What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shopping & totally confused! Thoughts on these spas?  (Read 19774 times)

BethS

Re: Shopping & totally confused! Thoughts on these spas?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 08:20:36 pm »
Care to share more detail on why?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 08:20:36 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 08:55:43 pm »
Care to share more detail on why?

Do a simple google search on them and you will figure it out

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 09:16:19 pm »
Buying a hot tub was more difficult for me than buying a new car.  Hang in there. You will find what you are looking for.  I did.

Isaac-1

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 10:33:35 pm »
As the others said hang in there.  I was a bit overwhelmed by it all too when I was shopping a few months back, then ended up taking a 3rd option when I found a quaulty older used tub in very good condition for about 1/6th of what I was planning on spending on a new tub.  Looking back I think I made the right choice even if I replace this tub in a year or two, as it gives me time to decide what features are important to me and which I could care less about.  For example this older Hot Spring Jetsetter tub just has the basic one blue only multi brightness tub light, no color changing or surround lighiting, etc.  In the last 4 months of hot tub ownership I have yet to turn on the light for purposes other than trying it out.  In addition to that there are probably half a dozen little things that I either like or dislike that would never have occured to me in shopping.

Ike

BethS

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 10:52:20 pm »
Thanks everyone!  All the input is helpful.  I declare buying our house was easier! ;)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 07:40:39 am »
While Master Spa makes a just barely OK product. Their reputation for deceit alone would be enough to steer me away. How is the dealer? Have you found any dealers yet that have not filled you with BS?
Retired

BethS

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 01:00:19 pm »
The dealer was local, not a show guy, which from everything I am reading is a major plus for Master Spas.  He and his partner have owned the store for 7 years.  Haven't been able to locate anything negative on the business.  He was informative, but not pushy, which is good, because my husband and I do not do pushy.  We tend to say See ya!  The few reviews that we have been able to find, have been from one extreme to the other, but more relating to the dealers than the products.  The one we liked,  looks good, but you know the saying, Don't let looks fool you!  Thought about a wet test, but now I am not sure.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »
Twilight series is mid range spa from a mid range manufacuturer.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Sam

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 02:02:43 pm »
Thank you to everyone that has responded!  All of your input is very helpful.  One reason the Maax was attractive was the metal framing rather than wood on the others, but it sounds like the other issues offset this possible benefit.

Did the MAXX salesman tell you metal framing was better?

I'm on my third metal BBQ grill on the same wooden deck.

Not defending steel here because I have seen them rust, but your BBQ grill is exposed to 500 degree grease splattering all over it.  Also, are you regularly treating that wood deck?  I have never seen anyone take off their panels and apply treatment to their wood frames.  Most wood framed hot tubs do not use pressure treating by the way.  I have seen plenty of wood framed tubs just fall apart when attempting to move them.  I personally think injection molded plastic is the best material for a frame. 

All of this aside, the frame shouldn't be a major deciding factor.  There are some great tubs out there with wood frames.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 09:33:36 pm »
Agreed. I knew someone would bring up the heat thing..........But if you held a 4' chunk of 2x4 in your hands and a 4' chunk of that thin galvanized stud material, trust me you would rather have the wood in a club fight. But alas.....we are talking hot tub frame.

I've seen rotten wood tub frames also. But it was never the reason the tub was being disposed of.
Retired

Chartreux

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 08:46:58 am »
Go and try a Dimensions1 hot tub/spa (now owned by Jacuzzi) if you want more to consider...or retest the Sundance, Hot Springs and Caldera, carefully look over all these tubs and check and see if they have what you want in them and maybe check the energy efficiency as to what your month costs to run would be and ask each dealer about the warranties...Compare features, Hot Springs has a Status indicator light on most, Jacuzzi has it on the higher end ones, this is just one feature to consider...Hot Springs is probably the more expensive in your grouping...So you do have a lot to consider...Good luck and do not make and take time with your buy...Also, call some spa repairmen in your area and ask which spa has the higher repair rates (one website had that as a suggestion ). Just trying to help you out...

dunecritter

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 09:55:35 am »
Thank you to everyone that has responded!  All of your input is very helpful.  One reason the Maax was attractive was the metal framing rather than wood on the others, but it sounds like the other issues offset this possible benefit.

Did the MAXX salesman tell you metal framing was better?

I'm on my third metal BBQ grill on the same wooden deck.

Not defending steel here because I have seen them rust, but your BBQ grill is exposed to 500 degree grease splattering all over it.  Also, are you regularly treating that wood deck?  I have never seen anyone take off their panels and apply treatment to their wood frames.  Most wood framed hot tubs do not use pressure treating by the way.  I have seen plenty of wood framed tubs just fall apart when attempting to move them.  I personally think injection molded plastic is the best material for a frame. 

All of this aside, the frame shouldn't be a major deciding factor.  There are some great tubs out there with wood frames.

A cold roll steel BBQ grill dipped in porcelain is not even remotely a close comparison...Besides the grease would never effect the porcelain as porcelain is dipped at 1500 deg. Also a bbq grill is suspended from the ground and away from sitting water such as a wet pan in a tub that would hold the moisture much longer. But in a way it is a good example because most bbq manufactures use mild steel drip trays under the bbq to catch the dripping grease and is galvanized....This drip tray is the first thing to rust out on every bbq grill.
Hot Springs also has a molded plastic frame on the NXT series High Life models. Not treated wood like the original High Life models.

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 02:03:54 pm »
The same reason you originally considered the Maax is the same reason to run from the Master Spa.
Bet they didn't try and talk up their construction, or try to show you around under the hood.

Here was my buying experience:
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php?topic=16022.15

A year and a half later, no regrets.

petals20

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 04:35:11 am »
We are new to purchasing a hot tub.  Trying to be responsible consumers, we have read everything we can find,  wet tested Caldera, Hot Springs and Vita Maax.  Have checked into Sundance, but no wet test.   All the sales folks have their spin of course on why theirs is the best.  This is the most confusing item we have ever shopped for.  Can anyone share their pros/con's on any or all of these distributors?  Thanks!
Isn't just the most strangest thing evur? I mean I'm still shell shocked as to how many outlets & resource is there for us on the net it's scary. You know the routine right?, it always starts with that innocent Google search that takes you to this review on amazon, then that might take you to another merchant site, then to a forum where you'll start reading the threads like it was your last day on earth.

Then next thing your know you've 30 tabs opened up, then next watching You tube reviews which of course to you commenting or replying back to other forums. It's like this vast big universe where you loosed all awareness of time.

And I was just like you, I had "thought" I've come to the conclusion that Hot springs & Caldera a week of researching but nope. I've discovered many other hot tubs mfg just as good as HS or Caldera like Artic, Clearwater, LA spa, Artesian, Coast, and it doesn't stop.

Like so today, I just discovered another great mfg in Beach comber. Can someone pls tell me why the hot tub mart is so prolific? Again if you scan at that list of mfg from PoolandSpa it will make you dizzy. I reckon there's a gazillion # of folks who buy these hot tubs or else they wouldn't be making them and in such astronomical #'s.

Chartreux

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 12:57:24 pm »
petals20, it can be overwhelming, but you can find a good Hot tub/spa for you. This is a very good forum and others will comeby to help you out.
Maybe you need to start off with a list of things you want from a spa and then others on here can then point you in the correct direction...I want one for heat therapy and not overly large, just a 2- 3 person, ect and that's how you start to narrow it down...good luck with your search and keep open to Sundance brands as well....
my opinion...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 12:57:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42