What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New vs used  (Read 10309 times)

Lacey

New vs used
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:09:47 pm »
Hi,  I am looking into buying a hottub and I am wondering about buying a used tub.  The tubs I see on Craigslist tend to be 10 years old or more.  Am I buying trouble?  I am in Minnesota and want high efficiency, not fancy low maintenance for 8 people.  Any suggestions.  I am hoping to spend less than $6000 total.  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

New vs used
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:09:47 pm »

Isaac-1

Re: New vs used
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 07:13:01 pm »
Deals can be found on used tubs, but you have to sift through a lot of junk in the process.  A few things you should be aware of though, first hot tub warranties do not transfer.  Also generally speaking hot tubs depreciate by about 50% as soon as they are installed, so if you search enough you can likely find a qualty brand hot tub that is only a year or two old for half its new price.  Then you can expect to take about another 10% off for each additional year of age if bought from a private seller.  I would also suggest sticking with major brand name tubs if your going to buy used, and expand your shopping beyond craigslist, also check ebay,  bookoo (or other regional oneline lists.) and aggrigators like oodle, and searchtempest.  Also remember where the tub was installed and how it was cared for make a bigger difference than age some of the time, a few months ago I bought a 15 year old Hot Spring Jetsetter for about $1,000 off ebay (I had to pick it up 100 miles away), at first this may seem insane, but this tub appears to have spent its whole life indoors, and is therefore in much better condition than one might expect of a tub its age, now sure I had to invest about $300 in it, replacing a circulaiton pump, etc., but still the circa $1,500 I have invested in this tub including pick up cost, is a lot less than the $7,000 that a new Jetsetter runs.  (the week after I bought mine I spotted a 2 year old Jetsetter for sale 20 miles away for $3,500, someone was moving and could not take it with them)

Chartreux

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 07:53:43 pm »
Go for new, Most warranties and depending on the brand are 10 yrs, so do not expect a warranty on used.
It's one of those situations that you really can't tell...Someone knowledged on them could probably make a great deal, but it's so Iffy...
just my 2cent opinion...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 08:41:42 pm »
A 1 day old second hand spa has no warranty (warranties aren't transferable).

That being said, the THOUSANDS of $ you can save buying used, would buy a LOT of repairs...but as said, you need to know a bit, to be sure you're getting a decent deal to begin with.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

dunecritter

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:39:10 pm »
If you are a mechanically inclined DIY kind of person and you have some experience with hot tubs and know what to look for as far as internal water care abuse...Used for the right price might be a decent way to go and save some Cash...But if your not a qualified DIY guy and have never owned a tub and know not what to look for in a used tub....Stick with new and sleep well knowing the tub is covered under a warranty. You can find nice tubs such as a Hot Spring Rhythm as an example that will hold 7 people brand new with a 5 year warranty with all the latest and greatest whistles and bells for around $6-$6500. That's in your expected budget.. Food for thought.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:15:09 pm »
If you are going to buy pre-owned, find one from a dealer.  It will have been refurbished and usually have a dealer's warranty.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Topline Mike

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 09:21:09 am »
The two previous posters are dealers, if you can believe that, and I will disagree with both of their posts.  You don't have to be a DIY'er to own a used tub.  There are hot tub service folks that can help you out who are not dealers.  And when your warranty expires, you graduate to a certified DIY'er anyway, unless you pay for continued service from your dealer. 

Here's my story.  We went to 3 local dealers and had 7 wet tests so we knew what my family was looking for. We were going to buy a Marquis Epic if we couldn't find a nice used one.   I used searchtempest to look for a used tub.  Within the first hour of looking, we found a used jacuzzi that was less than one year old, for half the price of new.  The tub was 7.5 hrs away, cost me $300 for gas, but it was all well worth the trip.  The tub was on sale at my local jacuzzi dealer for $11,500.  I may have gotten the dealer to go down to $10,000, but then I still had to pay sales tax and other small start up fees, so delivered to my house would have been $10,500 to $11,000.  I paid $5000 for this tub.  If a pump fails or the heater burns out in the next 5 years, I'm still way ahead.  The deals are out there, you just have to be patient, or in my case, get lucky in the first hour. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 11:20:24 am »
You'll find stories from those who made out well with a used spa but you'll also find stories of those who ended up with a big bird bath in their back yard. Used tubs can be a good deal but its always a crapshoot though if you're a DIYer, you're patient and picky you can find some good deals or you can consider a used spa from a dealer that has been thoroughly checked out and may come with a store warranty of maybe 6 months or so.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Sam

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 02:19:21 pm »
The two previous posters are dealers, if you can believe that, and I will disagree with both of their posts.  You don't have to be a DIY'er to own a used tub.  There are hot tub service folks that can help you out who are not dealers.  And when your warranty expires, you graduate to a certified DIY'er anyway, unless you pay for continued service from your dealer. 

