What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Clearwater Spas?  (Read 13954 times)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Clearwater Spas?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 11:23:19 pm »
Update: Just got home from the Jacuzzi/Sundance dealer. Dealer made a great impression as did the J495! What an impressive tub! Massive, aesthetically pleasing, perfect layout for my tastes, nice set of features, only one problem...price. MSRP just south of 19K, "sale" price just south of 16K. The salesman said he could give me a "cash deal" of 13.3K, including "upgraded" cover and lifter, composite steps, JBL sound system. So, this feels like a pretty good deal, but over the initial arbitrary budget by a third!

I am now down to a four horse race between A8, Grandee, J495, and Clearwater XS93NL. I know, one of these things is not like the other. Obviously, the Clearwater is a step down in class, but it is big enough for our needs, and would be far cheaper. I get a very good vibe from the dealer, and they seem well made, just low on features. Tough decision. I'll have to schedule some wet tests!

All things ($) being equal, which tub would you choose between the first three? Why?

Nick
You are looking at Clearwater's entry level tub.  If you look at their Beachcraft series, you will see a lot more features.  Look at the Tradition.  It is the same size as the xs93NL and has no lounger, but a lot more features.  It should fall right around your target budget. 
+1...I can't even begin to say how very true that statement it. For some reason they have a budget & deluxe package or line in each series. I.E,..just like under the Honda accord line it has 3 series EX, LX, DX. Clear water has an XS line with a Signature series that is such a big bump in finish & #jets from the lesser Gold series it's ridiculous. Notice how proficient I am with the models when one spends all day researching.  ;)

A picture can say a 1000 words right?..well here it is for your eyes only. One quick glance & there's no doubt as to which is the higher series. In fact it doesn't even look like it's from the same mfg. Ok so now do you see why after countless hours on the net I brushed off all the other big names like Hot Springs & Bull Frog after another member from this very same forum brought up Clearwater so one look & I was hooked line & sinker as you big boys would say.

Ok get off the soap box, Clearwater builds a nice spa, they drill a chit load of holes in their spa's and everyone goes ooh ahh like they are watching fireworks on the 4th of July..    The spas mrmjo1111 are looking at or considering are apples to oranges to the Clearwater spa that you may have purchased.     Since you have done all your "internet" research almost every mnfg has different entry level spas and high end.      You put 2 pictures up, guess what they use the same filter and the same jets from the same mnfg. probably the same equipment pak.   The shell mold is even the same, look at the tooling my guess is the one on the left only has one pump vs 2 and is probably cheaper. 

All that being said it's great you come here and add the 2cents you offer, but you have to realize many here have been around the block a time or two, but hey welcome! 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 11:23:19 pm »

petals20

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 08:50:41 am »
Whoa Betsy take it ez,.. count to ten.  8) Is it a sin to show a little excitement for my hot tub? I don't recall putting down or thrashing any hot tub mfg or brand so cut me some slack Mr Jacuzzi.

Let's have some fun alright folks. I just saw this Q & A in a hot tub expo on YT & thought it was pretty funny. You're not going to like this Jim so I'm warning you not to watch it, you might blow a gasket.

PoolAndSpaMoose: Now another remarkable feature that I think separates the Clear water brand from other brands, is the fact that you guys have a lot of # jets in the configuration.

Rep from Clear water: We like to joke that we put out more jets than Boeing ;D
Getting away from fiberglass allows us to build a stronger shell, then you can put more jets in there. Then we use "medical" placements & other things to set the seats up so the jets are not just randomly placed around. They're designed to hit you at certain areas.

http://youtu.be/S82BxDMRO6I

Chartreux

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 09:20:40 am »
to mrmojo1111, hey have you looked at the J-465 model it's a big tub, might be more in line with your price point as well...
Good luck in what you choose, just hold firm to your price and you might be able to get a deal...

I wish I could've seen the J-415 it's a smaller tub, but no Jacuzzi dealer around me has that one...I might check far out of my Area just to see if I can find one in the J-415...

Good luck to you...P.S. if you get the J-495, I might pop a flight over to you to look at it! (hehehe...just joking)

mrmojo1111

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 09:56:52 am »
We are wet testing Jacuzzi and Hot Springs this afternoon. They don't have a 495 in the wet test room (won't fit) but they do have the 470, which should suffice to give us a good feel for seat depth, jets, foot dome, etc. Also curious to see how big the Grandee feels. Seems like the rectangular configuration gives more of a small pool feel (which we like) versus the traditional square tub.

dunecritter

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 10:54:28 am »
When you wet test the Grandee I recommend playing with the Diverter valves to show how the pressures can change from seat to seat and also take notice as to how Quiet it actually is when all pumps are on high...You will not feel like your sitting in a jet engine with all the noise many tubs will have...You can also turn off the water feature to enjoy en even quieter soaking experience.. Even though the BellaFontana water feature is very quiet when in operation...It will have large jets and will offer a lot of volume and pressure without having 20 holes drilled in the shell...Same goes for the Jacuzzi!

petals20

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 10:55:38 am »

All that being said it's great you come here and add the 2cents you offer, but you have to realize many here have been around the block a time or two, but hey welcome! 
Mr Jacuzzi,..I reckon you might be a Jacuzzi rep so if you or anyone here with industry know-how can give me advise on this I would appreciate it.

