What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot springs VS Maax  (Read 7350 times)

metcalf

Hot springs VS Maax
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:24:26 am »
Getting ready to buy our first Hot tub ever.  Currently have an in ground pool so familiar with chemicals.  I know hot tubs take WAY less.  :)

Now after looking at several tubs I am Very confused.   I was sold on getting a Hotsrpings.  At first I was looking at the Flair.  However when my wife, kids and myself got it in we were all over each other.  Lounger made you feel like a pretzel.  Then the dealer was showing us a ARIA (last years model 2013).  They felt they could do a lot better deal on the price.  Right now they have it marked down to $10,899.  Overall, We liked the tub - Lounger was very comfortable and we were not on top of each other.

Here is the issue...  Over the last 2 weeks I have tried to get their best pricing...  I have called back several times and they are too busy.  Say they will get to looking at it closer and call me back.  No calls....    So this caused me to look at a different dealer that sells MAAX. We were looking at the MAAX 481 and to be honest loved it!  More room than the ARIA from HS.  HP on pumps are higher and the price is much lower and I'd get Bluetooth speakers.  After sitting in this tub I went back to see if HS website to see about a little larger tub after sitting in the 481.  I was looking at the Envoy.  It would still fit in my space and appears to be more on the lines of the 481.  I called on Friday to the HS dealer and asked about this.  They informed me that they didn't know if this was available yet and did not have one in stock.  They will call me back if they can get more info that day.  No call....  URGH!!!   So I go in yesterday to the HS dealer and ask then about the Envoy.  I am told they no longer are in production.

Well now the MAAX 481 is looking better and better....  I keep seeing posts about HS being in a class of their own and that you will see the different 6-7 years down the road and so on.

Again so confused right now...  The Maax appears to have all the things we are looking for are call me back. :) 

Honest thoughts on the MAAX 481.  Metal frame versus wood on HS.  Water and wood?  Water and Metal...  Hmmm

I can get into the Maax loaded out with Bluetooth speakers for 3-4K lower that a comparable Hotsprings. 

Thoughts - Help! 

I get brand loyalty...  I love Harley and would never change even like for like quality power and so on.

Really need to know if Maax is really a middle of the road tub  and if so for the price how can you truly go wrong?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:30:22 am by metcalf »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot springs VS Maax
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:24:26 am »

dunecritter

Re: Hot springs VS Maax
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 01:34:27 pm »
There is a significant difference in quality between the two...you will get what you pay for and this will be more apparent down the road.
Wood vs steel...They will both stand the life of the tub so really no negatives either way there.
The new Envoy is not released yet to my knowledge and apparently the dealer has no more 2013's Envoys in stock but they are or will be in production very soon...I'll check on the release and let you know about the Envoy.
I own both a 2014 HS and a MAAX in another home and I will say that there is a difference but the price sets them apart and not that the MAAX is bad but lesser for sure...I'm not disappointed in my MAAX for what I paid for it in my rental home but Honestly I don't use it myself and woiuldn't buy one over the HS for my own personal use...That's just me.
I am a HS dealer.

Quickbeam

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 03:19:15 pm »
I don't know a lot about Maxx tubs other than one I've read on this forum, and I don't think it is considered as one of the top tier tubs. As for Hotsprings, it is one of the better brands. The only concern I'd have is with the dealer. It is extremely important you have a dealer you are comfortable with. Are there any other dealers in your area. Either Hotspring dealers or other top tier manufacturers? If you read through these forums you will find one thing that is stressed over and over again is how important it is to go with a dealer you are comfortable with.

Good luck with your search!

dunecritter

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 03:30:15 pm »
I agree with Quickbeams post and you might want to see if there is another location in your area that sells the HS brand if that's the tub you choose...But buying a lesser product from a dealer you like better doesn't make that product any better unfortunately. This can be frustrating I know...I looked up the new 2014 Envoy and It looks to be available to order right now? So I'm not sure what the deal is with the sales guy telling you it was a discontinued model? They did completely re design the Envoy for 2014 but its still an Envoy. Maybe it was a simple mis understanding?

metcalf

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 03:36:15 pm »
Thanks!  I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they were mistaken.  As far as other dealers there is no one close.  Closest is about 100 miles...

metcalf

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 03:48:53 pm »
There is a significant difference in quality between the two...you will get what you pay for and this will be more apparent down the road.
Wood vs steel...They will both stand the life of the tub so really no negatives either way there.
The new Envoy is not released yet to my knowledge and apparently the dealer has no more 2013's Envoys in stock but they are or will be in production very soon...I'll check on the release and let you know about the Envoy.
I own both a 2014 HS and a MAAX in another home and I will say that there is a difference but the price sets them apart and not that the MAAX is bad but lesser for sure...I'm not disappointed in my MAAX for what I paid for it in my rental home but Honestly I don't use it myself and woiuldn't buy one over the HS for my own personal use...That's just me.
I am a HS dealer.

