plan not to use the heater in my swim spa. Here in the south the heat (weather) will keep it plenty warm and During that time I'd rather use it as a plunge pool. My question is do I need to keep it covered 24-7 like I would in the winter(cooler months)time? I know that leaving uncovered would make it subject to debris and critters, rain etc. Unlike other times of the year I'm not concerned (?) with keeping the heat in or water evaporation but I don't want harm the spa. I really appreciate and advice on this idea(I hope not a bad one) of mine! Thanks much!

Hot Tub Forum

Swim spa covered in the Summer months?
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:59:48 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Swim spa covered in the Summer months?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:22:23 am »
It used to be that you didn't want to expose the spa shell to the elements all the time, maybe that has changed. You you may be able to use a tarp or a pool winter cover to cover it. I certainly would ask the dealer what they think.

beachboy

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 09:51:45 am »
I would put the cover on as it is not just critters it is algae spores as well and if you dont keep your water chemistry bang on then you could wake up to a green swim spa.If you were looking at keeping it uncovered you will need
1. A stabilised Chlorine granule/Tablet to inhibit the Chlorine "burning off" with UV light
2.A copper or Quat algaecide to help prevent a green spa
Still turn the heating off and perhaps use in conjuntion with the above a quality bubble cover to allow the water to heat up

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 07:56:28 pm »
I wouldn't expose your shell to UV. I imagine you could go with a "cover for your cover" and remove your top. I bought one for around $66 on Amazon.  I have a picture of it in the "show me your hot tub" section if you want to see what it looks like.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 07:56:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42