This hot tub on the surface looks like a screaming deal not too mention all the bells & whistle it comes with. Now this looks so tempting it could lure me away from both the Clear water & LA spa model I was set on. Is this hot tub legit & worth it's weight in gold or is this another one of those "if it sounds to good to be true" then most likely it is.

Please just give it an honest appraisal and not just toss it by the wayside because it's not the normal standards of working with your local dealer.
Oops forgot to provide the link here it is...

http://www.islandspasandhottubs.com/hot-tubs/cabaret-portable-spa.html

* You have admit she's quite a stunner yes? Goodness gracious, and it's only 3K are you kidding me with that,.. Wowser's. This just might the one folks...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:06:56 am by petals20 »

dunecritter

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 11:17:29 am »
Smoke and Mirrors Petals...Ever see the add for the eighty dollar Apple notebooks with a minimum purchase volume of 10? yeah guy gets his awesome purchase from UPS and it was a stack of ten paper notebooks with an apple decal on the cover...haha...Gotta love the interet. You think when you go to a reputable mfgr that builds quality they have a picture of an operator with a phone headset on waiting to take your call...HAHA... I want to buy a ROLEX for eighty bucks too! But it looks like a ROLEX and the add said it was just as good??? C'mon Petals...Your not that gullible are you?? Throw some cold water on your face and lets get factual! You can do this...

mrmojo1111

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 11:57:37 am »
CHARTREUX: I have a feeling that if we end up with a 495 in our back yard, there will be plenty of people "popping over"!

Quickbeam

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 01:25:29 pm »

Mr Jacuzzi,..I reckon you might be a Jacuzzi rep so if you or anyone here with industry know-how can give me advise on this I would appreciate it.

This hot tub on the surface looks like a screaming deal not too mention all the bells & whistle it comes with. Now this looks so tempting it could lure me away from both the Clear water & LA spa model I was set on. Is this hot tub legit & worth it's weight in gold or is this another one of those "if it sounds to good to be true" then most likely it is.

Please just give it an honest appraisal and not just toss it by the wayside because it's not the normal standards of working with your local dealer.
Oops forgot to provide the link here it is...

http://www.islandspasandhottubs.com/hot-tubs/cabaret-portable-spa.html

* You have admit she's quite a stunner yes? Goodness gracious, and it's only 3K are you kidding me with that,.. Wowser's. This just might the one folks...

Petals, you are going to end up spending money and not being very happy. You really should start listening to advice. When people like Jacuzzi Jim, Tman, Dunecritter, etc. start giving you advice, it would be to your advantage to listen to them.

Here's my take on it. I would never, ever buy off the internet. There are two rules of thumb we went by. Number one get a tub from one of the top manufacturers and number two find a dealer you can trust. I would not buy a tub from a dealer I didn't trust even if it was top tier and I wouldn't buy a lower tier tub if I trusted the dealer. To me each of these was just as important as the other. There is also a third and that is be absolutely sure you wet test before you buy, and you can't do that with a tub you are going to buy off the internet.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:15 pm »
I bought my Artic Spa on the internet, am very pleased with my tub and the process went smoothly.
As a matter of fact, I have negotiated many major purchases via email or on the internet.
It has worked for me.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 02:03:11 pm »
  Well I chatted with Jane for awhile and she really wanted to sell me a spa..  But they don't have dealer within a 1000 miles so I politely declined..    Honestly never heard of that brand before..     Like I said Clearwater builds a nice a spa and you would probably be fine..   Take a look at Artesian spa's as well, you might find something in your budget..

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 02:25:00 pm »
Interesting. Island Spas is a brand manufactured by Artesian Spas (a very reputable US manufacturer)...However, they don't have a model Cabaret as show in your link, and their control panel looks completely different. Best I can tell from the picture, this looks like a Chinese made spa, and if so, it's HIGHLY unlikely the spa is "properly" UL listed, which would make it illegal (code violation) to install in any municipality I'm aware of (and no, it's not illegal to sell it, just to install it).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 02:29:08 pm »
Yup....China

chatting online I just got a HUGE cut and paste response that included;

"They buy the parts in USA and then assembled them in ISO 9000 factory overseas and then shipped back to USA and then to you."

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

dunecritter

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 02:30:24 pm »
I bought my Artic Spa on the internet, am very pleased with my tub and the process went smoothly.
As a matter of fact, I have negotiated many major purchases via email or on the internet.
It has worked for me.

Rosewood...Your story is a bit different...Arctic does have dealers and is in fact a reputable brand vs Internet no name "XYZ" brand tubs that boast and claim the best in the world blah blah ... You bought direct due to distance and convenience only...Lots of internet tubs have no retail locations, dealer loyalty and don't back up the consumer when it matters and is needed most. I would NEVER EVER buy an online tub. I want service and a smiling face to go visit if ever I needed to get an issue resolved. I want support and loyalty with a purchase as big as a hot tub. my $.02
Forbid you ever need service and there is no product representation in your area...Kinda difficult to repair a tub over the phone unless your the one turning the wrench for them.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 02:32:26 pm »
The controls are ETL approved, as controls. The pump itself is ETL approved. BUT, the entire spa, is not approved (requirements are for the entire spa to be approved, such as an appliance).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 02:32:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42