Dunecritter - Any chance that you could share out the MSRP on the Envoy?  Seems that you are much more aware than my local dealer.  This is really upsetting if this is true that they are available.  I'll get to the bottom of that.  Thanks again for the info as I thought it was strange since the HS website has them.  The local dealer said they must not have updated their site as of yet when I said the are up there.

Again, if you know the MSRP that would be great.   Thanks again!

metcalf

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 12:02:42 am »
Well an update on my hunt...  Tried to call the local Hot Springs dealer on Monday.  They were all busy and would call me back.  Tried again on Tuesday and just got the answering machine.  Called again on Wednesday and asked to speak with the manager.  Got the answer they are busy and will call me back.  I told them not to bother and that I'm just going to a different dealer.  Then all of a sudden someone was available to take my call.  They said we have been meaning to call you back.  It was a mistake and the Envoy actually is available to order.  Retail is $15,200 but they will sell it to me for 12K.  That would include the steps and cover lift.

I told them how frustrated I was with this entire experience and high effort experience trying to buy a tub from them.  Got the standard answer of we are really busy... I get that but if you say your going to do something then do it.  Do not set false expectations...

So ran the deal by my wife and she said NO.  She is tired of their crap and wants the Maax.  So the Maax is on order.  Same warranty as the HS and the tub felt really good.

The other dealer has followed through on all requests.  Better experience overall...  pretty upsetting as I got to a point of almost begging...  Wife is right on this one...

dunecritter

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 10:03:52 am »
I am a HS dealer.

Dunecritter - Any chance that you could share out the MSRP on the Envoy?  Seems that you are much more aware than my local dealer.  This is really upsetting if this is true that they are available.  I'll get to the bottom of that.  Thanks again for the info as I thought it was strange since the HS website has them.  The local dealer said they must not have updated their site as of yet when I said the are up there.

Again, if you know the MSRP that would be great.   Thanks again!
Sorry Metcalf....I never noticed this reply/question...I don't think that you made the best decision on the tub as far as the tub itself is concerned but I do understand your frustration...Not to defend the dealer that has frustrated you in any way but they might be in just a simple skeleton crew situation at the moment or something crazy with new staff??? The reasons are unknown and not relevant to the potential customer...They lost a potential sale due to the fact that they did not properly communicate in a timely manor. Bummer for them.
I hope that you enjoy that new spa and keep us posted with all your future Happy Soaks!

Chartreux

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 10:21:29 am »
So very sorry you had to go through all that ..
I hope the tub you get will last you for years to come, they say on here it's not as good as the top ones, but when you can get any of the top ones to help then you do what you have to..
Maybe send a complaint to the BBB on that Dealer.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 10:52:01 am »
  Yeah I can't say I agree with your decision which may prove itself in the longevity of the spa, compared to the HS,  but if your happy and better yet the wife is  ;)  can't blame you...      Enjoy the spa would love to see some pics when you get it! 

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 11:18:54 am »
If they can't service you to buy a tub, then how will they be when something goes wrong.

I'm a Maax owner and see the brand consistently denigrated on this site.
I purchased mostly because the DW liked the features and was willing to go above the budget based on the features and selling experience.

Admittedly I didn't see the internal workings of all the other tubs, but I would say the build quality and construction of the tub is very good.
Fit and finish are also good.
I don't have wide hot tub experience, but I have a large amount of manufacturing quality experience and by means of visual inspection the tub seems to built robustly.

Personally I would weigh the dealer and possibility for future support heavily in the overall experience.
There were several brands with tubs that I was interested in that basically I gave no consideration to because of past experience with the dealers.

Quickbeam

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 12:07:36 pm »
Sorry as well to hear about your experience. Don’t know much about Maax spas, but I do know there is no way on earth I would have purchased a tub from the Hotspring dealer you were talking to.
Happy soaking and enjoy your new tub!

dunecritter

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 02:02:47 pm »
Maybe send a complaint to the BBB on that Dealer.
No...Don't waste your time
Can't send a legitimate complaint to the BBB...He is not a customer of theirs and has had no sales purchases with them...BBB is a middle man agency to report to when issues cannot get resolved when you have an issue with a product/service with that said merchant. BBB would then attempt to mediate and resolve issues with their business experience in handling such claims.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 02:02:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42