Here's my story.  We went to 3 local dealers and had 7 wet tests so we knew what my family was looking for. We were going to buy a Marquis Epic if we couldn't find a nice used one.   I used searchtempest to look for a used tub.  Within the first hour of looking, we found a used jacuzzi that was less than one year old, for half the price of new.  The tub was 7.5 hrs away, cost me $300 for gas, but it was all well worth the trip.  The tub was on sale at my local jacuzzi dealer for $11,500.  I may have gotten the dealer to go down to $10,000, but then I still had to pay sales tax and other small start up fees, so delivered to my house would have been $10,500 to $11,000.  I paid $5000 for this tub.  If a pump fails or the heater burns out in the next 5 years, I'm still way ahead.  The deals are out there, you just have to be patient, or in my case, get lucky in the first hour.

Dealers spend a lot of money on keeping tubs hot and ready to wet test and on knowledgeable staff to show you around and assist with that wet test so you can "know what your family is looking for".  They also offer free advice over the phone when you are confused about the operation of the hot tub that you saved thousands on by buying used.  Thank god for those evil dealers who have done all of this for you at no charge whatsoever.

dunecritter

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 05:47:29 pm »

Shame on us dealers trying to profit...crazy to think we could actually pay our rent, utilities,  Advertising,  Employees,  a warehouse, Equipment,  and keep a store open 7 days a week including almost all holidays....silly dealers...I guess we gotta do it for free and sell everything at cost from now on....right Mike???

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 06:21:14 pm »
  Mikes was an exception to the rule, people do find good deals but not often in the used world.   If I had a dime for how many calls I take with the guy saying??   Uhh I bought this used spa and filled it but it doesn't run, can I ask you some questions?     Sure.

Wow like that sounds like it might be expensive?   Yes, yes it is..   

No dealer likes what Mike did but it happens, I usually get their chem and service business and have a good chance of selling them a spa at some point, if not oh well.       

Topline Mike

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »
All I'm saying is that there are other good options as to buying new.  I'm sorry, but it's in my blood.  I like to buy vehicles that are broke in with 100,000 miles on them.  I've never bought a new vehicle, and I never will.  Obviously, there are people who will not buy unless it is new.  There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not the way I roll. 

I've been a business owner since 2003, so you don't have to remind me of overhead, marketing, etc.  Sell high, buy low.  Have a great Memorial Day weekend, folks.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 10:30:51 pm »
All I'm saying is that there are other good options as to buying new.  I'm sorry, but it's in my blood.  I like to buy vehicles that are broke in with 100,000 miles on them.  I've never bought a new vehicle, and I never will.  Obviously, there are people who will not buy unless it is new.  There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not the way I roll. 

I've been a business owner since 2003, so you don't have to remind me of overhead, marketing, etc.  Sell high, buy low.  Have a great Memorial Day weekend, folks.

The fact it has worked for you is great but your single experience does not in any way change what is known about buying used in the spa industry and had you had bad luck that wouldn't be a sign for all others to stay away either. Buying used items in general is not the issue, its that used spas are not just like any other used item out there. They're difficult to move, you NEVER really know what you're getting (though hopefully you'll test it beforehand to get a general idea of how it operates) and often the unknown issues that may arise are more than the average person is willing or able to handle. You have to be very diligent with what you buy (even more so than with used cars in many ways) and IMO you really should be a decent DIYer to go the used spa route. Its all about going in with your eyes open which is why people here comment as they do.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Isaac-1

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 04:21:55 am »
As a person that bought a 15 year old hot tub and is a moderately skilled DIY'er I can see the point of both sides, at least to a degree.  I think the dealers do get lots of phone calls from people that should never have bought a used hot tub, that have no DIY ability, and I am sure it quickly starts to feel like the world if full of idiots, but if your the type that can do common handy man level DIY projects, like change out a water heater or replace a float switch on a  dish washer, then if you spend some time reading and researching online you can probably handle a mostly functional semi-modern hot tub (21st century).  One thing I found that made it easy for me is I bought a major brand product (Hot Spring), and found that there are step by step youtube videos for most of the common failure points.    Need to change out a circulation pump or need to ID which revision of heater you have, no problem there are step by step videos for that.

doodle

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 10:00:18 am »
Lacey - if you are already experienced with water care and can hold your own, then I think a used tub could be a great option.  I am not so I chose to go new and pay that premium for a dealer and a warranty.   Unfortunately, I think I chose the wrong dealer because I ended up with a tub I like, but I'm not getting any support (and I chose a dealer that was a little farther away to get the tub I wanted).   It's ended up that I'm getting support from the more local fantastic Jacuzzi dealer who I almost bought my tub before choosing to go Marquis.   I buy my chemical from this dealer but really wish I had just got the tub there too.   Unfortunately, it's not like you can pack the tub back in the box and return it like a pair of shoes!

It's just food for thought.   If you are in a position where you think you are going to need help and advice, don't discount how much the dealer is going to fit into the mix. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 10:00:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42